Random News and Notes From Historic Day In The XFL

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Random News and Notes From Historic Day In The XFL

Post by MikeMitchell »

Where do I start? There is so much going on and so much to keep track of. Rather than start a bunch of posts. I will try to fit what I can in here.

The AAF is taking The XFL's "sky judge idea" and using it in their league. One of the disadvantages to telling the press, what you plan on doing. That's what Oliver Luck in the last two weeks of interviews did with the press. The video official was reported here on this board. The AAF is trying to pass this off as their own original innovation but why didn't they release news of this last week.

Bob Stoops has been making the media rounds. I am still catching up to all of his interviews. He's signed a 2 year deal with The XFL. He is going to work on putting together his staff. He was interviewed by Mike Florio on PFT's PM Podcast. It was a good listen. Stoops says that he is going to work directly with the league in providing input towards league rules etc.... Stoops laughed off people saying that he would use the XFL as a stepping stone back into college. The February to April aspect is one of the draws to him joining the league. The close proximity of Dallas, to his 3 children at OU and being there in the fall were big factors. He still wants to keep ties to OU.

In case anyone missed it. Oliver Luck confirmed that the league will be working with YourCallFootball later this month, for the next group of testing in Jacksonville, Florida. Everyone who follows the league knows that Eric Galko, the Director of Player Scouting for the XFL, is compiling those rosters. Beyond testing XFL rules and ideas with these players. One thing to watch for is the potential tech tie-in between The XFL and YCF. There are some really cool concepts that can possibly transfer to the league.

In an interview with Houston Radio. Oliver Luck stated that the XFL would be looking to expand their talent pool internationally. Having at least 1 international player per team. For those who have been following, American Style football has really expanded in Europe. Especially in places like Germany, Brazil and even Japan. It's not a game changer but it's also not a bad idea to expand your horizons in looking for football talent.

One of the things that Luck mentioned that caught my attention is mini-camps. This is important before the huge training camps scheduled in Texas later this year. Oliver says that the league would like to have team meetings and activities prior to the 2 XFL drafts later in the year.

If you caught my post about head coaching clues earlier this week. Two of the hints that Oliver Luck dropped during a Tuesday interview have been answered. Head coach of a major college program. (Stoops)... Former coordinators with no head coaching experience (Pep Hamilton).... Still waiting for the next hint.. "Former NFL head coaches and Former NFL head coaches who left assistant jobs to join the league". I am sticking to my guns here. I think that Marty Mornhinweg is going to be announced as one of The XFL Head Coaches/GM's. He left Baltimore after being demoted from his OC position, despite John Harbaugh pleading with him to stay on. It's not a sexy hire but i have a feeling it's going to happen.
4D68854D-DDC8-46E1-BD77-6C22DCE34B27.jpeg
4D68854D-DDC8-46E1-BD77-6C22DCE34B27.jpeg (108.32 KiB) Viewed 1237 times