XFL expansion

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL expansion

Post by Tank55 »

Just because you think the XFL's existence will be finite doesn't mean you can't enjoy it while it's here.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 am
GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:25 am Neither Oklahoma City or Milwaukee have stadiums, which has been why they are never mentioned as alt football destinations.
Uhhh, have you seen where the Vipers are playing? Milwaukee and Oklahoma City don't have anything comparable to that?
Oklahoma City yes (Taft Stadium), Milwaukee No. However, Oklahoma City has plans for a new stadium in a few years, so OKC will be an option that gets considered. Milwaukee has nowhere at all. Now there are plans on an 8,000 stadium for Milwaukee, but they will be too busy to even consider hosting football as they will host the soccer and lacrosse teams for Marquette University to go along with a USL Soccer team for Milwaukee. So if that is the case, Milwaukee is not going to happen ever.

Taft Stadium has similar field issues to Cashman Field (which is why the USL Championship OKC Energy FC has gone on hiatus) and I would guess that the XFL doesn't want to deal with that again.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I thought play in an abandoned minor league baseball stadium was a low for the XFL, but getting boxed out of a USL stadium by Marquette's lacrosse team would probably top that.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:47 pm I thought play in an abandoned minor league baseball stadium was a low for the XFL, but getting boxed out of a USL stadium by Marquette's lacrosse team would probably top that.
If they get boxed out, there would be no options for Milwaukee at all. It's a market I would not touch because of lack of venues. There are other Midwestern Cities that make better alt football options: The Twin Cities, Chicago and Indianapolis because they would have the venues for football that Milwaukee doesn't have.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:09 pm
Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:22 am
GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:25 am Neither Oklahoma City or Milwaukee have stadiums, which has been why they are never mentioned as alt football destinations.
Uhhh, have you seen where the Vipers are playing? Milwaukee and Oklahoma City don't have anything comparable to that?
Oklahoma City yes (Taft Stadium), Milwaukee No. However, Oklahoma City has plans for a new stadium in a few years, so OKC will be an option that gets considered. Milwaukee has nowhere at all. Now there are plans on an 8,000 stadium for Milwaukee, but they will be too busy to even consider hosting football as they will host the soccer and lacrosse teams for Marquette University to go along with a USL Soccer team for Milwaukee. So if that is the case, Milwaukee is not going to happen ever.

Taft Stadium has similar field issues to Cashman Field (which is why the USL Championship OKC Energy FC has gone on hiatus) and I would guess that the XFL doesn't want to deal with that again.
Reminds me of the late Albi Stadium (which was finally put out of its misery last year), once part time home of Wazzu and EWU as well as other leagues (on an occasional basis) before that. Stadium had tons of playing issues, resulting in the USL2 Shadow packing up, and the last remaining tenants, the Greater Spokane League, all split up to either their own fields, a new 4500 seat stadium at my old middle school, or the new downtown stadium this fall that will also host a USL1 team next year.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:55 pm Chicago
Are you trolling me
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:16 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:55 pm Chicago
Are you trolling me
Not serious with Chicago, but Twin Cities and Indy are better options than Milwaukee, unless one of these leagues wants to have Milwaukee play at the University of Wisconsin, which is 75 minutes away from Milwaukee

My idea with Chicago has always been for an alternative football league to test the market. For the XFL, if they ever decide on neutral site games, try Chicago out for one game to see if it can work. Same goes for the USFL. If it doesn't work, you've only wasted one game and no harm no foul. If one Chicago game works, then try two games in Chicago and so on and so forth.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I seem to remember the XFL2 getting good viewing numbers from Ohio despite having no team. So duh. Might be worth looking at.
Another vote for San Diego.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Sounder wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:26 pm I seem to remember the XFL2 getting good viewing numbers from Ohio despite having no team. So duh. Might be worth looking at.
Another vote for San Diego.
Yeah I'd certainly take local TV ratings into consideration, as well as places that don't have NFL teams. I don't think it's a coincidence St. Louis and San Antonio will be the best-drawing franchises in the XFL and they don't have an NFL team (Orlando notwithstanding). Trouble is NFL cities tend to be the most highly-populated cities, and the more people in the city the better chance you have of drawing people to the games (in theory).
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

The counter point, of course, being Seattle in 2020. I think there are a few different models of markets that can work. St. Louis/San Antonio is one model. DC is another (small downtown stadium that's easy to fill).

Seattle should be another as well, although Week 2 didn't inspire a ton of confidence. Might help if they ever win a game.