XFL players file w/NLRB to form players union

XFL Football discussion.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Re: XFL players file w/NLRB to form players union

Post by DavedaHammer »

He Hate Me wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:03 pm Farrow did found the UFPA for all the right reasons. Keep in mind he was in the AAF when it folded and all their players were evicted from their accommodations and forced to find their way home. That was one of the big motivators behind the UFPA.
Yet Farrow caused a $h!+ storm on falsely reporting negotiations between the CFL(he was a former player in the CFL too) and the CFLPA going badly. It was quickly diffused/denied by both league and Players Association. The CFL CBA has installed labor peace for a long time for several years. The dude was trying to attract attention to himself and his newly formed union
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I would not be surprised if the Rock threw his support behind the players in this, which would help the negotiations go smoothly. I say this because he's already a member of the Screen Actors Guild and Producers Guild.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I expected this eventually, but not this quickly - good for them! Even though I was management for a lot of my career; I am very pro union!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:07 pm
He Hate Me wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:03 pm Farrow did found the UFPA for all the right reasons. Keep in mind he was in the AAF when it folded and all their players were evicted from their accommodations and forced to find their way home. That was one of the big motivators behind the UFPA.
Yet Farrow caused a $h!+ storm on falsely reporting negotiations between the CFL(he was a former player in the CFL too) and the CFLPA going badly. It was quickly diffused/denied by both league and Players Association. The CFL CBA has installed labor peace for a long time for several years. The dude was trying to attract attention to himself and his newly formed union
But was that perhaps done with a hidden purpose in mind? There were talks of as many 2/3 of the ownership groups in favor of not playing the 2021 season, which as I argued at the time, was an absolute no-go. The CFL absolutely could not withstand two years idle--there were some comparisons here at the time to the NHL lockout in 2005, but they also had a TV deal with NBC to come back to the CFL had no such luxury.

So if that took the focus off of shutting the league down another year to player relations (pointing towards a 2021 season) then good on him.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Firecop wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 pm I expected this eventually, but not this quickly - good for them! Even though I was management for a lot of my career; I am very pro union!
I have seen the benefit of unions in my own family, allowing for fair wages and prosperity. I was in the military for 26 years, and we were not unionized. However, the nation looked after us, and we were treated fairly. In my current job we have a union, and we need it. Our leadership would happily diminish our wages and benefits without it, saying they are too poor to pay a living wage and proper benefits. A union stops this B.S. For players it is largely the same situation. Depending on the league, they often have had to fight for medical coverage, housing, insurance, and of course wages. It is more than wages. I am pro union.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

A few years ago, there were calls for pro wrestlers to unionize, and well, that went up in flames after the one Indy wrestler who wanted the wrestlers to unionize (including ones in WWE) went from a hero of the Indy wrestling community for his anti-WWE/Pro union stance to a disgusting piece of human filth. I am not going to say his name, except it rhymes with "Ravid Parr." Andrew Yang got involved in it a bit when he ran for President and kept going for it on social media after Biden was elected, but that disappeared when he decided to run for Mayor of New York City.

So what does this have to with the XFL and their attempts at forming a union? Well....make sure that the people involved are good guys, upstanding people and that the big name supporters of this attempt to unionize stick with it. This seems likely to be the case in a future XFL Players Association.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:47 pmBut was that perhaps done with a hidden purpose in mind?
So not misinformation but disinformation. Great.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:15 pm
Firecop wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 pm I expected this eventually, but not this quickly - good for them! Even though I was management for a lot of my career; I am very pro union!
I have seen the benefit of unions in my own family, allowing for fair wages and prosperity. I was in the military for 26 years, and we were not unionized. However, the nation looked after us, and we were treated fairly. In my current job we have a union, and we need it. Our leadership would happily diminish our wages and benefits without it, saying they are too poor to pay a living wage and proper benefits. A union stops this B.S. For players it is largely the same situation. Depending on the league, they often have had to fight for medical coverage, housing, insurance, and of course wages. It is more than wages. I am pro union.
See, I'm the opposite. My parents were lower working class. We very nearly lost our home to property taxes, and my father made enemies of the local teacher's union pretty quickly, who took it out on me.

Screw the unions. They're a cesspool of corruption.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:48 pm
MGB01 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:47 pmBut was that perhaps done with a hidden purpose in mind?
So not misinformation but disinformation. Great.
Not necessarily if the goal is to turn the focus elsewhere.

No CFL in 2021 would have = no CFL period. Sure I think they added on 2022, which seemed absolutely ridiculous but considering even reporting was all over the place, necessary. Almost consider it their first real negotiation.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MGB01 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:03 pm Not necessarily if the goal is to turn the focus elsewhere.
Maybe we have different definitions of disinformation.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion