XFL News Hub: XFL makes widespread cuts at management, team levels

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: XFL News Hub: XFL makes widespread cuts at management, team levels

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:08 pm Or put another way, they can't get investors on board w/o making the cuts. Translation, they want to spend OPM.

This is a HUGE news story for the XFL.
And what if they are closer to outside investors for it (after all, how long has it been since Eric Shanks was out with A-Rod anyway)? Might just be huge in the opposite of what you're hoping for.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Joker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 pm
GregParks wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:00 pm Ben Fischer of SBJ also wrote about it, adding this:
The cuts broadly fit into one of two buckets. One group are now deemed seasonal employees, who could potentially return to their jobs closer to the second season, set to start in February. The others, including Duch and Zucconi, were done after a review determined the league should shift from a brand marketing emphasis (seen as appropriate at launch) to a more revenue-driven approach to maximize ticket and sponsorship sales heading into a critical second season.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... tions.aspx
Because Janet Dutch is only qualified to do “brand marketing.” Need someone different to generate revenue. Yep. That’s the message.
She wasn't exactly a rousing success with the Guardians in 2020 and was one of the few McMahon era carryovers.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

You mean they ACTUALLY had a marketing staff to begin with?😈
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Firecop wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:27 pm You mean they ACTUALLY had a marketing staff to begin with?😈
Yes, no kidding. They screwed this up and now a bunch of people are paying the piper. I don’t think the right people are paying for mistakes. But that’s business… c'est ca. I think Greg has an article coming out where he addresses this more perfectly.

My constant fear is this news portends the beginning of another end. 😬 (Nervous laugh)
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

MarkNelson wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:33 am
Firecop wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:27 pm You mean they ACTUALLY had a marketing staff to begin with?😈
Yes, no kidding. They screwed this up and now a bunch of people are paying the piper. I don’t think the right people are paying for mistakes. But that’s business… c'est ca. I think Greg has an article coming out where he addresses this more perfectly.

My constant fear is this news portends the beginning of another end. 😬 (Nervous laugh)
That’s pretty much how I feel about it. There was a break down in leadership somewhere and because of that a lot of people have lost their jobs, marketing people I give somewhat of a pass to sue to them having a budget of around $200k for the year. From the articles I saw it seems Redbird is kind of taking over the business side of things and changing the league on that side which maybe the best thing to happen to it or a sign that they didn’t like what they saw and they’re giving it a shot their way and if that doesn’t work that’s it. Hoping it creates some great changes because it’s clear the league was rushed and needed some changes, here’s hoping these are the right ones
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:59 am

That’s pretty much how I feel about it. There was a break down in leadership somewhere and because of that a lot of people have lost their jobs, marketing people I give somewhat of a pass to sue to them having a budget of around $200k for the year. From the articles I saw it seems Redbird is kind of taking over the business side of things and changing the league on that side which maybe the best thing to happen to it or a sign that they didn’t like what they saw and they’re giving it a shot their way and if that doesn’t work that’s it. Hoping it creates some great changes because it’s clear the league was rushed and needed some changes, here’s hoping these are the right ones
Hopefully they are talking to the USFL as well, as I had hoped post championship.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Here comes the talking point (again) about a league that was announced in Aug 2020 being rushed as opposed to the one that was in June 2021 for a kickoff ten months later (which would pretty acknowledge that it was Super TSL if it wasn't)
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

MGB01 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:09 pm

Here comes the talking point (again) about a league that was announced in Aug 2020 being rushed as opposed to the one that was in June 2021 for a kickoff ten months later (which would pretty acknowledge that it was Super TSL if it wasn't)
Not sure what the USFL has to do with this particular discussion. But since you obliquely brought it up, people DID raise concerns about the kickoff being so close to the date of creation of the league. The difference is the USFL is about to finish off their second year and head into their third with nary a rumbling of trouble. The XFL just finished its first season and clearly RedBird is unhappy with how certain parts of the league operated in 2023. And when the source of money is unhappy, that raises legitimate questions about the future of the league.

Yes, the XFL had a much longer lead-time from purchase out of bankruptcy to kickoff; but that's why it's extra frustrating for what fans perceived as a lot of last minute and yes, rushed decision-making, from the Vegas stadium situation to other similar announcements. All you needed to do was to track the XFL careers page six months, three months, even one month from kickoff to see how many seemingly important positions had yet to be filled to get a sense of how behind they appeared to be.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

The XFL bungled the Vegas Stadium announcement by announcing it so late. If they announced it a bit earlier, the field would have looked better than what it was because I saw a Las Vegas Lights game on TV and the field at Cashman Stadium looked a lot better than when the Vipers played there.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GregParks wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:13 pm
MGB01 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:09 pm

Not sure what the USFL has to do with this particular discussion. But since you obliquely brought it up, people DID raise concerns about the kickoff being so close to the date of creation of the league. The difference is the USFL is about to finish off their second year and head into their third with nary a rumbling of trouble. The XFL just finished its first season and clearly RedBird is unhappy with how certain parts of the league operated in 2023. And when the source of money is unhappy, that raises legitimate questions about the future of the league.

Yes, the XFL had a much longer lead-time from purchase out of bankruptcy to kickoff; but that's why it's extra frustrating for what fans perceived as a lot of last minute and yes, rushed decision-making, from the Vegas stadium situation to other similar announcements. All you needed to do was to track the XFL careers page six months, three months, even one month from kickoff to see how many seemingly important positions had yet to be filled to get a sense of how behind they appeared to be.
Were they unhappy or was it the reality (the point I made last year) that you can't simply run back year one in year two--which I might add the USFL has done just barely more than? This was good enough to get in the door for and through 2023, 2024 is a different story, this reflects that. Disaster says they wouldn't even have seen April and would have been out the door the first cut at Disney, that didn't happen.

What cause the league (or more specifically RedBird) wasn't jumping up and down and putting out a bunch of fake news (from a Murdoch property? Shocked I say!) like the USFL did? See I actually have receipts for that, like "first spring league since the USFL to complete a spring season", as if the World League never existed--the NFL-backed was added by outside reporting, not them. So they were hardly one to complain when Rock tweeted the 'spring league record' deal with St Louis (although no one quite bit on the setup for the 62,000 at the Horseshoe that saw the Ohio Glory win their only game in May 1992)

So I fail to understand what the big deal is here. The "outraged" sector thinks that you just put a schedule together in like three hours and then magically dates appear, so excuse me if I'm not exactly keen on joining them