XFL to Host HBCU Player Showcase, Sat June 17, 2023

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

https://xflboard.com/news/xfl-to-host-h ... e-17-2023/
The XFL announced today that it would host its XFL HBCU Showcase on Saturday, June 17, at Clark Atlanta University in Atlanta, GA.

The XFL HBCU Showcase will be open exclusively to players from HBCUs. This will be the second showcase that the XFL has tailored specifically for HBCU players, having hosted a showcase at Jackson State University in the summer of 2022. 100 players from HBCUs played in the 2023 XFL season.

Information on additional showcases will be announced in the near future.

SHOWCASE LOCATION – XFL HBCU Showcase*
Saturday, June 17, 2023
Clark Atlanta University – Atlanta, GA
*Attendance is by invitation only
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
MGB01
MVP

Re: XFL to Host HBCU Player Showcase, Sat June 17, 2023

Post by MGB01 »

Just for clarification, they wouldn't go away. But now with the league into an actual offseason they wouldn't be the same calling card they were last summer (or the ones from 2019 for that matter)
Calling card might not have been the right term but since you're not in the building stage anymore the draft is the main thing as far as supplementing goes so, as I said..........................
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

They've quietly posted the other showcases this summer...

https://www.showcases.xfl.com/register

Sat, June 17: HBCU Showcase, Clark Atlanta University
Sun, June 18: Atlanta Showcase, Center Parc Credit Union Stadium
Friday, July 7: St. Louis Showcase, Missouri Baptist University
Sunday, July 9: Washington, DC Showcase, University of Maryland
Friday, July 14: Houston Showcase, The Village School
Sunday, July 16: Arizona Showcase, Arizona State University
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I beat the league by about 20 minutes. Here's the press release, which includes an XFL Combine to be hosted at Choctaw Stadium at the end of July

https://www.xfl.com/xfl-latest-news/xfl ... his-summer
@gregmparks
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

I see the XFL is starting to broadcast this showcase on their socials. Other than this the league is asleep.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

FootballYoda wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:17 pm I see the XFL is starting to broadcast this showcase on their socials. Other than this the league is asleep.
They're continuing to post season highlights and "Mic Drops" from the season, at least on the XFL Twitter page. And they update when players work out and are signed by NFL teams. They've got a draft coming next week, so I'd expect them to come alive then. Other than that, I'm not sure what your expectations are for this time of the offseason.
@gregmparks
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

No real off-season expectations. Just saying it’s quiet. It will be nice to see some reports from the showcase. Of course the rookie draft is on tap soon. Should be some news from that.
JeffXFL
Kicker

Post by JeffXFL »

XFL has some off season moments coming up like the rookie draft and showcases. But they fired a lot of their marketing people. Maybe they can’t take full advantage of these moments with limited staff to do the work?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

JeffXFL wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:56 am XFL has some off season moments coming up like the rookie draft and showcases. But they fired a lot of their marketing people. Maybe they can’t take full advantage of these moments with limited staff to do the work?
Judging by last year, I doubt they were going to take much advantage of it even with that staff. Hence why they were fired.

Besides... how many players from those showcases last year even made an XFL roster, let alone saw significant playing time?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:33 am
JeffXFL wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:56 am XFL has some off season moments coming up like the rookie draft and showcases. But they fired a lot of their marketing people. Maybe they can’t take full advantage of these moments with limited staff to do the work?
Besides... how many players from those showcases last year even made an XFL roster, let alone saw significant playing time?
Whatever that number was, it'll be even fewer this year because the rosters are already built - last year teams were starting from scratch. So instead of looking for 60-70 players per team, you're maybe looking for, what, 20 per team with offseason rosters at 90?

I certainly like the idea of continuing to do the Showcases from the perspective of living up to the "league of opportunity" moniker and in terms of scouting, from a "no stone left unturned" perspective. And at $260 per player and running it in concert with ANC, I don't think this is much of a money-losing proposition if at all. Still, I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on these.
@gregmparks