XFL Announces Rookie Draft to be held on Friday June 16, 2023

XFL Football discussion.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

XFL Announces Rookie Draft to be held on Friday June 16, 2023

Post by MarkNelson »

https://xflboard.com/news/xfl-announces ... e-16-2023/

XFL Offseason Rosters Expand to 90 Players

The XFL today announced that the XFL Rookie Draft will be held virtually on Friday, June 16, 2023, opening the door of opportunity for undrafted players who meet the following requirements:

- Eligible to have been drafted in the 2023 NFL Draft
- Not under contract by a professional football team

XFL personnel directors and coaches have been actively evaluating talent for its 2024 season, including players who were invited to NFL rookie minicamps but did not sign a contract.

To allow for the increased number of players, XFL team rosters will be expanded from 51 to 90 players during the offseason.

Drafted rookies will be placed on XFL rosters with players who finished the 2023 season on active and reserve lists.

All players who sign an XFL contract, including players who remain under contract from the 2023 season, will have an “NFL Out” until Tuesday, December 26, 2023, following the conclusion of Week 16 of the NFL season.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
herns
Head Coach

Re: XFL Announces Rookie Draft to be held on Friday June 16, 2023

Post by herns »

MarkNelson wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:15 pm https://xflboard.com/news/xfl-announces ... e-16-2023/

XFL Offseason Rosters Expand to 90 Players

The XFL today announced that the XFL Rookie Draft will be held virtually on Friday, June 16, 2023, opening the door of opportunity for undrafted players who meet the following requirements:

- Eligible to have been drafted in the 2023 NFL Draft
- Not under contract by a professional football team

XFL personnel directors and coaches have been actively evaluating talent for its 2024 season, including players who were invited to NFL rookie minicamps but did not sign a contract.

To allow for the increased number of players, XFL team rosters will be expanded from 51 to 90 players during the offseason.

Drafted rookies will be placed on XFL rosters with players who finished the 2023 season on active and reserve lists.

All players who sign an XFL contract, including players who remain under contract from the 2023 season, will have an “NFL Out” until Tuesday, December 26, 2023, following the conclusion of Week 16 of the NFL season.
I like this. I think a draft where the players are signed going in would be better than if it was a rights draft like USFL did. I hope xfl draft goes heavier on D2, D3, and juco talent because it would give those guys a shot and rams would likely have the rookies on the team next year as opposed to the USFL draft and cfl negotiations list where you may not see the majority ever play for them. I’ll also be interested in if they go after the same group of players USFL did and we see a bidding war for these young players like Lindsey Scott, chase Brice, and Adrian Martinez those are the kind of players i could see the leagues getting into a bidding war for because they’re rookies with star potential
Last edited by herns on Thu May 18, 2023 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I like it better than a "rights draft" too, although I'm sure contracts won't actually be signed until they show up for training camp just like last year, and many of the players drafted will probably still find their way into NFL camps this summer.

Looks like there's also going to be a veteran draft in the fall like last year, per MM.
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:36 pm I like it better than a "rights draft" too, although I'm sure contracts won't actually be signed until they show up for training camp just like last year, and many of the players drafted will probably still find their way into NFL camps this summer.

Looks like there's also going to be a veteran draft in the fall like last year, per MM.
So the xfl contacts are like what the USFL contracts were backed they changed them where I’da player wants out they can opt out? Am i understanding that correctly? If that is the case a situation like the defenders becomes very interesting in If Ta’amu comes back what does king and dungey do. Vet draft is interesting but a rookie draft is more fun imo, hoping they lean heavy into D2 and D3 talent pools
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Couple more thoughts on this:

1) 90-man training camp rosters seems like a lot for a secondary league, especially when you're already splitting the top non-NFL players (in the US) with the USFL. It's also more players to house, feed, and maintain in the hub. Probably around 100+ more (2023 was supposed to be 70-man camp but NFLAA assignments pushed some to around 80 IIRC). Ultimately, the league could write it off simply giving more players an opportunity. I do wonder if coaches pushed for this to increase training camp roster sizes for practice purposes.

2) Unlike in 2022, XFL scouts didn't seem to be in attendance for college pro days to scout players. I know the XFL has a league scouting staff that helps out with this but as Seattle DPP Randy Mueller mentioned on the Local Defenders podcast, it's a lot on the plate of the DPP and coaches because teams don't have their own scouting staffs. Hopefully they increase those over time.

3) The timing is interesting - why mid-June? Drafted players will still be eligible to sign with NFL training camps, so why not just put them into the same draft with the vets in the fall? I wonder if at least part of the reason is to keep the XFL in the news during the offseason.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:34 pm Couple more thoughts on this:

1) 90-man training camp rosters seems like a lot for a secondary league, especially when you're already splitting the top non-NFL players (in the US) with the USFL. It's also more players to house, feed, and maintain in the hub. Probably around 100+ more (2023 was supposed to be 70-man camp but NFLAA assignments pushed some to around 80 IIRC). Ultimately, the league could write it off simply giving more players an opportunity. I do wonder if coaches pushed for this to increase training camp roster sizes for practice purposes.

2) Unlike in 2022, XFL scouts didn't seem to be in attendance for college pro days to scout players. I know the XFL has a league scouting staff that helps out with this but as Seattle DPP Randy Mueller mentioned on the Local Defenders podcast, it's a lot on the plate of the DPP and coaches because teams don't have their own scouting staffs. Hopefully they increase those over time.

3) The timing is interesting - why mid-June? Drafted players will still be eligible to sign with NFL training camps, so why not just put them into the same draft with the vets in the fall? I wonder if at least part of the reason is to keep the XFL in the news during the offseason.
Because its during the USFL regular season.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:05 pm
GregParks wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:34 pm Couple more thoughts on this:

Because its during the USFL regular season.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The draft being less than a month away also, you would think, means teams need to have their coaching staffs in order for next year. Without actually having team scouts, the assistants are doing a lot of the scouting along with the DPP, so it'll have to be all hands on deck. And certainly if any HCs move on, we'll have to know about it soon - it would be hard to draft players for a team that doesn't have a HC and/or coaching staff.
@gregmparks
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

GregParks wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:45 am The draft being less than a month away also, you would think, means teams need to have their coaching staffs in order for next year. Without actually having team scouts, the assistants are doing a lot of the scouting along with the DPP, so it'll have to be all hands on deck. And certainly if any HCs move on, we'll have to know about it soon - it would be hard to draft players for a team that doesn't have a HC and/or coaching staff.
Beyond just the staff, you'd need to have some decent idea of what the players currently on rosters plan to do. MM said the contracts had mutual options, so it's hard to even determine where to begin when you're doing scouting (other than just scouting every position thoroughly which seems untenable) if you don't know who's coming back.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

nick1091 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:46 am
GregParks wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:45 am The draft being less than a month away also, you would think, means teams need to have their coaching staffs in order for next year. Without actually having team scouts, the assistants are doing a lot of the scouting along with the DPP, so it'll have to be all hands on deck. And certainly if any HCs move on, we'll have to know about it soon - it would be hard to draft players for a team that doesn't have a HC and/or coaching staff.
Beyond just the staff, you'd need to have some decent idea of what the players currently on rosters plan to do. MM said the contracts had mutual options, so it's hard to even determine where to begin when you're doing scouting (other than just scouting every position thoroughly which seems untenable) if you don't know who's coming back.
I’d assume teams will talk with players and get a decent idea of who’s coming back and who’s wanting to either retire or test FA with the other leagues