GDAWG
MVP

Re: USFL-XFL merged league teams, size, season speculation

Post by GDAWG »

Map of the league (if it's official) and the responses are not positive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfl/comments/1 ... ll_league/

The complaints from the Reddit thread:
- 3 of the teams are in Texas
- No presence in the West with the furthest west being the Brahmas. Also only one team in the Northeast with DC.
- They won't watch the league anymore with their teams folding

I get the lack of presence in the Northeast. They couldn't get any stadium agreements done with the Maulers, Generals and Stars. As for the West? The XFL tried with Vegas and Seattle and neither worked. They might try Seattle again if they can get a future team in Portland. If they can afford California in the future, they could try San Diego.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:02 pm Map of the league (if it's official) and the responses are not positive:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfl/comments/1 ... ll_league/

The complaints from the Reddit thread:
- 3 of the teams are in Texas
- No presence in the West with the furthest west being the Brahmas. Also only one team in the Northeast with DC.
- They won't watch the league anymore with their teams folding

I get the lack of presence in the Northeast. They couldn't get any stadium agreements done with the Maulers, Generals and Stars. As for the West? The XFL tried with Vegas and Seattle and neither worked. They might try Seattle again if they can get a future team in Portland. If they can afford California in the future, they could try San Diego.
- The 3 texas teams is a bit much in an 8 team league, but its a big state and 2 cities are large markets and SA is up and coming and has that dome
- The entire West Time Zone, from a TV market share, is only 17%, the Eastern Time Zone is 49% and Central Zone is 27%
- people who lost "their" team, yeah I get it, and if the only reason those fans were interested was because they had that team well what can you do. If the XFL had invested or partnered with the USFL before 2023 season this would have been avoided. But in general, Teams move, the NFL moved StL to LA, Chargers to LA and Raider to LV - people still watch the NFL in those markets.
- I do think NYC area- NJ is needed to max Nielsen HouseHold Mkt share, NY-NNJ is more than 1/2 the 8 combined.
XFL4ever
Quarterback

Post by XFL4ever »

Reddit is always high drama. I take much of what’s on there with a grain of salt.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Hmmmmm, not much of a professional league without a national presence; looks more regional to me. But what're ya gonna do!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:38 pm Hmmmmm, not much of a professional league without a national presence; looks more regional to me. But what're ya gonna do!
That's the nature of an 8 team league. Throw in 3 teams in one state and its more regional. Grant USXFL is more regional than with USFL or XFL-2023. This is why (along withmkt size) I thought they'd be in NYC area or at least Philly. Its also one reason why I wanted Bandits over Showboats in 2023 - even though i get the reasons why.

XFL 2020 had the biggest TV markets (22% coverage) and a real nice geographic spread. They also had the best TV ratings :o

USXFL will have the TV markets size at 11.3%.

But is USXFL a regional league or a multi regional league ? I'd say the later and its the regions that matter... Mostly. As I've posted they still need NE and maybe FL.
Last edited by 4th&long on Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:18 pm
Firecop wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:38 pm Hmmmmm, not much of a professional league without a national presence; looks more regional to me. But what're ya gonna do!
That's the nature of an 8 team league. Throw in 3 teams in one state and its more regional. Grant USXFL is more regional than with USFL or XFL-2023. This is why (along withmkt size) I thought they'd be in NYC area or at least Philly. Its also one reason why I wanted Bandits over Showboats in 2023 - even though i get the reasons why.

XFL 2020 had the biggest TV markets (22% coverage) and a real nice geographic spread. They also had the best TV ratings :o

XFL 2023 is have the TV markets size at 11.3%.

But is USXFL a regional league or a multi regional league ? I'd say the later and its the regions that matter... Mostly. As I've posted they still need NE and maybe FL.
The league is also going to have to rely on attendance instead of size of TV markets, so they have to also have to choose the right stadiums. Spring football in NYC and Philly can work if you get a stadium with a minimum capacity of 15,000. The size of the TV markets won't matter if there are only 10,000 people in attendance weekly at MetLife or the Linc. There are MLS stadiums in those cities and even though the cities may own the stadiums, MLS teams at Red Bull and Subaru are the primary tenants and will have a say on whether or not they want their fields ruined by American football during their seasons. Same such situation would occur at the new stadium in Queens for New York City FC when that opens. NYCFC will have a say on whether or not they want their field ruined by Spring football at their new stadium. None of those three teams may be as open to hosting spring football as DC United is at Audi Field. The second option would be college stadiums. Franklin Field in Philadelphia might be an option if there are 5 open dates and same goes for Columbia University's Wien Stadium in New York. But Franklin Field has a capacity of 53,000, so 10,000-20,000 fans would look empty.

