Vipers part ways with Bryan Scott, set to sign Brett Hundley

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Vipers part ways with Bryan Scott, set to sign Brett Hundley

Post by GDAWG »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he goes back to the USFL, because there are teams there that need to finish their QB rooms.
MarkNelson
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MarkNelson »

Bryan Scott rumors, and "who knew what" discussion aside, the football starts in about 2 1/2 weeks. That's it for me. That's all I need to know.

Greg Parks astutely pointed out somewhere in in here how there are way more QBs than there are starting positions. I think about Luis Perez who was picked as a starter in 2020, was traded, ended up third string, and then wowed everyone when he got his start. Someone read that story to Bryan Scott.
XFLBoard https://xflboard.com/news/author/mnelson/
XFLXtra https://xflboard.com/xfl-xtra/
Author: “XFL 2020: Rise and Fall” https://xfl2020book.com
Coming soon: “XFL 2023: Rise”
Favourite Leagues: XFL and CFL | Fan of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:19 pm Bryan Scott rumors, and "who knew what" discussion aside, the football starts in about 2 1/2 weeks. That's it for me. That's all I need to know.

Greg Parks astutely pointed out somewhere in in here how there are way more QBs than there are starting positions. I think about Luis Perez who was picked as a starter in 2020, was traded, ended up third string, and then wowed everyone when he got his start. Someone read that story to Bryan Scott.
The problem is that Scott had basically been demoted to fourth string. Behind Perez, Hundley, and former LA Wildcats third-stringer Jalan McClendon. Meaning one of the four was going to get cut. There are eight teams in the XFL and personnel decisions are managed by the central offices, so the assignment of Hundley to Vegas was no random accident.

That tells me one or two things: 1, Scott felt like he had a better shot of getting more playing time in the USFL (plausible), and/or 2, he really had a horrible training camp.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

I'm reminded of the old story of Jim "King" Corcoran, a man who in the late 1960s would play in any rinky-dink minor league just to have the pleasure of saying he was a starting quarterback. He would turn down backup gigs in the NFL and CFL to play for teams like the Pottstown Firebirds and the Waterbury Orbits. He eventually ended his career in the WFL.

Maybe Bryan Scott is that kind of guy.