Latest XFL Head Coaching Clues Provided By Oliver Luck

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Latest XFL Head Coaching Clues Provided By Oliver Luck

Post by MikeMitchell »

I just finished listening to Oliver Luck's latest interview on The Sean Salisbury show SportsTalk790 in Houston. This appearance took place on Tuesday.

At the end of the 20 minute plus interview, Oliver once again teased who the XFL's "already signed" head coaches are going to be. There are two new lines Luck added, that sparked my interest. It came after Salisbury asked Luck "How did you decide on the coaches?"

Luck once again, used the term former NFL and Major College Program Head Coaches, but this time. He threw this first new line in. "Former NFL Head Coaches, some of whom left assistant coaching jobs to do this".....

I have been trying to rack my brain as to who this could be referring to. Unless it's someone on a current staff that is about to announce that they are leaving their assistant position for the XFL like a Leslie Frazier or Tom Cable. My guesses are Marty Mornhinweg and Joe Philbin. Marty was stripped of his Ravens OC duties, which were handed to Greg Roman. He was offered the opportunity to stay on the staff, but he decided to leave Baltimore instead. Was Marty leaving the Ravens to be a head coach/gm in the XFL?..... Joe Philbin was the interim coach for Green Bay this past season when Mike McCarthy got fired. Philbin was reportedly in consideration to stay on Matt LaFleur's staff but turned it down. Could these two men be headed to the XFL? Two other coaches that come to mind but don't fit "the leaving assistant jobs to do this", are Scott Linehan and Jim Haslett. I am not sure if Haslett is going to be a part of Cincy's staff next season. Linehan was born and raised in Seattle. He and Dallas "mutually parted ways" after the Cowboys playoff loss to The Rams. I wouldn't rule out Linehan as a possibility for the XFL.

The second new line was "other guys who have been coordinators". That's a wide open statement, so the thought here is that the league will have a couple of head coaches who do not have head coaching experience in college or the pros.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: Latest XFL Head Coaching Clues Provided By Oliver Luck

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm I just finished listening to Oliver Luck's latest interview on The Sean Salisbury show SportsTalk790 in Houston. This appearance took place on Tuesday.

At the end of the 20 minute plus interview, Oliver once again teased who the XFL's "already signed" head coaches are going to be. There are two new lines Luck added, that sparked my interest. It came after Salisbury asked Luck "How did you decide on the coaches?"

Luck once again, used the term former NFL and Major College Program Head Coaches, but this time. He threw this first new line in. "Former NFL Head Coaches, some of whom left assistant coaching jobs to do this".....

I have been trying to rack my brain as to who this could be referring to. Unless it's someone on a current staff that is about to announce that they are leaving their assistant position for the XFL like a Leslie Frazier or Tom Cable. My guesses are Marty Mornhinweg and Joe Philbin. Marty was stripped of his Ravens OC duties, which were handed to Greg Roman. He was offered the opportunity to stay on the staff, but he decided to leave Baltimore instead. Was Marty leaving the Ravens to be a head coach/gm in the XFL?..... Joe Philbin was the interim coach for Green Bay this past season when Mike McCarthy got fired. Philbin was reportedly in consideration to stay on Matt LaFleur's staff but turned it down. Could these two men be headed to the XFL? Two other coaches that come to mind but don't fit "the leaving assistant jobs to do this", are Scott Linehan and Jim Haslett. I am not sure if Haslett is going to be a part of Cincy's staff next season. Linehan was born and raised in Seattle. He and Dallas "mutually parted ways" after the Cowboys playoff loss to The Rams. I wouldn't rule out Linehan as a possibility for the XFL.

The second new line was "other guys who have been coordinators". That's a wide open statement, so the thought here is that the league will have a couple of head coaches who do not have head coaching experience in college or the pros.

That's pretty interesting that someone is willing to take less pay to go head coach in the XFL. I think that only a older coordinator would do this, a person where money doesn't matter as much and they just want to have fun. Philbin would make sense in that regard. It will be interesting to see who they hire. I'm sure once again there will be a "leak" before the real announcement like all the other times the XFL has announced something.
Ready for the team reveals...again
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm "Former NFL Head Coaches, some of whom left assistant coaching jobs to do this".....

That's pretty interesting that someone is willing to take less pay to go head coach in the XFL. I think that only a older coordinator would do this, a person where money doesn't matter as much and they just want to have fun. Philbin would make sense in that regard. It will be interesting to see who they hire. I'm sure once again there will be a "leak" before the real announcement like all the other times the XFL has announced something.
There are a handful of former NFL head coaches who were just assistants on NFL staffs in 2018.

Like I mentioned, Mornhinweg, Philbin, Linehan and Haslett are currently not on any NFL staffs.

Want a potential shocker? I listened to Luck on Boomer and Gio last week. Boomer mentioned how some coaches left the AAF because their jobs weren’t what they were promised.

Imagine Brad Childress taking an XFL job? He fits the former NFL head coach criteria. I am not sure if he can do it contractually but that would be the first shot fired in this potential XFL-AAF spring league war.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:10 am
XFL_FAN wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 am
MikeMitchell wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm "Former NFL Head Coaches, some of whom left assistant coaching jobs to do this".....

