Game thread: San Antonio Brahmas @ Arlington Renegades, Sunday, March 26 3:00PM ET, ABC, ESPN+

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Game thread: San Antonio Brahmas @ Arlington Renegades, Sunday, March 26 3:00PM ET, ABC, ESPN+

Post by laxtreme56 »

Also gotta question Stoops to not call a timeout with 45 secs left when SA had ball deep in their own territory. After the 3rd down stop he then calls a timeout with 14 secs left, giving Arlington the ball back with under ten seconds left and bad field position after the punt. Kinda mind boggling
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Game thread: San Antonio Brahmas @ Arlington Renegades, Sunday, March 26 3:00PM ET, ABC, ESPN+

Post by MarkNelson »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:06 pm Also gotta question Stoops to not call a timeout with 45 secs left when SA had ball deep in their own territory. After the 3rd down stop he then calls a timeout with 14 secs left, giving Arlington the ball back with under ten seconds left and bad field position after the punt. Kinda mind boggling
Stoops didn't look good on that one.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Remember, Arlington has co-OCs in Jonathan Hayes and Chuck Long. Hayes is calling plays. Have to wonder if any consideration will be given to changing play-callers (XFL News Hub's Anthony Miller asked Stoops this after the game: "Not at this time" was his reply).
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Invaders wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:44 pm Ugh. Barely get the play off only to throw an INT. So, so rough...

If Houston and DC can't play entertaining tomorrow I'm going to be so depressed.

Seriously, was XFL 2020 and USFL 2.0 this bad too and I just didn't notice through rose tinted glasses?
No they weren't - These two offenses SA and AR are just awful
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:15 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:06 pm Also gotta question Stoops to not call a timeout with 45 secs left when SA had ball deep in their own territory. After the 3rd down stop he then calls a timeout with 14 secs left, giving Arlington the ball back with under ten seconds left and bad field position after the punt. Kinda mind boggling
Stoops didn't look good on that one.
Agreed LA.

And no he didn't Mark
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:50 pm San Antonio win makes things a lot more interesting in terms of the standings. That'll make more games meaningful in the coming weeks.

It seems like part of the XFL's "player-first" mantra is not to have the sideline reporters ask the tough questions. No interview with Russolino after the missed FG about what went wrong or anything like that. It doesn't have to be antagonistic like XFL1.0 was, but it would certainly make the broadcasts more fascinating.
Like I said XFL was praying they'd pull this off to stave off SA attendance in the tank. SA offense is still horrendous and at can they really go 2-2 over last weeks against any team that can score? I'm not sure I see that unless teams sit players

SA total off today 162 yds (AR had 249 yds)
Last edited by 4th&long on Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

That is the question, can they go 2-2 over the last two weeks?
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:28 pm I had been wondering if people were overrating Benkert. Maybe it's not fair to judge him on today's game because of the lack of prep time and obviously there have been communication issues, but I feel like he's not going to be the savior some people seem to expect.
I mean he arrived with the team Wednesday. NFL talent evaluators have always been high on him. I say roll with Pass next week, and then Benkert week 8, it’s gonna start getting tougher at that point and SA have to clear the table
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 pm
GregParks wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:28 pm I had been wondering if people were overrating Benkert. Maybe it's not fair to judge him on today's game because of the lack of prep time and obviously there have been communication issues, but I feel like he's not going to be the savior some people seem to expect.
I mean he arrived with the team Wednesday. NFL talent evaluators have always been high on him. I say roll with Pass next week, and then Benkert week 8, it’s gonna start getting tougher at that point and SA have to clear the table
right, talent is one thing, but learning a system in two-three days ? or 10? not likely week 8 is the earliest I'd start him. Maybe it was so Pass felt some pressure to perform? Either thanks to AR poor play and a missed FG, SA won so it buys them a week
Coffeeeyes
Quarterback

Post by Coffeeeyes »

I also wanna say I think Pass was actually decent. A QB that can do the read options this offense liked with Coan, just hasn’t got the accuracy and I think he feels the pressure too.

Maybe he’s a project? I don’t know but he’s very athletic lots of upside just needs to hammer that away. He has enough talent to lead this team against the Vipers and I don’t think anyone can blame him for not being the brightest against one of the best defenses in the league