THIS OUGHTA BE GOOD

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

THIS OUGHTA BE GOOD

Post by MGB01 »

The Arena League is back (they even went all Jordan, attempts which will go down in history next to BRONCOS COUNTRY, LET'S RIDE no doubt ;) )

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aren ... n-in-2019/

Well a certain poster on ArenaFan's finally getting his wish. We'll just ignore that there's actually more teams from the first two versions in the NAL (even though the Preds are in name only) and IFL than what they think they're going to come up with, but ok. While the 16 teams is something I prefer as opposed to the monotonous eight, ok now who and where?

And if you think XFL marketing is horrible (it leaves something to be desired at best but at least the XFL logo was displayed during the Royal Rumble), Gene Simmons was on CSI the week the Kiss debuted in 2014 and no mention of the Kiss or the Arena League. Good luck to these guys and their upcoming earthshattering deal with the rebranded CW.
4th&long
MVP

Re: THIS OUGHTA BE GOOD

Post by 4th&long »

Now that you mention CW - They are independent now and do seem to be looking for live sport programming. How much money they have and where it goes... well... but just another player.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

We had discussed Netflix getting into live sports, Nexstar is the majority owner of CW (when LIV negotiated their deal it raised some eyebrows cause of CBS but Paramount only has a minority stake after the Nexstar acquisition last year) so this is the way for now.

Not that they'll necessarily have a deal with CW but numbers-wise, who's left?
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Dope. Come to Austin.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Bringing back the Wranglers wouldn't be a bad idea, you might get some people who see Wranglers and arenaball and ask 'Wasn't that the team who did the TO stunt?' (different league altogether and said team hopped leagues and rebranded a few times before folding anyway), but the league's height was unquestionably in the mid 2000s, wouldn't hurt.

The IFL knew the same when they snatched up the Colorado Crush trademark. Only problem was the owner was terminal then Fanchise killed it.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Yeah, I'm not buying this.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

At least i have CW.....as does everybody. But I'm not sure about 16. You had some places where it was a success. Mostly though....it was a vagabond existence for many.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

I'll believe it when I see it. Hard to fathom having 16 teams in Year 1 without ransacking the NAL/IFL.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Why do I get the same vibe from this league's key figures that I get out of all these leagues that get as far as open tryouts before abruptly shutting down during or before training camp?

I mean, they did the classic publicity-stunt contract offer to Tom Brady already.

And they're also claiming to have the first black commissioner of a pro sports league in America. Which isn't even true, that was the UFL's Michael Huyghue. And judging by that and its inaugural leadership staff... this feels a lot like the old Freedom Football League, except without the all-stars.

Leagues that make an open example of their Blackness tend not to have a great record. At least not since the Negro leagues disbanded.