Oliver Luck Hired by Pac-12 Leftovers as Consultant, per Report

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Oliver Luck Hired by Pac-12 Leftovers as Consultant, per Report

Post by MarkNelson »

SI: https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/13/p ... liver-luck
With eight teams set to leave the Pac-12 in 2024, its future in the college sports landscape is in flux with only four teams committed to the conference beyond the 2023-24 academic year. Amid that backdrop, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State reportedly have agreed to bring in a big name to help consult on their future.

Oregon sports journalist John Canzano reports the remaining Pac-12 teams have hired Oliver Luck as a consultant to help navigate the situation. Luck has served as a football executive in multiple places, including as the West Virginia athletic director, vice president for regulatory affairs for the NCAA and commissioner and CEO of the XFL.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
BattleHawks
Running Back

Re: Oliver Luck Hired by Pac-12 Leftovers as Consultant, per Report

Post by BattleHawks »

he has already met with AAC commissioner Mike Aresco,

and then spoke with AppleTV for 5+ hours
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:48 pm SI: https://www.si.com/college/2023/08/13/p ... liver-luck
With eight teams set to leave the Pac-12 in 2024, its future in the college sports landscape is in flux with only four teams committed to the conference beyond the 2023-24 academic year. Amid that backdrop, Stanford, Cal, Oregon State and Washington State reportedly have agreed to bring in a big name to help consult on their future.

Oregon sports journalist John Canzano reports the remaining Pac-12 teams have hired Oliver Luck as a consultant to help navigate the situation. Luck has served as a football executive in multiple places, including as the West Virginia athletic director, vice president for regulatory affairs for the NCAA and commissioner and CEO of the XFL.
Smart even if way too late... but will they listen? Now that its come out (posted in other thread) that remaining Pac-12 passed on an ESPN deal of $30mm a club in 2022 because they thought they were worth $50mm w/o USC or UCLA the real problem is exposed. School Presidents and AD's were stupid and lost the whole thing. Can OL get the remaining 4 to wise up? Hopefully yes.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

We really need Canzano to get on it and see who the P12 Presidents were. We should have a pretty good idea that it was most of the defectors, but does anyone see a problem with the media playing up that asshat Robert Robbins (that whole rant about candy bars), while at the same time he was likely one of them?

Oregon and UW we all but 100% know were (BTW 4th you rah-rah'd them too, so I guess they should be smarter? Of course that means so should you) but I think he should make it official.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:14 pm We really need Canzano to get on it and see who the P12 Presidents were. We should have a pretty good idea that it was most of the defectors, but does anyone see a problem with the media playing up that asshat Robert Robbins (that whole rant about candy bars), while at the same time he was likely one of them?

Oregon and UW we all but 100% know were (BTW 4th you rah-rah'd them too, so I guess they should be smarter? Of course that means so should you) but I think he should make it official.
I'm sure the P12 presidents were those there now as it was just a year ago. I'm not sure what these guys were thinking but maybe Oregon and Wash figured go for $50mm and worst case jump to the B1G Ten if it goes south? Who knows but that asshat you mention at AZ - yeah of course he was one of them.

The whole thing is just a shame and could have been avoided. Perhaps OL can engineer a reverse merger with MW and salvage the P-12 at least in legal capacity.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

And on that note I haven't seen one article from Trojans Wire critical of Carol Volt, who was the lead vote against expansion in 2021. Just an in-passing "Well yes but so what?".

I said around the time he was hired that Kliavkoff needed to be more than just not Larry Scott, would have made all the difference if they were more than their predecessors (for the different pres/chancellors/ADs) who gave LS carte blanche to burn the league down as well.