XFL QB salaries

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

XFL QB salaries

Post by 4th&long »

>> Chris Tomasson
@christomasson
Quarterback Brett Hundley gets $200,000 from the Vegas Vipers this season to make him highest-paid XFL player.
7:42 PM · Feb 2, 2023
·29.6K<<

The Markcast®
@the_markcast
·
8h
Replying to
@christomasson
Still WAY less than #XFL2020 QBs Cardale, Landry Jones and McGloin.
#XFL <<

Assuming true than the XFL is paying far less than others suggested - and can infer that the USFL/XFL are not in a major bidding war for QB's over $$.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL QB salaries

Post by GDAWG »

Sometimes it's not always about the money, it's also about playing time. Some QBs the XFL were interested in like Aqeel Glass, Davis Cheek and Cole Kelley opted for the USFL because of the need for playing time.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:03 pm Sometimes it's not always about the money, it's also about playing time. Some QBs the XFL were interested in like Aqeel Glass, Davis Cheek and Cole Kelley opted for the USFL because of the need for playing time.
That may be true.

But was more interested in the $$$ the QBs are getting paid, it was rumored that XFL was paying much higher, like XFL 2.0. If $200k is the max paid, its more financially prudent.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:04 pm
GDAWG wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:03 pm Sometimes it's not always about the money, it's also about playing time. Some QBs the XFL were interested in like Aqeel Glass, Davis Cheek and Cole Kelley opted for the USFL because of the need for playing time.
That may be true.

But was more interested in the $$$ the QBs are getting paid, it was rumored that XFL was paying much higher, like XFL 2.0. If $200k is the max paid, its more financially prudent.
And consistent with Garcia and Johnson's strategy compared to McMahon and Luck's. The new owners openly admitted that their predecessors overpaid for players like Matt McGloin and Cardale Jones. Plus, the caliber of players they landed this year wasn't that far below 2020: Brett Hundley, Ben DiNucci and AJ McCarron are on par with those others.

Given the circumstances right now, $20,000 a game is not terrible for a starting quarterback.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

It is good to see the XFL being reasonable with salaries, especially QBs. As Johnny said, it hasn't seemed to affect the quality of QBs they've been able to recruit.

Certain people on here were insistent that the XFL MUST be paying a boatload for QBs in order to attract them from the USFL. If this reporting is true, then that obviously is not the case. Fair to wonder why, then, so many QBs and players in general are defecting (over 60 at last count, I believe), especially now that player pay is a lot closer to even or to the USFL's advantage thanks to their CBA.

Players continue to move to the XFL, including today's signing of former Tampa Bay Bandit Obi Melifonwu by St. Louis. Is it really just the time of year the XFL playing in being more advantageous to players, or is there more to it than that?
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm It is good to see the XFL being reasonable with salaries, especially QBs. As Johnny said, it hasn't seemed to affect the quality of QBs they've been able to recruit.

Certain people on here were insistent that the XFL MUST be paying a boatload for QBs in order to attract them from the USFL. If this reporting is true, then that obviously is not the case. Fair to wonder why, then, so many QBs and players in general are defecting (over 60 at last count, I believe), especially now that player pay is a lot closer to even or to the USFL's advantage thanks to their CBA.

Players continue to move to the XFL, including today's signing of former Tampa Bay Bandit Obi Melifonwu by St. Louis. Is it really just the time of year the XFL playing in being more advantageous to players, or is there more to it than that?
with 50 x 8=400 plus USFL players at any one moment plus cuts making more. So 15% including those that were off contract due to NFL signing. Then until Dec the XFL was slightly higher salary. And following some coaches? Is that that surprising/unreasonable?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:00 pm
GregParks wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:06 pm It is good to see the XFL being reasonable with salaries, especially QBs. As Johnny said, it hasn't seemed to affect the quality of QBs they've been able to recruit.

