USATODAY: DJ, DG on XFL

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: USATODAY: DJ, DG on XFL

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:39 am
Tank55 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:09 am I love the USFL refusing to comment on their own commercial.
Right? The Rock came right at them basically saying "Just bring it!", and then silence.
yeah - that intimidated them :lol: :lol:
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:53 am
GregParks wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:57 am Here's a second part of that interview with Johnson and Garcia, published today, focused on the competition between the XFL and USFL:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... 541871002/
This article has more meat on bones... But I'd much prefer to hear from Gerri C. - of course he wants it to appear that Rk owns the league for PR purposes so I get it. But DG saying she's fine with it isn't quite the same.
Gerry C wants to be behind the scenes it seems. He's not very visible with AC Milan and Vince basically let Oliver Luck run XFL 2.0. I'm sure everything Dwayne and Dany say is approved by Gerry beforehand.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:13 am
GregParks wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:57 am Here's a second part of that interview with Johnson and Garcia, published today, focused on the competition between the XFL and USFL:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... 541871002/
This article has more meat on bones... But I'd much prefer to hear from Gerri C. - of course he wants it to appear that Rk owns the league for PR purposes so I get it. But DG saying she's fine with it isn't quite the same.
Gerry C wants to be behind the scenes it seems. He's not very visible with AC Milan and Vince basically let Oliver Luck run XFL 2.0. I'm sure everything Dwayne and Dany say is approved by Gerry beforehand.
If Gerry C took an active PR position it would destroy the illusion that Rock owns the league. I don't see that happening. Agreed in general with your last sentence.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:09 am I love the USFL refusing to comment on their own commercial.
Right? The Rock came right at them basically saying "Just bring it!", and then silence.
The hidden genius of that interview with Strahan, take the guy from the ad and effectively neutralize that line of attack by putting him in both camps. Though FOX really didn't think this one out here--did they really ignore Strahan's other job when he isn't doing FNS ~20 times a year?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:08 am
yeah - that intimidated them :lol: :lol:
Considering that they've strangely decided to become the Eric Bischoff/WCW side of the Monday Night War (with FOX being home to Rock's previous employer) they're sure coming off as Billionaire Ted's Wrasslin Warroom.

They also picked the wrong guy to do it with.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:31 am

If Gerry C took an active PR position it would destroy the illusion that Rock owns the league. I don't see that happening. Agreed in general with your last sentence.
I mean, Rock has decades long experience talking to press and the public and Cardinale is a financier 98% of people have never heard of. Pretty easy to figure out who you put in front of USA Today. DG's there because they're really devoted to getting mileage out of the first time a woman is commissioner thing.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

nick1091 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:14 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:31 am
I mean, Rock has decades long experience talking to press and the public and Cardinale is a financier 98% of people have never heard of. Pretty easy to figure out who you put in front of USA Today. DG's there because they're really devoted to getting mileage out of the first time a woman is commissioner thing.
I don't disagree, what I'm saying is IF GC took active position in public as financier of XFL (ie real owner) it would destroy the illusion that "its Rocks" league. That's what helps get eyeballs. DG woman owner thing may be worth a ham sandwich.
He Hate Me
Receiver

Post by He Hate Me »

Bottom line, if Redbird pulls the capital then there is nothing left. The remaining "owners" would scramble like the AAF and just make things worse. Let's hope it never comes to this.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

He Hate Me wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:41 pm Bottom line, if Redbird pulls the capital then there is nothing left. The remaining "owners" would scramble like the AAF and just make things worse. Let's hope it never comes to this.
Yep and yep
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

He Hate Me wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:41 pm Bottom line, if Redbird pulls the capital then there is nothing left. The remaining "owners" would scramble like the AAF and just make things worse. Let's hope it never comes to this.
The Rock will be fine. He's rumored to be a part of an ownership group to buy the Ottawa Senators and speculation out there is that he's part of an investment group interested in buying the WWE.