Notes from Mike Mitchell on the Markcast

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Notes from Mike Mitchell on the Markcast

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:36 pm
This strategy follows a whole marketing budget reset, after the XFL shut down in 2020. During its 2020 season, the XFL only had one approach to social media: to publish highlights from the live games. Similar to the NFL, the XFL’s marketing and content departments are working closely to revamp the brand’s social strategy before its return, with a plan to reach fans wherever they are rather than only distributing content on one social media platform.
Is this true? Again, I'm not as in the loop as I used to be, but I thought XFL 2020's social media efforts were a strength, and they definitely only weren't on one platform.
Yeah, it does seem like they’re downplaying the effectiveness of the XFL’s Twitter game in 2020. It’s halfway into the season and we can’t even get team injury reports or transactions posted on team Twitter accounts.

I know they’re very active on Instagram this time around; beyond Twitter, I’m not sure what socials they were involved in in 2020. Snapchat and TikTok is where they should be but I’m not sure how extensive their presence is there, either.
@gregmparks
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:18 am -Mike cited a DigiDay article with XFL CMO Janet Duch (https://digiday.com/marketing/why-the-x ... all-field/). I hadn't seen it discussed here before, but it notes the XFL has spent $125,000 on marketing for 2023 which is...an extremely low number.
That is crazy. From that article:
As the season progresses, the XFL will also leverage YouTube football influencers for co-marketing efforts, according to Duch, to widen the brand’s reach to Gen Z football fans
Has this started to happen? I think this would be smart. I'd have been paying MrGo30 to make XFL videos, getting the SickosCommittee guys to cover games, etc. Of course, I pulled the plug on Twitter, so maybe stuff like that' is happening and I'm just out of the loop?
This strategy follows a whole marketing budget reset, after the XFL shut down in 2020. During its 2020 season, the XFL only had one approach to social media: to publish highlights from the live games. Similar to the NFL, the XFL’s marketing and content departments are working closely to revamp the brand’s social strategy before its return, with a plan to reach fans wherever they are rather than only distributing content on one social media platform.
Is this true? Again, I'm not as in the loop as I used to be, but I thought XFL 2020's social media efforts were a strength, and they definitely only weren't on one platform.
They’ve been utilizing this YouTube personality weekly. Over 2 million views for this 14 minute video.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:06 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:18 am -Mike cited a DigiDay article with XFL CMO Janet Duch (https://digiday.com/marketing/why-the-x ... all-field/). I hadn't seen it discussed here before, but it notes the XFL has spent $125,000 on marketing for 2023 which is...an extremely low number.
That is crazy. From that article:
As the season progresses, the XFL will also leverage YouTube football influencers for co-marketing efforts, according to Duch, to widen the brand’s reach to Gen Z football fans
Has this started to happen? I think this would be smart. I'd have been paying MrGo30 to make XFL videos, getting the SickosCommittee guys to cover games, etc. Of course, I pulled the plug on Twitter, so maybe stuff like that' is happening and I'm just out of the loop?
They’ve been utilizing this YouTube personality weekly. Over 2 million views for this 14 minute video.
You know for only having 12K that game sure sounded like a bigger deal (maybe about 20). The smaller crowds have all done that, even Vegas had a couple moments. Which is great because then when you have SA and STL then it just goes next level.

And that's Deestroying, a teammate of the brothers Griffin and 2020 Renegade Tony Guerad at UCF who ended up on the NCAA's blacklist for his YT activity, which helped usher in NIL (and considering Oliver Luck was at the NCAA at the time a break from XFL2.0?)
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I could see Deestroying as a league ambassador, but I think his playing days are past him despite being 26.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

You mention Deestroying and FCF... I know the XFL has an official affiliation with the IFL, but don't discount the unofficial pipeline there has been between FCF and the XFL.

Orlando's Quinton Flowers and Deondre Francois, San Antonio's Travis Toivonen... they're just three of the FCF alumni who have stuck on an XFL roster this year. Now, that hasn't totally panned out as far as on-field results, but FCF moved its season to after the end of the XFL's... you have FCF's star QB Johnny Manziel a known supporter of the Rock's... and their strategic approaches (target younger demographics, be innovative with their approaches to the game) align quite well.

So having FCF and the XFL strategically aligned is another feather in the cap that might give both leagues leverage in the Spring Football Wars against Fox and the USFL.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:26 pm You mention Deestroying and FCF... I know the XFL has an official affiliation with the IFL, but don't discount the unofficial pipeline there has been between FCF and the XFL.

Orlando's Quinton Flowers and Deondre Francois, San Antonio's Travis Toivonen... they're just three of the FCF alumni who have stuck on an XFL roster this year. Now, that hasn't totally panned out as far as on-field results, but FCF moved its season to after the end of the XFL's... you have FCF's star QB Johnny Manziel a known supporter of the Rock's... and their strategic approaches (target younger demographics, be innovative with their approaches to the game) align quite well.

So having FCF and the XFL strategically aligned is another feather in the cap that might give both leagues leverage in the Spring Football Wars against Fox and the USFL.
https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/fan ... l-of-2023/

Actually they moved it to the fall and will focus on FCHoops. Good luck with that.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:21 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:26 pm You mention Deestroying and FCF... I know the XFL has an official affiliation with the IFL, but don't discount the unofficial pipeline there has been between FCF and the XFL.

https://xflnewshub.com/alt-football/fan ... l-of-2023/

Actually they moved it to the fall and will focus on FCHoops. Good luck with that.
See he made the mistake of saying 'against the USFL', course their main man's gonna come to their rescue.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

FCF lost credibility with me when they received significant investment from a Crypto Company. They added 4 new teams in 2022, one of them owned by that stupid Bored Ape NFT and another one owned by a Crypto company called 888 Crypto, so celebrity investors in the FCF won't matter in the long term.

And most of these celebrity investors in the FCF come from the sports world, with quite a few current and former NFL players like Marshawn Lynch, Todd Gurley, Austin Ekeler, Marcus Peters, Richard Sherman, Jamal Anderson, Tiki and Ronde Barber and Dalvin Cook. Others include Pro Wrestler Miro (formerly known as Rusev in WWE. He's been treated the same in AEW as he was in WWE), Rapper Quavo from the group Migos, Oakland A's pitcher Trevor May, former WNBA star and current WNBA team executive Renee Montgomery, The Bachelorette's Rachael Lindsay, NFL Network Analyst Cynthia Frelund and Music Producer/DJ Steve Aoki.

As for the notes from Mike Mitchell, I listened to it, quite informative.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

XFL 2023 got started late on all their marketing including social media and it shows.

They are catching up now and it also shows. I think it would have been better to start off running, but I don't pay the bills for this league.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

On the marketing front, I received this graphic in an email:
Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 2.54.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 2.54.05 PM.png (408.63 KiB) Viewed 530 times
I'm struck that the image features a guy holding a 2020 giveaway, a 2020 jersey, and even the code of SHIELD is relying on the 2020 branding. There's some 2023 stuff in there, but pretty remarkable how hard they're leaning on the old stuff.

Which, of course, calls into question why they spent time and effort tweaking the branding if they weren't going to be willing to be put a full marketing push behind it.

I know we're in dead horse territory, but it jumped out at me.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion