XFL expansion

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL expansion

Post by GregParks »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:35 pm The counter point, of course, being Seattle in 2020. I think there are a few different models of markets that can work. St. Louis/San Antonio is one model. DC is another (small downtown stadium that's easy to fill).
I definitely like the DC model in terms of the stadium: We've talked about the atmosphere of 20,000 people in a smaller stadium versus 20,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium. I think it comes across better live and on TV. So if you could find places like that in NFL cities, I'd be all for it.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The USFL is actually giving the Seattle model a go in the USFL. It will be interesting to see if that works -- I'm inclined to think it will.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:41 pm
Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:35 pm The counter point, of course, being Seattle in 2020. I think there are a few different models of markets that can work. St. Louis/San Antonio is one model. DC is another (small downtown stadium that's easy to fill).
I definitely like the DC model in terms of the stadium: We've talked about the atmosphere of 20,000 people in a smaller stadium versus 20,000 in a 60,000 seat stadium. I think it comes across better live and on TV. So if you could find places like that in NFL cities, I'd be all for it.
Quite a few of them in the MLS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:09 pm
Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 am
GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:25 am Neither Oklahoma City or Milwaukee have stadiums, which has been why they are never mentioned as alt football destinations.
Uhhh, have you seen where the Vipers are playing? Milwaukee and Oklahoma City don't have anything comparable to that?
Oklahoma City yes (Taft Stadium), Milwaukee No. However, Oklahoma City has plans for a new stadium in a few years, so OKC will be an option that gets considered. Milwaukee has nowhere at all. Now there are plans on an 8,000 stadium for Milwaukee, but they will be too busy to even consider hosting football as they will host the soccer and lacrosse teams for Marquette University to go along with a USL Soccer team for Milwaukee. So if that is the case, Milwaukee is not going to happen ever.

Taft Stadium has similar field issues to Cashman Field (which is why the USL Championship OKC Energy FC has gone on hiatus) and I would guess that the XFL doesn't want to deal with that again.
Bob Stoops is literally a head coach in the XFL. Why don't you think the league could make a deal with OU's stadium? And I think OKC would be a great attended market because there's only one major league team there, the area and school loves football, and the market hasn't been burned out with several failed alt league teams in the past.

Miller Park/American Family Field in Milwaukee has played host to three international friendly soccer matches. I don't know if they would like a full-time football/soccer team playing there, but if the "majestic" Yankee Stadium can share a stadium during the same time frame with an MLS team, then nothing's too good for Milwaukee.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Lone Star wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:50 pm

Uhhh, have you seen where the Vipers are playing? Milwaukee and Oklahoma City don't have anything comparable to that?
Oklahoma City yes (Taft Stadium), Milwaukee No. However, Oklahoma City has plans for a new stadium in a few years, so OKC will be an option that gets considered. Milwaukee has nowhere at all. Now there are plans on an 8,000 stadium for Milwaukee, but they will be too busy to even consider hosting football as they will host the soccer and lacrosse teams for Marquette University to go along with a USL Soccer team for Milwaukee. So if that is the case, Milwaukee is not going to happen ever.

Taft Stadium has similar field issues to Cashman Field (which is why the USL Championship OKC Energy FC has gone on hiatus) and I would guess that the XFL doesn't want to deal with that again.
Bob Stoops is literally a head coach in the XFL. Why don't you think the league could make a deal with OU's stadium? And I think OKC would be a great attended market because there's only one major league team there, the area and school loves football, and the market hasn't been burned out with several failed alt league teams in the past.

Miller Park/American Family Field in Milwaukee has played host to three international friendly soccer matches. I don't know if they would like a full-time football/soccer team playing there, but if the "majestic" Yankee Stadium can share a stadium during the same time frame with an MLS team, then nothing's too good for Milwaukee.
There was back-and-forth between the two at the beginning (mainly from Mark Teixiera), so it wasn't all harmonic.
And YES owns 1/5 of NYCFC so they quashed that rather quickly, you would need Mark Attansio or maybe Giannis to buy in so you remove the "interloper" label as well as similar sniping.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Lone Star wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:50 pm

I think that OU's Stadium is way too big for the XFL. The XFL needs to go for MLS sized stadiums like they have done with DC. OU has an 80,000 seat stadium, and having 12,000 people in an 80,000 seat stadium looks really bad. It is why I don't want any future Austin team playing at the University of Texas.

The last thing the XFL needs is to place a team in an active Major League Baseball Stadium, so it should not be American Family Field. New York City FC is moving out of Yankee Stadium in a few years. I am not a fan of football being played in active baseball stadiums.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:24 pm Quite a few of them in the MLS:

When you narrow it to soccer specific stadium + NFL city + inside the city's core, the list is a lot shorter. FC Cincinnati and LAFC, maybe?

But I do think more broadly, there's a lot of room to run here. There's an entire fleet of perfectly sized XFL stadiums being built for MLS teams across the country.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:05 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:24 pm Quite a few of them in the MLS:

When you narrow it to soccer specific stadium + NFL city + inside the city's core, the list is a lot shorter. FC Cincinnati and LAFC, maybe?

But I do think more broadly, there's a lot of room to run here. There's an entire fleet of perfectly sized XFL stadiums being built for MLS teams across the country.
My prediction is that when the USFL gets to their own markets, I can see the Gamblers moving to Austin and trying to see if they can play at the MLS Stadium there.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:09 pm My prediction is that when the USFL gets to their own markets, I can see the Gamblers moving to Austin and trying to see if they can play at the MLS Stadium there.
I hope you're right. Austin's going to crush it for somebody.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:14 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:09 pm My prediction is that when the USFL gets to their own markets, I can see the Gamblers moving to Austin and trying to see if they can play at the MLS Stadium there.
I hope you're right. Austin's going to crush it for somebody.
I am quite skeptical that Houston can sustain two Alt League football teams, which is why I got the Gamblers moving to Austin.