Guardians release QB Quinten Dormady

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Guardians release QB Quinten Dormady

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am I don't see that they're "clouding what actually happened" by reinstating him. That's the thing you SHOULD do when there are two sides to a story - put him on the reserve list, let the league figure it out with an investigation, then he can face whatever consequences will come, if any.

Plus, there may be legal ramifications for the league had he stayed released. If a player is released for something they didn't do, they could sue, no? So yes, the league is definitely in CYA mode, whether it has to do with potential issues on the gambling side or lawsuits. They want to get to the bottom of what happened before they (or the Guardians) make any major moves on this.
Perhaps clouding isn't the right word, but when fired it was a clear giving away of the play book. Now, by reinstating and investigating it ads doubt to what actually happened (benefits league). But the cats out of the bag (NY Post/PFT after initial reports). Now its damage control.

It's all about the gambling and public perception of watching a real game vs rigged. (not saying it is but they don't need those meme's)

Also by being an employee (reinstating him) - he can't tell his story to the media. Make no mistake - the league is trying to do what they can to limit fallout and compartmentalize this as much as possible . I don't expect to hear much about it from the league. I do expect internal meetings on exchanging info across teams as a no-no.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:01 am
GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am I don't see that they're "clouding what actually happened" by reinstating him. That's the thing you SHOULD do when there are two sides to a story - put him on the reserve list, let the league figure it out with an investigation, then he can face whatever consequences will come, if any.

Plus, there may be legal ramifications for the league had he stayed released. If a player is released for something they didn't do, they could sue, no? So yes, the league is definitely in CYA mode, whether it has to do with potential issues on the gambling side or lawsuits. They want to get to the bottom of what happened before they (or the Guardians) make any major moves on this.
Perhaps clouding isn't the right word, but when fired it was a clear giving away of the play book. Now, by reinstating and investigating it ads doubt to what actually happened (benefits league). But the cats out of the bag (NY Post/PFT after initial reports). Now its damage control.
Maybe because there IS doubt to what actually happened? Clearly there are two sides here and the league is trying to get to the bottom of what happened. Isn't that what they SHOULD be doing? See Mark's report on the front page today. There is obviously more to this story than "Dormady gave away the playbook and now the league is in damage control."
@gregmparks
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

I have been told the whole story with all the greasy facts. The one part of the story I was able to corroborate is Dormady only revealed he would not play in Guardians week 2, something the head coach pointed out during the week 1 broadcast. Dormady never revealed anything further, and I have that from the player Dormady spoke to. So, how does all this become a national story? If I can corroborate further that may be the next piece. Meanwhile, I hope the XFL clears Dormady's name.
UFLBoard: https://uflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:29 am I have been told the whole story with all the greasy facts.
This is why you always pick the chicken salad.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MarkNelson wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:29 am I have been told the whole story with all the greasy facts. The one part of the story I was able to corroborate is Dormady only revealed he would not play in Guardians week 2, something the head coach pointed out during the week 1 broadcast. Dormady never revealed anything further, and I have that from the player Dormady spoke to. So, how does all this become a national story? If I can corroborate further that may be the next piece. Meanwhile, I hope the XFL clears Dormady's name.
Why did it get this far? Because they canned him for giving any plays or similar per the initial reports. Because the XFL pr department didn't get out in front of it. They definitely do NOT want players discussing who is playing or not to other teams. I'm sure you'll hear something to the effect that "players/coaches are not to share internal team information to other teams personnel" coming out soon.

Its on major news media now. Its up to the XFL to clean it up. If it turns out Dormady did nothing but got fired by Buckley (or someone else) - I would not be surprised if the firing person is in fact let go (even Buckley), in order to make this go away. BTW Buckley (KW the 2nd) throwing team under bus in week 2 is in news too. Ohhhh the drama.

Once the drama dies down it will come out likely after season end.
CFLfan_inPhilly
Running Back

Post by CFLfan_inPhilly »

GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am there may be legal ramifications for the league had he stayed released. If a player is released for something they didn't do, they could sue, no?
I wonder if attorney fees would actually be a higher dollar amount than any "potential lost wages" for an XFL player. I suppose they could pivot towards some "emotional distress" angle or whatever. :roll:
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:53 am

Why did it get this far? Because they canned him for giving any plays or similar per the initial reports.
For ALLEGEDLY giving any plays. That's why there's an investigation going on.
Because the XFL pr department didn't get out in front of it.
Wait, do you think the XFL released Dormady because of this? Or the Guardians? It's pretty clear the Guardians did, right? And then word got back to the league of the reasoning, which is why they intervened and put him on the reserve list while they did an investigation?
They definitely do NOT want players discussing who is playing or not to other teams.
Generally speaking you're correct, but in this particular instance, Buckley had apparently told the game one announcers in a production meeting that Dormady would not be playing in game two since it was discussed on-air during the first game (see Mark's column). If what Dormady's side alleges is true (and is backed up by the player Mark talked to) then he didn't reveal anything that wasn't already public knowledge to the player for the other team.
Its up to the XFL to clean it up. If it turns out Dormady did nothing but got fired by Buckley (or someone else) - I would not be surprised if the firing person is in fact let go (even Buckley), in order to make this go away.
The XFL is cleaning it up - that's why there's an investigation. It's to the point where I've looked at Orlando's assistant coaches to see who might be elevated to interim coach in the event Buckley is let go. If that happens, it's not to make this incident "go away"; it's because Buckley has not lived up to the standards that a head coach should have, this incident included.
@gregmparks
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

CFLfan_inPhilly wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:04 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:28 am there may be legal ramifications for the league had he stayed released. If a player is released for something they didn't do, they could sue, no?
I wonder if attorney fees would actually be a higher dollar amount than any "potential lost wages" for an XFL player. I suppose they could pivot towards some "emotional distress" angle or whatever. :roll:
You'd also be arguing future lost wages, as it's unlikely another team in any league would touch a QB with that accusation against them.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I'm not following this "legal ramification" stuff. Surely the league is allowed to release players, even if their reason for doing so is wrong/stupid.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:22 pm I'm not following this "legal ramification" stuff. Surely the league is allowed to release players, even if their reason for doing so is wrong/stupid.
I truly don't know - I don't profess to be a legal scholar. But if I'm a player and I get released for a reason outside of performance, much less a reason that (a) isn't true and (b) could prevent me from getting a job in the future, I'm going to explore whatever legal options are out there.
@gregmparks