Rivalries?

XFL Football discussion.
Andibald
Head Coach

Rivalries?

Post by Andibald »

I think it would be great if the XFL brought teams in with built in rivalries. With only 8 teams to start, it may not cover the country as well initially but would make it more exciting. The season could start and end with a rivalry game for each team.

I saw Memphis and Birmingham getting after each other on twitter a while ago and think it would be fun if every team had that. The rivalries could be based on location, NFL team, or NCAA teams.

What are some rivalries you would like to see in the XFL?
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Andibald
Head Coach

Re: Rivalries?

Post by Andibald »

Here are a few I like:

Nebraska - Oklahoma

Portland - Tacoma-Seattle

San Diego - Oakland

Chicago - Milwaukee

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

Here Are Some:

San Diego vs San Francisco

New York vs Pennsylvania

Oklahoma vs Texas

Ohio vs St Louis

Just some extra to think about, not that some of these locations are likely to get a team.
Ready for the team reveals...again
PostFootball
Kicker

Post by PostFootball »

I think it is hard to have rivalries this soon. these are usually born over time and with reason. People usually need a reason before they spit hatred. But then again, i also cannot even decide on what 8 cities i want as i keep changing my opinions on 3 or 4 of them LOL.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I think it is hard to have rivalries this soon. these are usually born over time and with reason. People usually need a reason before they spit hatred.
Yeah, I was thinking we could jump start that a bit :D .

In the original league (East), Chicago and NY were out by themselves geographically while Memphis and Birmingham were in different divisions. Replace Chicago with D.C. or Philly and the East had a couple of potential rivalries.

For 2020, find a rival for Orlando (Birmingham, Memphis, Georgia ?) and Columbus (Michigan, Milwaukee, PA, or NY) and we're all set.

The original West had some potential rivalries (LA, SF, and LV) but Memphis was out of place. Portland, instead of Memphis, may have been better.

In XFL 2020, replace LA with San Diego, LV with Omaha, and Memphis with Oklahoma and the West has two natural rivalries (N Cal vs So Cal and Neb vs OK) and more national coverage. I'm old enough to remember the Husker vs Sooner games but Tex vs OK would work also as would Neb vs Missouri (STL).

Sykotyk
Quarterback

Post by Sykotyk »

XFL_FAN wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 pm Here Are Some:

San Diego vs San Francisco

New York vs Pennsylvania

Oklahoma vs Texas

Ohio vs St Louis

Just some extra to think about, not that some of these locations are likely to get a team.
Ohio has no hatred for St. Louis at all. And probably vice versa. Ny-pa would only be if it's Philadelphia and NYC. If it's Syracuse and Pittsburgh or Syracuse and Philadelphia it's nonexistent.

Cleveland-Pittsburgh yes. Chicago-Detroit etc yes.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

We'll have to see what happens this year...
Ready for the team reveals...again
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

I think it would be cool to pair up teams based on proximity, but not with only 8 teams in the first run (as it limits larger regions/ fan penetration...ie the entire state of Texas in the last run). I bet the league will search out larger football crazed population centers to draw fan hype and interest at first, then fill in medium-larger regional gaps later.

I can see players and divisions creating rivalry’s in the beginning. (Example a Texas team with J. Football vs a Florida Team led by T. Tebow...hyped up as the Christian vs Criminal between the fans).

In any case I’m looking forward to all of it!!!! The colors, the logos, the cities. And some new gear too (lol).
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Here is one from Concept Leagues on Twitter:

Concept Leagues
‏ @ConceptLeagues
4m4 minutes ago

#XFL2020 @ColumbusXFL @XFL2Lou @XFLFiles
Rivalry?💡
Generals and Kings.

GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Whoa! Looks like Louisville Kings? Who would the Generals be?