Game thread: Houston Roughnecks @ Seattle Sea Dragons, Thursday, March 16 10:30PM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Game thread: Houston Roughnecks @ Seattle Sea Dragons, Thursday, March 16 10:30PM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

Post by laxtreme56 »

As expected, few stayed up to watch this game. 256k viewers last night.
https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/show ... inals.html
MGB01
MVP

Re: Game thread: Houston Roughnecks @ Seattle Sea Dragons, Thursday, March 16 10:30PM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

Post by MGB01 »

As I said in the other thread, probably should have kept it on FX
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

A few final thoughts on the sea Sea Dragons/Houston game. Certainly, it was the defense that kept Seattle in the game. They had a little bit of offenseless and a whole lot of defense. That said, it does say something about Houston that Seattle won the game and was in control most of it with four turnovers. Two of those turnovers cost Seattle a minimum of six to a maximum of 18 points. Dinucci is a puzzle, I have come to believe that when things are going well in the game, he becomes overly confident in his own abilities, and as a result makes incredibly rookie-ish mistakes. I believe that if they could get the new cheated, quit making boneheaded errors, Seattle could easily run the table and win the championship. It’s not likely, though that that’s gonna happen with his consistently bad decision making.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

sorry about some of the above speech to text mistakes. That’s what happens when you get in a hurry.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:00 pm A few final thoughts on the sea Sea Dragons/Houston game. Certainly, it was the defense that kept Seattle in the game. They had a little bit of offenseless and a whole lot of defense. That said, it does say something about Houston that Seattle won the game and was in control most of it with four turnovers. Two of those turnovers cost Seattle a minimum of six to a maximum of 18 points. Dinucci is a puzzle, I have come to believe that when things are going well in the game, he becomes overly confident in his own abilities, and as a result makes incredibly rookie-ish mistakes. I believe that if they could get the new cheated, quit making boneheaded errors, Seattle could easily run the table and win the championship. It’s not likely, though that that’s gonna happen with his consistently bad decision making.
Yep, and despite that 3-2. If (by luck) they avoid DiNucci implosion, they can win it all.

Looks like a 4 team contest much like USFL 2022.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

And terrible returns to the Evergreen State for

Race Porter: two punts blocked
Max Borghi: 33 yards on 11 touches (did have a TD)
Travell Harris: Decent statistical night (5-58) but did get bailed out of a C'mon Man moment
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

I certainly don't hate the idea of non-weekend games, but Seattle getting two Thursday nighters and a Friday night game seems odd, especially the two Thursday night games being 40% of the team's total home game allotment for the season.

And a 10:30pm EST start on a weekday evening doesn't really help anyone. As I said in another thread, I kinda hope ESPN/XFL is using this year as a testing ground to see what days/times/networks work best for maximizing viewership to give them something to go off when creating next year's schedule.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I agree that Seattle is a legitimate title contender. I just don’t know if “decision making” is something DiNucci can realistically improve. Maybe that’s unfair, but how many weeks of this is needed before he adjusts? Seems like winning two playoff games against good teams is going to be big ask with such a liability at quarterback.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:14 pm I certainly don't hate the idea of non-weekend games, but Seattle getting two Thursday nighters and a Friday night game seems odd, especially the two Thursday night games being 40% of the team's total home game allotment for the season.

And a 10:30pm EST start on a weekday evening doesn't really help anyone. As I said in another thread, I kinda hope ESPN/XFL is using this year as a testing ground to see what days/times/networks work best for maximizing viewership to give them something to go off when creating next year's schedule.
That's assuming ABC/ESPN/FX are looking to maximize viewership. Its likely not the goal. XFL goals and Disney's goals aren't the same. One is a network the other a sports league. The primary goal for DISNEY is (likely) filling time slots with original programming. XFL may not have as much say in the process as you may believe.
Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:14 pm I agree that Seattle is a legitimate title contender. I just don’t know if “decision making” is something DiNucci can realistically improve. Maybe that’s unfair, but how many weeks of this is needed before he adjusts? Seems like winning two playoff games against good teams is going to be big ask with such a liability at quarterback.
That's a vaild point and its why he needs to hear haslett chew his ear off. Sans harsh reality coaching he likely has zero chance of improvement. The tough love by coaching staff may be exactly what he needs.