Game thread: Houston Roughnecks @ Seattle Sea Dragons, Thursday, March 16 10:30PM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

XFL Football discussion.
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: Game thread: Houston Roughnecks @ Seattle Sea Dragons, Thursday, March 16 10:30PM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

Post by laxtreme56 »

Maybe it's for the best this game was tucked away on the first day of March madness and didn't end until after 1am. While I didn't think it'd be the blockbuster some predicted, that game was downright ugly. I'd expect that in week 1 or 2, but definitely not the halfway mark.
Sounder
Coach

Re: Game thread: Houston Roughnecks @ Seattle Sea Dragons, Thursday, March 16 10:30PM ET, ESPN, ESPN+

Post by Sounder »

So what are we supposed to think now? The SeaDragons are 3-2 and right in the mix! I wonder if anyone around here knows? I overestimated the attendance. They'll be the funniest championship team ever if that's how it ends. And all 9,000 of you hardcore fans can agree You should get a Croix De Something just for being there.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:59 am Maybe it's for the best this game was tucked away on the first day of March madness and didn't end until after 1am. While I didn't think it'd be the blockbuster some predicted, that game was downright ugly. I'd expect that in week 1 or 2, but definitely not the halfway mark.
I dunno, 2/3 of the Seattle units came to play, the third though, maybe we should be saying IT'S TEZ TIME
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I have to say... I'm starting to think that Thursday nights are not the most ideal night for attendance.

I don't know what ESPN typically broadcasts on a Friday night but I'm surprised that they didn't put more games in those slots. I mean, tonight it's collegiate mat wrestling—a program far better fit for ESPN2 or ESPNU. But their exclusive contract with the NCAA for most of their championships clogs up their entire schedule with games very few people are going to watch. But there's also ABC... and the networks have long seen it as the Friday night death slot, so putting a football game there might actually make MORE sense. Not to mention FX, which has outperformed expectations.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:34 am I have to say... I'm starting to think that Thursday nights are not the most ideal night for attendance.

I don't know what ESPN typically broadcasts on a Friday night but I'm surprised that they didn't put more games in those slots. I mean, tonight it's collegiate mat wrestling—a program far better fit for ESPN2 or ESPNU. But their exclusive contract with the NCAA for most of their championships clogs up their entire schedule with games very few people are going to watch. But there's also ABC... and the networks have long seen it as the Friday night death slot, so putting a football game there might actually make MORE sense. Not to mention FX, which has outperformed expectations.
Friday nights on ABC had historically been family friendly kid leaning shows. Now it's "Shark Tank"....they could do better
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

Sounder wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:51 pm
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:34 am I have to say... I'm starting to think that Thursday nights are not the most ideal night for attendance.

Friday nights on ABC had historically been family friendly kid leaning shows. Now it's "Shark Tank"....they could do better, but would an XFL game clear enough affiliates.....because on the west coast, I can't see a game starting later than 5pm....and they'd probably opt out because it would preempt local news. They used to delay MNF around here.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

The FX Friday night game is coming up in two weeks, that's a good start for a potential 'anything here?'

But as far as ABC goes, Shark Tank still draws worst-case basis three million viewers. So right now it's not even up for discussion.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

True, but that said, it's easier to get people to come out later on a weekend night (Friday or Saturday) than before a work day (Sunday or Thursday). Especially if it's not during sweeps, you could set an 8:35 pm local time and pre-empt Kimmel and Nightline on the East Coast. Literally nobody would flinch since those shows don't get much in ratings anyway.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

I know when it comes to hockey, the team in Buffalo likes to promote their road games when they're on the West Coast as "Sabres After Dark," and it's pretty popular. Like I said, you could get a young demographic on a non-weeknight.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Just finished up the game. That was a real disappointment. As much as we've ragged on the poor offensive line play for the lack of scoring, the constant dropped passes and red zone turnovers are just killers. And it's every week. I would've hoped we'd see some improvement in these areas by week five. I know the announcers mentioned these teams playing on a short week, and I guess that's potentially a reason they struggled.

Glad Seattle won to shake things up in the standings a little bit, but that was a rough game to watch.
@gregmparks