XFL players file w/NLRB to form players union

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: XFL players file w/NLRB to form players union

Post by MGB01 »

But was it? There were talks, although internally, to shelve the 2021 season, I even went back-and-forth with a poster (not 4th thank god) over it during the time it seemed like we'd been overrun with 3DN transplants.

Overdramatization? yes. Disinformation? no.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

We don't have to relitigate, but he didn't say that there were talks about shelving the 2021 season, he said that the 2021 season had been canceled. Full stop.

Whether he was deliberately saying something untrue for the sake of negotiating or just wrong, I suppose only he can say. Either way, it was pretty clear that the CFLPA didn't appreciate the help.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:47 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:07 pm
He Hate Me wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:03 pm Farrow did found the UFPA for all the right reasons. Keep in mind he was in the AAF when it folded and all their players were evicted from their accommodations and forced to find their way home. That was one of the big motivators behind the UFPA.
Yet Farrow caused a $h!+ storm on falsely reporting negotiations between the CFL(he was a former player in the CFL too) and the CFLPA going badly. It was quickly diffused/denied by both league and Players Association. The CFL CBA has installed labor peace for a long time for several years. The dude was trying to attract attention to himself and his newly formed union
But was that perhaps done with a hidden purpose in mind? There were talks of as many 2/3 of the ownership groups in favor of not playing the 2021 season, which as I argued at the time, was an absolute no-go. The CFL absolutely could not withstand two years idle--there were some comparisons here at the time to the NHL lockout in 2005, but they also had a TV deal with NBC to come back to the CFL had no such luxury.

So if that took the focus off of shutting the league down another year to player relations (pointing towards a 2021 season) then good on him.
That's not true. There was talk of Ti-Cats owner, Bob Young was going to loan money to the league to play in 2020. But the other CFL owners, mainly the Corporate groups didn't want to be on the hook for a loan. Hence Ambrosie's failed plea to get Gov't grant/handout.

The thing is NO league could pause their season for two years. Even the NFL had a drop in revenues when it came back to play. I thought McMahon could've continued his XFL season during the summer rather than declare bankruptcy. McMahon never said COVID killed off the XFL in bankruptcy court. He was losing money each week before the Pandemic hit

The CFL still had it's deal with TSN, it got a lesser payment from the network with the shorten season.

Farrow is wrong and should've mind his own business. He only wanted to bring attention to his union and possibly poach CFL players to join his then newly formed union
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

Could this union push to keep XFL contracts "non-exclusive". In other words: Allow players after the season to try to get on USFL rosters.

Or...
Somewhat along those lines...

Is anything stopping players from requesting to be released? So they can do like Kyle Sloter and get paid to play in both leagues. I suppose it would probably burn bridges for any potential return in the future. (hmmm I wonder if Sloter will be unofficially black-balled)
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:17 am Could this union push to keep XFL contracts "non-exclusive". In other words: Allow players after the season to try to get on USFL rosters.

Or...
Somewhat along those lines...

Is anything stopping players from requesting to be released? So they can do like Kyle Sloter and get paid to play in both leagues. I suppose it would probably burn bridges for any potential return in the future. (hmmm I wonder if Sloter will be unofficially black-balled)
It better otherwise why have the Union?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Why would they do that? Besides Sloter won't even be the first guy to potentially play in both.

And I'm sure that any returning DB in either league would welcome him back :D
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am Why would they do that? Besides Sloter won't even be the first guy to potentially play in both.

Why?? Really?? to make moooo MONEY .... ie CA$$$$H
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:04 pm
MGB01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:50 am Why would they do that? Besides Sloter won't even be the first guy to potentially play in both.

Why?? Really?? to make moooo MONEY .... ie CA$$$$H
Um, why=make some sort of an example by shunning him.

Hitting 1.000 again as usual I see..................