There are a handful of former NFL head coaches who were just assistants on NFL staffs in 2018.

Like I mentioned, Mornhinweg, Philbin, Linehan and Haslett are currently not on any NFL staffs.

Want a potential shocker? I listened to Luck on Boomer and Gio last week. Boomer mentioned how some coaches left the AAF because their jobs weren’t what they were promised.

Imagine Brad Childress taking an XFL job? He fits the former NFL head coach criteria. I am not sure if he can do it contractually but that would be the first shot fired in this potential XFL-AAF spring league war.
If that happened that would be "The Shot Heard Round the World" in the war of spring football. Childress switching sides? I doubt that, but if it does happen that would be awesome.
Dome Head
Kicker

Post by Dome Head »

Without this thread I had thought of Haslett as an option. The name has familiarity in STL as he was an interim here for a minute.

He also took a Head Coach role on one of these spring leagues like a decade ago. I forgot the name. So that experience is there too.

Please lord don't tell me STL XFL is going to have Linehan as a head coach.
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Dome Head wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm Without this thread I had thought of Haslett as an option. The name has familiarity in STL as he was an interim here for a minute.

He also took a Head Coach role on one of these spring leagues like a decade ago. I forgot the name. So that experience is there too.

Haslett is one of those former NFL head coaches who has alternate pro football league experience. He coached in The World League(Pre-NFL Europe) and was recently Head Coach of the Florida Tuskers in The United Football League. So he’s definitely the kind of coach who would entertain a non nfl job.

Linehan seems like a possibility for Seattle, based on being born and raised there.

These are not sexy choices by any means but for upstart leagues, attracting former NFL head coaches is not an easy sell. Coaches like Linehan and Mornhinweg were technically not fired. In Marty’s case, The Ravens pleaded with him to stay on their staff.

Upstart league’s usually settle on the retread route. It’s usually coaches who have not been offered head coaching jobs in a long while and are not interested in the grind of college football. If you look closely at the AAF hires, their coaches fit the same criteria. Mike Martz hadn’t coached on an NFL staff since 2012. Erickson, Riley, Neuheisel etc, these guys were not on any head coaching interview lists. The old ball coach came out of a self imposed retirement and wasn’t going to get a sniff from NFL teams. Mike Singletary washed out as an NFL head coach and bounced around teams as an assistant.

As a former pro football head coach. You take these jobs because you want to be a head coach again and the window has closed on you in the pros or in college. Steve Marriucci fits this bill because he hasn’t been on the head coaching radar since 2012, when he tried to get an interview with The Chargers.
Andibald
Head Coach

Post by Andibald »

Dallas coach will be announced tomorrow per twitter!

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1093225604441346050
It's gettin' hot in here...and we about to burn 'em up!

Looks like the 2020 XFL champion may be 2-3 seconds short of playing a full season :?
XtremeFanForever
Coach

Post by XtremeFanForever »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:47 pm
Dome Head wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm Without this thread I had thought of Haslett as an option. The name has familiarity in STL as he was an interim here for a minute.

Haslett is one of those former NFL head coaches who has alternate pro football league experience. He coached in The World League(Pre-NFL Europe) and was recently Head Coach of the Florida Tuskers in The United Football League. So he’s definitely the kind of coach who would entertain a non nfl job.

Linehan seems like a possibility for Seattle, based on being born and raised there.

These are not sexy choices by any means but for upstart leagues, attracting former NFL head coaches is not an easy sell. Coaches like Linehan and Mornhinweg were technically not fired. In Marty’s case, The Ravens pleaded with him to stay on their staff.

Upstart league’s usually settle on the retread route. It’s usually coaches who have not been offered head coaching jobs in a long while and are not interested in the grind of college football. If you look closely at the AAF hires, their coaches fit the same criteria. Mike Martz hadn’t coached on an NFL staff since 2012. Erickson, Riley, Neuheisel etc, these guys were not on any head coaching interview lists. The old ball coach came out of a self imposed retirement and wasn’t going to get a sniff from NFL teams. Mike Singletary washed out as an NFL head coach and bounced around teams as an assistant.

As a former pro football head coach. You take these jobs because you want to be a head coach again and the window has closed on you in the pros or in college. Steve Marriucci fits this bill because he hasn’t been on the head coaching radar since 2012, when he tried to get an interview with The Chargers.

I was kinda hoping to see some fresh faces in the XFL even if it meant hiring some complete unknowns. My view is that I'd prefer to see guys you could identify has "XFL Coach John Doe" and not "NFL hasbeen John Doe".

But, what you're saying makes sense. I guess for now the priority needs to be establishing credibility, which means hiring guys fans have heard of and who have experience running large organizations. I just hope this first wave of head coaches helps develop the next generation of XFL head coaches and the league isn't stuck in an endless cycle of looking around for NFL washouts all the time.
RIP Xtreme; forever champions

RIP Wildcats; forever 2-3
MikeMitchell
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell »

Andibald wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 pm Dallas coach will be announced tomorrow per twitter!

That’s major news. The first hire has to be someone big.
XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN »

MikeMitchell wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:05 pm
Andibald wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 pm Dallas coach will be announced tomorrow per twitter!

That’s major news. The first hire has to be someone big.
It's gotta be Stoops right :?: