USFL-XFL merged league teams, size, season speculation

XFL Football discussion.
Rmbay
Running Back

Re: USFL-XFL merged league teams, size, season speculation

Post by Rmbay »

Dome Dome Dome wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:40 pm Curious then as to whether the eight USFL teams survive outright or we get relocations ala Tampa/Memphis.
That might depend on whether there's another Fred Smith willing to throw some money their way.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:56 pm Reading between the lines on the 46 (player LOIs), it's mostly the four teams mentioned plus Houston and Vegas. The teams that would have de facto mergers of their own would be the "Gambnecks" and Vegas/Pittsburgh (into Canton).

So what would that leave us with?

NORTH
Philadelphia
New Jersey
Michigan
DC
St. Louis
Ohio

SOUTH
Birmingham
Memphis
Arlington
San Antonio
Houston
New Orleans

There's a few things to work out there: Where does Anthony Blevins end up--if even at all since the guy who hired him's gone? How many hubs? How much modification to bring each's rules in line? What are we looking at schedule-wise/season setup?

I would suspect this is all in motion even before the OK is, well, OK'd.
I will say a divisional alignment like this would probably save a decent amount of money, especially if each division had its own hub for teams to fly out of.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Rmbay wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:51 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:54 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:43 pm It seems like they are keeping New Jersey and Philly for TV purposes, assuming of course those two are actually going to play in the cities that they have been assigned to.
Philly notched a .37 local rating in the 2022 championship compared to Birmingham 10.1 local rating. That's basically test pattern ratings at this point. If you called them the Baltimore Stars at this point I doubt it would affect the Philadelphia ratings one way or the other.
They did trademark the Baltimore Stars earlier this year.
Scary thought though close hub to DC - but no please
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

https://pfnewsroom.com/news/latest-usfl ... eams-safe/

>> Over the past couple of weeks, multiple sources have indicated that all eight USFL teams are likely “safe” within a merger. Considering that the merged league is reportedly to feature around 12 teams, this is a major shakeup in the structure of a “50-50” affair.<<
XFL4ever
Quarterback

Post by XFL4ever »

4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 pm https://pfnewsroom.com/news/latest-usfl ... eams-safe/

>> Over the past couple of weeks, multiple sources have indicated that all eight USFL teams are likely “safe” within a merger. Considering that the merged league is reportedly to feature around 12 teams, this is a major shakeup in the structure of a “50-50” affair.<<
I hope that’s not true. If so the hub thing will be happening again. FOX only wants a tv product, they could care less about running a true professional league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

XFL4ever wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:10 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:25 pm https://pfnewsroom.com/news/latest-usfl ... eams-safe/

I hope that’s not true. If so the hub thing will be happening again. FOX only wants a tv product, they could care less about running a true professional league.
Of course its a true professional league. It's run differently as it ramps up, there are no hard and fast rules.

We don't know the exact number but a large portion of the teams will be playing in home cities. Already Memphis is having an event with fans on season tix seat selection soon.

Fox as with RBC plan was to sell off a large portion or teams to investors. One benefit of 1 vs 2 leagues is attraction to investors.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

This is starting to look more like a catch-and-kill operation on Fox's part.

I have serious issues with the USFL because of the inherent dishonesty over the hubs. For two years, they have flat-out lied about having teams in the New York City area and Philadelphia (and Pittsburgh and Houston). Yet this merger is going to reward that deceit by allowing Fox to continue to maintain that lie.

There are no affordable stadia in Philadelphia or New Jersey. We all know that. That's why the XFL didn't bring back the New York Guardians.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:27 am

I have serious issues with the USFL because of the inherent dishonesty over the hubs. For two years, they have flat-out lied about having teams in the New York City area and Philadelphia (and Pittsburgh and Houston). Yet this merger is going to reward that deceit by allowing Fox to continue to maintain that lie.

There are no affordable stadia in Philadelphia or New Jersey. We all know that. That's why the XFL didn't bring back the New York Guardians.
IMO the XFL never should have launched this late, 2022 was pushing it already. As I posted years ago, they were banking on Rock appeal. In the end Rock appeal XFL viewership = USFL even if it skewed younger. That could be because of winter v spring. Instead of merger talks with CFL they should have merged with USFL. Perhaps they learned from that they needed a season to be taken seriously.
But what ever the reason, they launched a year after USFL and it was a Split decision so why continue as is... its merge, fold or status blow. I've been calling for this merger from the minute XFL decided to have a season. Too similar, too much, too many teams.

How has the USFL lied? They stated they would all play in one hub in 2022, 2-4 hubs in 2023 - actually 4 hubs, the goal was always to get in all cities. TV drives the USFL and NY & Philly are needed. Of course the merger changes the specifics of the plans, yet the pros of the merger make it a must. Can DC replace Philly? Possibly. Could Dallas/DC replace NY, doubtful but possible. Having RBC as investor on board (we'll see for how long and how much) may be the $$ the combined league needs to make in home happen iin those expensive areas.
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:30 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:27 am

IMO the XFL never should have launched this late, 2022 was pushing it already. As I posted years ago, they were banking on Rock appeal. In the end Rock appeal XFL viewership = USFL even if it skewed younger. That could be because of winter v spring. Instead of merger talks with CFL they should have merged with USFL. Perhaps they learned from that they needed a season to be taken seriously.
But what ever the reason, they launched a year after USFL and it was a Split decision so why continue as is... its merge, fold or status blow. I've been calling for this merger from the minute XFL decided to have a season. Too similar, too much, too many teams.

How has the USFL lied? They stated they would all play in one hub in 2022, 2-4 hubs in 2023 - actually 4 hubs, the goal was always to get in all cities. TV drives the USFL and NY & Philly are needed. Of course the merger changes the specifics of the plans, yet the pros of the merger make it a must. Can DC replace Philly? Possibly. Could Dallas/DC replace NY, doubtful but possible. Having RBC as investor on board (we'll see for how long and how much) may be the $$ the combined league needs to make in home happen iin those expensive areas.
Darryl Johnston was quoted saying he believed all teams could be in markets by year 2 and that didn't happen. The fact they're using Canton as a lame duck hub is a slap on the face to the city itself. Just give them a team and stop with the facade of the "Pittsburgh" Canton Maulers. While the new AFL may be a far cry from its glory days, at least they're giving it a go with teams in smaller markets. I'd bet the ratings between Topeka and Duluth would be relatively similar than NY - Philly when pitted on a similar station. As each day goes by it's looking like I'll be setting my sights, and more importantly my money, on the new AFL in 2024. Let's go Soul!
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:11 am
4th&long wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:30 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:27 am This is starting to look more like a catch-and-kill operation on Fox's part.

Darryl Johnston was quoted saying he believed all teams could be in markets by year 2 and that didn't happen. The fact they're using Canton as a lame duck hub is a slap on the face to the city itself. Just give them a team and stop with the facade of the "Pittsburgh" Canton Maulers. While the new AFL may be a far cry from its glory days, at least they're giving it a go with teams in smaller markets. I'd bet the ratings between Topeka and Duluth would be relatively similar than NY - Philly when pitted on a similar station. As each day goes by it's looking like I'll be setting my sights, and more importantly my money, on the new AFL in 2024. Let's go Soul!
Find that DJ quote. They said when launched 3-4 years.
Not a direct quote but:
https://www.al.com/sports/2022/01/usfl- ... ngham.html

AFL isn't in the same ball park as XFL or USFL, no comparison. Not that you can't enjoy it but its comparions a Ferrari to a bicycle