There is Boston. That could cause bigger problems for spring football than Philly and NYC. While I think Philly and NYC can get at least 10,000 fans to attend their games (assuming they get the right venues), I don't think the same for Boston as I don't think they can get the crowds and there is probably lack of fan interest. There's Alumni Stadium in Boston College that seats 44,000 but they might not be as open to hosting spring football as the University of Houston was with the last two versions of the XFL. If Boston College says no, spring football isn't happening in Boston. There are plans for an MLS stadium in Everett, but that has a long way to go before it's a done deal and those plans could collapse. Boston may not be needed though if this league can get NYC and Philly.

Pittsburgh might be in an even worse situation than Philly, NYC and Boston with regards to venues. The only football stadium is Acrisure, which might be too big and too expensive. The soccer stadium is too small at 5,000 people. The fan support may not even be there for the Maulers.

As for Florida, Tampa might be revisited again if USF is open to hosting Spring football at their on campus stadium. Orlando could be revisited again in the future, whether its at Camping World or somewhere else. UCF might be reluctant to host spring football at their stadium as they were burned by the AAF. Exploria Stadium is an MLS stadium, but again, Orlando City SC will have a say on if they want spring football played on their field. Not sure if Miami is a fit for a spring league but if they are the options should be DRV PNK in Fort Lauderdale (18,000) and FIU Stadium on the campus of Florida International University (20,000).
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:43 am

The league is also going to have to rely on attendance instead of size of TV markets, so they have to also have to choose the right stadiums. Spring football in NYC and Philly can work if you get a stadium with a minimum capacity of 15,000. The size of the TV markets won't matter if there are only 10,000 people in attendance weekly at MetLife or the Linc. There are MLS stadiums in those cities and even though the cities may own the stadiums, MLS teams at Red Bull and Subaru are the primary tenants and will have a say on whether or not they want their fields ruined by American football during their seasons. Same such situation would occur at the new stadium in Queens for New York City FC when that opens. NYCFC will have a say on whether or not they want their field ruined by Spring football at their new stadium. None of those three teams may be as open to hosting spring football as DC United is at Audi Field. The second option would be college stadiums. Franklin Field in Philadelphia might be an option if there are 5 open dates and same goes for Columbia University's Wien Stadium in New York. But Franklin Field has a capacity of 53,000, so 10,000-20,000 fans would look empty.

There is Boston. That could cause bigger problems for spring football than Philly and NYC. While I think Philly and NYC can get at least 10,000 fans to attend their games (assuming they get the right venues), I don't think the same for Boston as I don't think they can get the crowds and there is probably lack of fan interest. There's Alumni Stadium in Boston College that seats 44,000 but they might not be as open to hosting spring football as the University of Houston was with the last two versions of the XFL. If Boston College says no, spring football isn't happening in Boston. There are plans for an MLS stadium in Everett, but that has a long way to go before it's a done deal and those plans could collapse. Boston may not be needed though if this league can get NYC and Philly.

Pittsburgh might be in an even worse situation than Philly, NYC and Boston with regards to venues. The only football stadium is Acrisure, which might be too big and too expensive. The soccer stadium is too small at 5,000 people. The fan support may not even be there for the Maulers.

As for Florida, Tampa might be revisited again if USF is open to hosting Spring football at their on campus stadium. Orlando could be revisited again in the future, whether its at Camping World or somewhere else. UCF might be reluctant to host spring football at their stadium as they were burned by the AAF. Exploria Stadium is an MLS stadium, but again, Orlando City SC will have a say on if they want spring football played on their field. Not sure if Miami is a fit for a spring league but if they are the options should be DRV PNK in Fort Lauderdale (18,000) and FIU Stadium on the campus of Florida International University (20,000).
Here's what I think about those cities: 1, they're expensive. Unless you have the clout of Vince McMahon to land a major world city stadium, it's going to be tough, and very expensive, in the Northeast Corridor. 2, most of the available stadiums there are going to be a step down from what you'd expect from a nationally televised league.

Pennsylvania, I honestly think you'd be better off in the periphery. You have several 15,000 seat stadiums to the north in the Lehigh Valley, Delaware Stadium to the south, and 20,000 seat Hersheypark to the west, all of which would be viable and have few enough spring schedule conflicts to host the league.