with 50 x 8=400 plus USFL players at any one moment plus cuts making more. So 15% including those that were off contract due to NFL signing.
I dunno. Seems like a lot to me. And those "off contract" still had the option of re-signing with the USFL rather than taking the XFL deal. Many didn't.
Then until Dec the XFL was slightly higher salary.
This is irrelevant. To our knowledge, no XFL players signed contracts until they arrived at training camp in January. Even the assigned QBs/Palmer camp attendees apparently didn't, as evidenced by Steven Montez signing with the Lions. Any players drafted in November's draft or the Supplemental Draft could've gone back to the USFL with full knowledge of the new CBA and salary. And some even did!
And following some coaches? Is that that surprising/unreasonable?
Not at all. But it is funny to see you now backtrack from your "it HAS to be the money" stance to something different, one that of course has nothing to do with the health of the USFL. And to see how defensive you get when someone dare suggest that something may be amiss in the USFL, despite it losing nearly 20% of its players and 20% of its assistant coaches to the competitor, and nearly half of its head coaches voluntarily walking away prior to the start of season two. If that happened to the XFL, it'd be a five-alarm fire, they're-closing-tomorrow reaction.

Compare that to your response to something as mundane as Bryan Scott and the Vipers mutually parting ways (as was the initial story) where you absurdly throw out the unfounded idea that Scott may be "having doubts about the XFL itself." Yes, somehow a team's QB cracked the code that the XFL is dire straits despite it not being evident to anyone else in the league/covering the league!

And let me just say, I'm sure the USFL will be fine and plug along with a season two as scheduled. I don't think they're in any real danger of extinction. But I also don't think they want to be known as the place that gets the XFL's leftovers (i.e. players who don't make XFL teams).

EDIT: And FWIW, the original tweet by Chris Tomasson on this topic has been deleted.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:51 pm

with 50 x 8=400 plus USFL players at any one moment plus cuts making more. So 15% including those that were off contract due to NFL signing.
I dunno. Seems like a lot to me. And those "off contract" still had the option of re-signing with the USFL rather than taking the XFL deal. Many didn't.
This is irrelevant. To our knowledge, no XFL players signed contracts until they arrived at training camp in January. Even the assigned QBs/Palmer camp attendees apparently didn't, as evidenced by Steven Montez signing with the Lions. Any players drafted in November's draft or the Supplemental Draft could've gone back to the USFL with full knowledge of the new CBA and salary. And some even did!
Not at all. But it is funny to see you now backtrack from your "it HAS to be the money" stance to something different, one that of course has nothing to do with the health of the USFL. And to see how defensive you get when someone dare suggest that something may be amiss in the USFL, despite it losing nearly 20% of its players and 20% of its assistant coaches to the competitor, and nearly half of its head coaches voluntarily walking away prior to the start of season two. If that happened to the XFL, it'd be a five-alarm fire, they're-closing-tomorrow reaction.

Compare that to your response to something as mundane as Bryan Scott and the Vipers mutually parting ways (as was the initial story) where you absurdly throw out the unfounded idea that Scott may be "having doubts about the XFL itself." Yes, somehow a team's QB cracked the code that the XFL is dire straits despite it not being evident to anyone else in the league/covering the league!

And let me just say, I'm sure the USFL will be fine and plug along with a season two as scheduled. I don't think they're in any real danger of extinction. But I also don't think they want to be known as the place that gets the XFL's leftovers (i.e. players who don't make XFL teams).

EDIT: And FWIW, the original tweet by Chris Tomasson on this topic has been deleted.
GP

The Nov draft contract sign by date was 12/26. And I'm sure many were before that as the draft was in Mid Nov.

Many of the signees were former USFLers (ie not under contract) so they signed with XFL. I do not believe 15% is alot considering XFL has to fill 400 perm spots and is starting with over 560 in camp. Next year will be more interesting as both leagues will have fully set rosters.

USFL filling in spots with player cut from XFL camps is smart by both the player and USFL. The players will be more ready than one not in game shape.

The XFL is also saying, by signing USFL players, that the USFL had good players. With the salary increase by USFL there's very little dif between the two leagues comp wise. The XFL appears to have paid the QB spots more and did grab a few from the USFL, but USFL did keep many as well and reloaded.

