So... now that the NFL rosters are set...who's left?

XFL Football discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

So... now that the NFL rosters are set...who's left?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Just to spice up the conversation in a quiet period. The NFL active rosters and practice squads are set. Only one punter has made an active roster so far... so the XFL basically has almost everyone at their disposal this year that they had last year.

How many retirements do we see? Do we see some prominent new faces with NFL experience? After all, it seems like (in contrast to 2020) the NFL vets like McCarron and DiNucci, and spring vets like Perez, were some of the most successful players.

It's probably going to be a few more weeks before the XFL starts signing their players, but it doesn't hurt to have a look at what's available and who might consider playing in the league.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: So... now that the NFL rosters are set...who's left?

Post by GregParks »

The October 4th draft is supposedly for the players who were released at final cuts. Not sure if it will be an "opt-in" situation or if XFL teams will just be drafting these players and hoping they'll want to play in the league.

At least a couple players have retired in RB Kenneth Farrow and DT TJ Barnes, both of the Renegades. There might have been one or two others I'm missing.

And while one punter has made an active roster, there are three players on IR/PUP, plus 16 practice squad players (15 active, one on PS IR). Obviously those numbers will fluctuate through the season but those at least are the players XFL team can't necessarily count on being back in 2024.
@gregmparks
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

If Caleb Williams foregoes the 2024 draft expected to be the first pick, if a team picks him that he doesn't want to play for, and if he's used up his college eligibility......can playing a year in the XFL nullify his NFL draft status giving him the ability to be a free agent?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Sounder wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:17 pm If Caleb Williams foregoes the 2024 draft expected to be the first pick, if a team picks him that he doesn't want to play for, and if he's used up his college eligibility......can playing a year in the XFL nullify his NFL draft status giving him the ability to be a free agent?
No. Playing in the XFL wouldn't affect draft status any more than sitting out the season and refusing to play. He'd just end up in the next year's draft. (See also: Kenny Robinson)

As it is, Williams still has eligibility left at the NCAA level.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:25 pm
Sounder wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:17 pm If Caleb Williams foregoes the 2024 draft expected to be the first pick, if a team picks him that he doesn't want to play for, and if he's used up his college eligibility......can playing a year in the XFL nullify his NFL draft status giving him the ability to be a free agent?
No. Playing in the XFL wouldn't affect draft status any more than sitting out the season and refusing to play. He'd just end up in the next year's draft. (See also: Kenny Robinson)

As it is, Williams still has eligibility left at the NCAA level.
This year and next year
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

I wonder how many players who made NFL practice rosters would decide to come back to the XFL. Won't they be thinking that their XFL time got them back to the NFL... and they would see going back to the XFL as a move in the wrong direction.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

FootballYoda wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:58 pm I wonder how many players who made NFL practice rosters would decide to come back to the XFL. Won't they be thinking that their XFL time got them back to the NFL... and they would see going back to the XFL as a move in the wrong direction.
Hard to say. 2020 XFL leaned hard on practice squad guys, and we all know AJ McCarron willingly chose the XFL because it gave him time on TV, something the practice squad doesn't do.

If a player is nearing the end of their career, I wouldn't be surprised if a few take that shot to come back. 15 minutes of fame is better than none at all.
He Hate Me
Receiver

Post by He Hate Me »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:25 pm
FootballYoda wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:58 pm I wonder how many players who made NFL practice rosters would decide to come back to the XFL. Won't they be thinking that their XFL time got them back to the NFL... and they would see going back to the XFL as a move in the wrong direction.
Hard to say. 2020 XFL leaned hard on practice squad guys, and we all know AJ McCarron willingly chose the XFL because it gave him time on TV, something the practice squad doesn't do.

If a player is nearing the end of their career, I wouldn't be surprised if a few take that shot to come back. 15 minutes of fame is better than none at all.
Like McCarron (good example) it will be a personal decision for most players.