NYC is tough. Pretty much every venue you could conceive is either off limits due to heavy use already, way too big (in the case of MetLife), too small and historically problematic (Icahn, Floyd Bennett Field) or a college stadium with too little parking, outdated facilities and/or a board that's never going to allow it (Shuart Stadium in Hofstra, Wien Stadium at Columbia). The best option in NYC is the Staten Island ballpark... but it might have Cashman-like issues. (And it just so happens that one of the owners of the independent baseball team that uses it now is... drumroll, please... Dany Garcia. She is partners with a billionaire convenience store magnate and the cast of SNL.) There's also Hinchliffe in New Jersey, which has historically hosted pro football. It's used by another indy baseball team there, but their fans weren't happy with the move and seemed to have been happier using the Montclair State stadium, so a deal seems workable there.

Florida SHOULD be an ideal spot for a spring league. Honestly, it seems a little better for a winter league because once the spring equinox happens, it gets sticky.

But what they really need is a West Coast team—ideally, two. Seattle was perfect in 2020, but with the Kraken released, that window seems to have closed. What you have to do is figure out how to crack the nut that is California. Not necessarily LA, but at least cities that the casual viewer is going to recognize at home. Sacramento, Oakland, San Diego. Sacramento was a great market for the UFL. San Diego is ripe for a spring league. Oakland... they want revenge and I see them as another St. Louis. BUT... the cost of doing business in those places HAS to come down. That'll take some lobbying and someone close enough to Gavin Newsom to pull some strings. The UFL had Nancy Pelosi's husband as an owner. Could the XFL/USFL pull something like that off?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:12 am
GDAWG wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:43 am

Here's what I think about those cities: 1, they're expensive. Unless you have the clout of Vince McMahon to land a major world city stadium, it's going to be tough, and very expensive, in the Northeast Corridor. 2, most of the available stadiums there are going to be a step down from what you'd expect from a nationally televised league.

Pennsylvania, I honestly think you'd be better off in the periphery. You have several 15,000 seat stadiums to the north in the Lehigh Valley, Delaware Stadium to the south, and 20,000 seat Hersheypark to the west, all of which would be viable and have few enough spring schedule conflicts to host the league.

NYC is tough. Pretty much every venue you could conceive is either off limits due to heavy use already, way too big (in the case of MetLife), too small and historically problematic (Icahn, Floyd Bennett Field) or a college stadium with too little parking, outdated facilities and/or a board that's never going to allow it (Shuart Stadium in Hofstra, Wien Stadium at Columbia). The best option in NYC is the Staten Island ballpark... but it might have Cashman-like issues. (And it just so happens that one of the owners of the independent baseball team that uses it now is... drumroll, please... Dany Garcia. She is partners with a billionaire convenience store magnate and the cast of SNL.) There's also Hinchliffe in New Jersey, which has historically hosted pro football. It's used by another indy baseball team there, but their fans weren't happy with the move and seemed to have been happier using the Montclair State stadium, so a deal seems workable there.

Florida SHOULD be an ideal spot for a spring league. Honestly, it seems a little better for a winter league because once the spring equinox happens, it gets sticky.

But what they really need is a West Coast team—ideally, two. Seattle was perfect in 2020, but with the Kraken released, that window seems to have closed. What you have to do is figure out how to crack the nut that is California. Not necessarily LA, but at least cities that the casual viewer is going to recognize at home. Sacramento, Oakland, San Diego. Sacramento was a great market for the UFL. San Diego is ripe for a spring league. Oakland... they want revenge and I see them as another St. Louis. BUT... the cost of doing business in those places HAS to come down. That'll take some lobbying and someone close enough to Gavin Newsom to pull some strings. The UFL had Nancy Pelosi's husband as an owner. Could the XFL/USFL pull something like that off?
San Diego's Snapdragon Stadium is already busy in the spring with Rugby and NWSL soccer. MLS is also going to that stadium in 2025, so it will be busier than ever. There may not be any room for spring football at Snapdragon since its one of those rare football stadiums that doesn't sit empty when the usual football schedule at the stadium ends.

Oakland could be like St. Louis. The problem there is the Oakland Coliseum. It is too decrepit for spring football and besides, there's still the unknown of whether the A's will be forced to stay there from 2025 to 2027 as the A's hope to get their new Las Vegas ballpark open in 2028. Now, The University of California is in Berkeley, which is a suburb of Oakland and they have a 62,000 seat stadium in California Memorial Stadium but 50 years ago, Berkeley had a bad experience hosting the Raiders for a game in 1973. Playing at the University of California might be the only option for an Oakland team in a spring league.

Sacramento could be interesting. I think that Hornet Stadium would need sprucing up though.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Right now in this merged league, there's one team in the Midwest and that's the Michigan Panthers. The only other Midwest City I can see is Canton, Ohio.
XFLUSFLGUY
Running Back

Post by XFLUSFLGUY »

If they had a team in Ohio at least you could go with the regional rivalry that’s built in with Michigan and Ohio St.