My big concern is that the 2 leagues do more harm to each other and both fail. In the end it makes sense to merge and have one well funded league w/o competition in the winter/spring space.

My focus on Scott was always what MM tweeted - that he wanted to be a starter and that he got blind sided by the Hundley signing. So he may be PO'd at the league itself. Yes he knew that he needed to beat out LP. And everyone was like Scott jumped USFL to XFL and were high on that, but now he's just not good enough? Like I posted XFL news hub had him ranked #2 in league on Jan 25th. At this point its last weeks news and moot. I was hoping to see Perez first anyway or Scott, Hundley not moving the needle for me. It is what it is.

And finally if the Chris T original tweet is incorrect and XFL is paying much more than $200k, well that's costly to XFL. But who knows.

XFL starts in two weeks, we'll get to see it live. It may be a bit bumpy at first as no dry run due to weather.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:37 am

GP

The Nov draft contract sign by date was 12/26. And I'm sure many were before that as the draft was in Mid Nov.
That was not a draft contract sign-by date. That was the date players needed to tell teams whether they were reporting to camp or not. (This ITL video w/Whaley and Giglio explains it, with Giglio mentioning around 20:00 in they'll sign contracts in Jan. at training camp after their physical: Even if that WAS true, that's still 10 days AFTER news broke of the USFL CBA.
USFL filling in spots with player cut from XFL camps is smart by both the player and USFL. The players will be more ready than one not in game shape.
Smart for the player, sure. And to an extent, the USFL. But again, does the USFL want to be known as the league for players that can't make the XFL?
My focus on Scott was always what MM tweeted - that he wanted to be a starter and that he got blind sided by the Hundley signing. So he may be PO'd at the league itself.
To my knowledge, at least in the Tweets from the Scott thread, Mike never intimated Scott was "blindsided" by the Hundley signing. And if he's PO'd at the league for a team bringing in a QB they feel is better than him, then he doesn't belong in professional sports as that happens all the time (and there's no evidence Vegas OR the XFL guaranteed him a starting spot, something else you plucked out of thin air in the original thread on this topic).
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:53 am
4th&long wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:37 am

GP

That was not a draft contract sign-by date. That was the date players needed to tell teams whether they were reporting to camp or not. (This ITL video w/Whaley and Giglio explains it, with Giglio mentioning around 20:00 in they'll sign contracts in Jan. at training camp after their physical: Even if that WAS true, that's still 10 days AFTER news broke of the USFL CBA.
Smart for the player, sure. And to an extent, the USFL. But again, does the USFL want to be known as the league for players that can't make the XFL?
My focus on Scott was always what MM tweeted - that he wanted to be a starter and that he got blind sided by the Hundley signing. So he may be PO'd at the league itself.
To my knowledge, at least in the Tweets from the Scott thread, Mike never intimated Scott was "blindsided" by the Hundley signing. And if he's PO'd at the league for a team bringing in a QB they feel is better than him, then he doesn't belong in professional sports as that happens all the time (and there's no evidence Vegas OR the XFL guaranteed him a starting spot, something else you plucked out of thin air in the original thread on this topic).
The USFL is retaining a large % of its players and has over 400 players under contract now (that's their targeted size), so I don't think it risks being called a league where players who couldn't make the XFL. Its more likely that the XFL will be called the league that validated how good the USFL is by grabbing as many top players as they could.

I've posted elsewhere on the board that there s/b an abundance of players available. The 80's USFL had 18 teams in 1984 while the NFL had 28 or 46 teams. Today the 3 leagues are 48 teams. With a population that's over 40% larger in USA and Canada, I don't see it being an issue.

I've also posted, more than once in -If I were a player I'd try for the XFL first since the USFL comes 2 months later, if I get cut the USFL may pick me up. So it increases my chances of playing.

At this point the gears are in motion and its up to execution. I still think its a waste of resources and potentially harmful to have two spring league at sometime as it could cause both to go under... but this also is moot as the two leagues are primed to go. Hopefully they end up working together.