Stadium Discussion - Large or small Venue

XFL Football discussion.
PostFootball
Kicker

Stadium Discussion - Large or small Venue

Post by PostFootball »

The perception of the first XFL was poor and not helped by how badly things looked on tv. Except SF nobody averaged over 30K and 2 teams had less than 20K on average. I think playing in smaller venues would be better and create more demand. there is no doubt to me these teams can draw 30-40K, but i doubt more, especially considering the weather at the time of year they will be playing. This would still be more than enough to create a good perception needed to cause the demand and growth they would want and need long term.

Playing in smaller stadiums will make a much better perception, even if large markets playing in smaller available stadiums would be better than the local NFL stadium If you have 8 teams in stadiums that seat 20-40K people you will probably either fill or almost fill all of them making for louder crowds and much better look on camera to the outside world and generate better media coverage of the loud, packed stadiums the reporters are seeing and witnessing.

I just do not see it going well and just seeing them get laughed at if they are playing in large stadiums that are half filled. IMO

thoughts?
XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: Stadium Discussion - Large or small Venue

Post by XFL_FAN »

Smaller venues would probably be better. The XFL needs an average attendance around 25k to stay afloat so have stadiums that are 30-40k in capacity.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

I agree. Smaller stadiums that are filled will look great on TV and it will create some excitement to say "sold out" on TV. Some areas have multiple stadiums of various sizes they could possibly move to after a successful first season. Build from the ground up.

I am also hoping that the promise of future expansion will create a strong national following that will allow for some smaller markets (Omaha?) with smaller stadiums but loyal fan bases to be chosen initially. Or, on the other side of the coin, a large market, Seattle-Tacoma, in the small but unique Tacoma Dome.

Lot's of options. Don't rule anything out and keep the fans excited and hopeful for future expansion.
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
PostFootball
Kicker

Post by PostFootball »

Can The Tacoma Dome handle a full sized football field and sideline? from what i saw inside it i am not sure it can be configures for a regulation size football field with sidelines. would be interesting if it could.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Yes. They used to play the State high school playoffs there.

Only seats about 10, 000 for football, though. I watched some video and it does sound loud.

https://youtu.be/ZM99XGegfGY

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
Sykotyk
Quarterback

Post by Sykotyk »

Smaller is better. However if there is success and in a few years you can draw 30-40k and you're in 15-20k stadiums, you're stuck. Stadium expansion is doubtful for XFL and you'd need to find another venue. Such as Omaha, Portland, etc.so to handle demand you either raise prices or leave money on the table.

But I'd rather go small and be stuck small then try and create atmosphere from 15-20k fans in an 80k stadium that feels Barren.
GoDogs
Running Back

Post by GoDogs »

Medium size I think would be preferred for perception. But I’m not sure in some cases if it’s an option. In some stadiums (like Qualcomm in San Diego) they block out the upper seating with team logos, and fill the lower tiers.

Affordability I think for families i think will be a driving force. Being able to tailgate, purchase tickets for a reasonable price and being able to get solid sight lines (closer to the 50 yard line) are must to bring in larger crowds.

If you have to go mid-sized, baseball stadiums are an option (ie Pac Bell Park and the original Demons). But the sight lines are odd.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

I agree, medium sized stadiums would allow for growth. Large stadiums will make the crowd look small, and small would make growth harder to happen.
Ready for the team reveals...again
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

PostFootball
Kicker

Post by PostFootball »

thank you for reading. i am a bit confused on how they edited my work though some of my punctuation seems to have been made worse after editing LOL. i blame it on the site being British. LOL