XFL Trademarks "UFL"

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL Trademarks "UFL"

Post by 4th&long »

Joker wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:01 pm XFL name has always been better than UFL. Seems like a downgrade to me.
I'd rather XFL than UFL, but UFL isn't the worst.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I agree with Joker, seems like a real come down.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

UFL name issues?

Post by 4th&long »

>> The Markcast®@the_markcast
Besides potential other legal issues related to the upcoming #XFL-#USFL merger government approval, it appears that "Football United LLC" who has a previously existing claim to the "United Football League" trademark has requested and been granted an extension to oppose said trademark filing until 2/14/2024.

Will be curious to see what the new league will be called, multiple trademarks have been secured between the @USFL
- "National Spring Football League" and @XFL2023
- "United Football League".

Thanks to listener Stephen for bringing this to my attention.
12:18 AM · Nov 13, 2023 <<

While I'm not buying gov approval issues (separate legal issues maybe) the UFL name issue does not surprise me.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: UFL name issues?

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:51 am

>> The Markcast®@the_markcast
Besides potential other legal issues related to the upcoming #XFL-#USFL merger government approval, it appears that "Football United LLC" who has a previously existing claim to the "United Football League" trademark has requested and been granted an extension to oppose said trademark filing until 2/14/2024.

Will be curious to see what the new league will be called, multiple trademarks have been secured between the @USFL
- "National Spring Football League" and @XFL2023
- "United Football League".

Thanks to listener Stephen for bringing this to my attention.
12:18 AM · Nov 13, 2023 <<

While I'm not buying gov approval issues (separate legal issues maybe) the UFL name issue does not surprise me.
the opposition probably comes from the scam league that calls itself the UFL run by Joe McClendon, who continues to believe he'll have a league despite everyone else saying it's nothing more than a scam.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

An astute X user noted the challenge was filed against the USFL, when it was the XFL that filed for the trademark.

Oops.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

A lot of bad choices for names. UFL not good. NSFL also not great, as it is too close to NFL. The best choices are XFL or USFL. The only problem with using one of those names is it will give the impression one league is absorbing the other league. It's a head scratcher.

My vote would be to use XFL and let people think the USFL was assimilated. :D
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

FootballYoda wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:28 pm A lot of bad choices for names. UFL not good. NSFL also not great, as it is too close to NFL. The best choices are XFL or USFL. The only problem with using one of those names is it will give the impression one league is absorbing the other league. It's a head scratcher.

My vote would be to use XFL and let people think the USFL was assimilated. :D
UNITED SPRING FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Just a thought. Fits the current "USFL" initials and the combining of two leagues into one. Though USFL or XFL are likely better.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Hey I'm still waiting for that exciting season, er, team scrimmage, er Memorial (in honor of all their stadiums) recap--all in good time I guess :lol:

And they're supposedly hiring GMs, of course no word if they're going the email route like MLF :lol:

This is going to be the greatest UFL season ever, (of course these current robber barons haven't had one yet but that's just splitting hairs) of course they're going to fight to defend their name! :lol:
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Ok, since we are all offering potential league names, not including XFL or USFL, how about ASFL - American Spring Football League. It is descriptive without retreading any old name (that I am aware of anyway). I suppose another could be NAFL, North American football League but close to NFL. Fun to think about anyway.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Firecop wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:12 pm Ok, since we are all offering potential league names, not including XFL or USFL, how about ASFL - American Spring Football League. It is descriptive without retreading any old name (that I am aware of anyway). I suppose another could be NAFL, North American football League but close to NFL. Fun to think about anyway.
I don't mind ASFL but I googled it and found this: https://www.asfl.biz/
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.