XFL News Hub: XFL makes widespread cuts at management, team levels

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

XFL News Hub: XFL makes widespread cuts at management, team levels

Post by GregParks »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/exclusi ... read-cuts/

Among the cuts are Chief Marketing Officer Janet Duch, who was also with the XFL in 2020. A key quote:

"RedBird Capital Partners was reportedly discontent with the league’s marketing strategy and the promotion of the league."

Up to 30 people are being let go, a few at each team level and then about 10 at the league office level, including the entire Vegas sales team, per News Hub.
@gregmparks
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: XFL News Hub: XFL makes widespread cuts at management, team levels

Post by laxtreme56 »

While I hate to see people lose their jobs, if they weren't cutting the mustard, you've got to show them the door. The Vegas stadium fiasco definitely hampered the leagues ability to sell tickets, the schedule should have been released in time for the holiday season.

In DC, the staff presence was pretty minimal.
Besides a nondescript booth in the concourse, manned by 2 uninterested college interns, there really wasn't a concerted effort to get people to sign up for season tickets at the games. Venture capitalist companies are often ruthless, yet efficient with their business operations. I'll trust Redbird and Co. know what they're doing here.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/exclusi ... 64a13bcc1f

This goes back to the SA sales exec getting let go 1 or 2 weeks into the season. He claimed all teams were being cut, the league denied it then but clearly it was just delayed to the season was over. Also of note was SA ticket sales dropped from week 1 after the exec was fired.

Also, and I said this before, DG/Rk have ultimately little say when rubber hits the road. RBC did the performance review - and made the cuts. Expect RBC to be taking a more direct approach and I expect more will be on the table.

>> Based on the information we’ve received, the changes involve letting go of three to five people from each team and an additional ten from the league. This restructuring follows a thorough performance review conducted by RedBird Capital Partners, the league’s primary investor. <<

Also don't forget Sportico reported last year the league was looking to sell up to 45% of itself to outside investors. Now we hear rumors of potential investors coming in?

>> These cuts could also be a strategy to make the league more appealing to potential investors. With rumors swirling about incoming investors, it’s possible the XFL is trimming costs to present a more efficient and streamlined operation. Various departments, including sales and IT, are expected to be affected by these changes.

While it’s still unclear what the full implications of these cuts will be, the message is clear: The XFL is looking to make significant changes <<

Or put another way, they can't get investors on board w/o making the cuts. Translation, they want to spend OPM.

This is a HUGE news story for the XFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

There was no marketing or promotion at all for the Arlington Renegades outside of Arlington, Texas, which is a bad move.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The XFL subsequently released a statement to XFL News Hub, which has been included in the original article:
The XFL’s first season was a success with strong growth metrics seen across fan engagement, viewership and revenue channels. As the XFL plans for 2024 and beyond, it has decided to transition into a dual full-time and seasonal-based employment model to improve efficiency and drive sustainable business performance across all markets, given the seasonal nature of the business. The XFL will continue to employ full-time business and football operations functions on both the League and team levels and will scale up hiring each year for pre-season and in-season roles.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

More

>> Michael Lathrop 🏈 🎙
@XFLMike
Rumors are swirling of VAST #XFL staff turnover. Per my contact, these departures are tied to the conclusion of 6 month contracts.
3:20 PM · May 30, 2023 <<
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Ben Fischer of SBJ also wrote about it, adding this:
The cuts broadly fit into one of two buckets. One group are now deemed seasonal employees, who could potentially return to their jobs closer to the second season, set to start in February. The others, including Duch and Zucconi, were done after a review determined the league should shift from a brand marketing emphasis (seen as appropriate at launch) to a more revenue-driven approach to maximize ticket and sponsorship sales heading into a critical second season.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... tions.aspx
@gregmparks
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Announcements like this have a familiar tone.

“We’re just shifting things around. Nothing to see here…”
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

GregParks wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:00 pm Ben Fischer of SBJ also wrote about it, adding this:
The cuts broadly fit into one of two buckets. One group are now deemed seasonal employees, who could potentially return to their jobs closer to the second season, set to start in February. The others, including Duch and Zucconi, were done after a review determined the league should shift from a brand marketing emphasis (seen as appropriate at launch) to a more revenue-driven approach to maximize ticket and sponsorship sales heading into a critical second season.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/D ... tions.aspx
Because Janet Dutch is only qualified to do “brand marketing.” Need someone different to generate revenue. Yep. That’s the message.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:19 pm While I hate to see people lose their jobs, if they weren't cutting the mustard, you've got to show them the door. The Vegas stadium fiasco definitely hampered the leagues ability to sell tickets, the schedule should have been released in time for the holiday season.

In DC, the staff presence was pretty minimal.
Besides a nondescript booth in the concourse, manned by 2 uninterested college interns, there really wasn't a concerted effort to get people to sign up for season tickets at the games. Venture capitalist companies are often ruthless, yet efficient with their business operations. I'll trust Redbird and Co. know what they're doing here.
Sounds to me like 'OK 2023 was good for what it was, now we're into this is real/24 mode and simply running back year one isn't an option' (a point I made last year, though not IRT the XFL but it stands nonetheless).