USATODAY: DJ, DG on XFL

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: USATODAY: DJ, DG on XFL

Post by laxtreme56 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:19 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:09 pm
GDAWG wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm A return in 2024 doesn't surprise me at all. Whether or not all 8 current teams return though seems unlikely.

Saying in week 6 they will return next season doesn't surprise me at all. Hopefully doesn't change after the championship. All up to RBC. The economy isn't helping.
I will be surprised if RBC pulls out after one season. I have long believed that they will only pull out if they believe they can get an NFL team and they are not in the running for the Commanders.
They also spent $1.3 billion to purchase AC Milan last year. The XFL is a medium risk, high reward investment, but like any good investment, it's gonna take more than a year or 2 to see significant returns
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

For comparison sake, here's some quotes from week 7 in XFL 1.0.

We all want to see it work, he told the paper. "The evidence through 75 percent of the regular season is not promising....It's going to have to show a marked swing in the ratings in the postseason for it to have a real shot beyond this year, just from an advertising standpoint."

"I hope NBC steps up with us, but if they can't, they can't," McMahon told the Times . "We won't hold their feet to the fire. We won't point fingers. A deal has to work for both partners."

But, he added: "If we have no network TV partner, we have no league. We've had preliminary talks with UPN, and they are interested."

So if you were even just a casual fan back then, why would you even bother watching the rest of the season with that much uncertainty? Just like the AAF missing payroll after week one did irreparable damage to its reputation.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:35 pm "I hope NBC steps up with us, but if they can't, they can't," McMahon told the Times . "We won't hold their feet to the fire. We won't point fingers. A deal has to work for both partners."

But, he added: "If we have no network TV partner, we have no league. We've had preliminary talks with UPN, and they are interested."
XFL 2001 lost its main broadcaster and its 50% funder. That's the equivalent of XFL 2023 losing Disney/ESPN and Redbird Capital. Could that happen? Why not?
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Joker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:57 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:35 pm "I hope NBC steps up with us, but if they can't, they can't," McMahon told the Times . "We won't hold their feet to the fire. We won't point fingers. A deal has to work for both partners."

XFL 2001 lost its main broadcaster and its 50% funder. That's the equivalent of XFL 2023 losing Disney/ESPN and Redbird Capital. Could that happen? Why not?
Oh it could happen, especially depending on the Iger ax, of course that would also indicate the XFL's deal was more significant if so.

NBC's was bigger, co-ownership, plus with the Olympics coming up in 2002 there would have no place for the XFL anyway. Plus, they were actually drawing less viewers than they had the previous year for Saturday night movies (and obviously for much less, which was the chief concern). Here it's all over the place what the league is getting from ESPN but their viewership is competitive in its timeslot not just year-to-year but also with other properties, whether it be overall viewers or demos, and if it's not too cost-ineffective it should be okay.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

One of the biggest disappointments to me, is the poor play of the quarterbacks. With all these supposed efforts at training up the quarterbacks prior to the season beginning, I was expecting a much higher level of quarter back play. so far it’s been anything but exceptional.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:50 pm One of the biggest disappointments to me, is the poor play of the quarterbacks. With all these supposed efforts at training up the quarterbacks prior to the season beginning, I was expecting a much higher level of quarter back play. so far it’s been anything but exceptional.
I agree, posted same a week or two ago. Esp Coan and Plitt, DiNucci has been a turnover buzz killing machine all yr.
How Willis and Scott didn't end up on those teams is beyond me.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Here's a second part of that interview with Johnson and Garcia, published today, focused on the competition between the XFL and USFL:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... 541871002/
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I love the USFL refusing to comment on their own commercial.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:09 am I love the USFL refusing to comment on their own commercial.
Right? The Rock came right at them basically saying "Just bring it!", and then silence.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:57 am Here's a second part of that interview with Johnson and Garcia, published today, focused on the competition between the XFL and USFL:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/x ... 541871002/
This article has more meat on bones... But I'd much prefer to hear from Gerri C. - of course he wants it to appear that Rk owns the league for PR purposes so I get it. But DG saying she's fine with it isn't quite the same.