XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Re: Mid season attendance numbers

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Well, St. Louis went up, everyone else is way down. Weeks 2/3 were way off compared to 2020.

The loss of almost half of SA's Week 1 draw is deeply troubling.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:18 am Well, St. Louis went up, everyone else is way down. Weeks 2/3 were way off compared to 2020.

The loss of almost half of SA's Week 1 draw is deeply troubled.
SA is a bad team. If they average over 12k for year its not bad. And they should

StL is up and helping the avg, 14k vs 18k vs XFL 2.0 - granted these are the "official" numbers. W/O StL its under 12k.

Obviously time of day and whether its a school work night/day impact attendance.

TV Ratings are the primary measuring stick, and they likely are now past their toughest week.

The odd thing is they got out of their 3 worst markets (but they weren't that bad) and the replacements are worse (Orl/Vegas), or not much better (SA).
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:18 am Well, St. Louis went up, everyone else is way down. Weeks 2/3 were way off compared to 2020.

SA is a bad team. If they average over 12k for year its not bad. And they should

StL is up and helping the avg, 14k vs 18k vs XFL 2.0 - granted these are the "official" numbers. W/O StL its under 12k.

Obviously time of day and whether its a school work night/day impact attendance.

TV Ratings are the primary measuring stick, and they likely are now past their toughest week.
The "official" numbers are the same as they were reported in XFL 2020. I was at the last Guardians game in Metlife and there were not 12k in the stands. Even if there were, many of those tickets were discounted or given away for free.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:53 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:47 am

The "official" numbers are the same as they were reported in XFL 2020. I was at the last Guardians game in Metlife and there were not 12k in the stands. Even if there were, many of those tickets were discounted or given away for free.
I don't disagree, all leagues/teams do it. Doug Whaley had that video conference over a year ago or when ever and had diff att# than official and that was probably paying or Full Price equivalent. So assuming its about same practice, its apples to apples.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

It's down 21%. That's not close.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Also SA fired its Ticket Sales exec... a few weeks ago during that flap.... apparently not a good idea.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that the two weeks that match up most favorably to the 2020 numbers are the ones in which St. Louis hosted. Maybe these comparisons are numbers the league can take to snow sponsors or somebody with, but I can't say I'm impressed with attendance this year.

There's been some bad weather and bad timeslots that have been out of the league's control (for the weather at least, maybe the times too) that may have played a part in some of these numbers. But we know the league's marketing both in the home cities and nationally is way down from 2020, so these numbers also shouldn't be that much of a surprise (maybe expected low but not THIS low for some).

Mike mentioned this briefly on the Markcast last week and I had been thinking about this too: We know that XFL 2020 spent a lot of money not just in advertising but also infrastructure in these cities, from team presidents to office space, etc. That's a lot of financial overhead. The fact that this version of the XFL eliminated a lot of that with the hub and the lack of advertising $$ could mean that even with the lower attendance, they're coming out further ahead than 2020 (either losing LESS money or making MORE money at least in this department). I don't know, just something to think about.

You also hope to see a boost in season two simply because there's likely a lot of distrust of spring leagues and the XFL in general given its history. They're in "prove it" mode for a lot of people, I'd guess. The league will have an entire offseason to (hopefully) up the advertising and get the league out there in these cities so the brands are a little more well-known come February 2024. They just seemed behind in everything, from advertising to ticket on-sale dates in the lead-up to this season.
@gregmparks
Kriegsbeil
Receiver

Post by Kriegsbeil »

GregParks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:51 am

You also hope to see a boost in season two simply because there's likely a lot of distrust of spring leagues and the XFL in general given its history. They're in "prove it" mode for a lot of people, I'd guess. The league will have an entire offseason to (hopefully) up the advertising and get the league out there in these cities so the brands are a little more well-known come February 2024. They just seemed behind in everything, from advertising to ticket on-sale dates in the lead-up to this season.
Agreed on the being "behind". I followed the XFL on Facebook and there was barely any activity for months on end about the XFL until January. You'd have thought the social media team would have been working overtime to constantly have posts out there to try and garner attention towards the league.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Kriegsbeil wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 am
GregParks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:51 am

Agreed on the being "behind". I followed the XFL on Facebook and there was barely any activity for months on end about the XFL until January. You'd have thought the social media team would have been working overtime to constantly have posts out there to try and garner attention towards the league.
Right. And again, hopefully work will be done in the offseason on that front and others, especially since this is supposed to be a 24/7, 365 day league according to Dany Garcia when she bought the company. If they follow through with that, in whatever form that takes, hopefully you'll see attendance upticks in year two.
@gregmparks