XFL expansion

XFL Football discussion.
Arlo99
Linebacker

XFL expansion

Post by Arlo99 »

Which city's would be your guess to get new teams within next few years. If I had to guess

Chicago
Nashville
Portable
San Diego

What city's do you think are next?
Lone Star
Running Back

Re: XFL expansion

Post by Lone Star »

Arlo99 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:22 am Portable
The XFL already has a portable team in Vegas. Or should I say, the future Omaha Nighthawks! 8-)
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I know the XFL already is overloaded in Texas, but an Austin team would sell out every game at Q2 stadium.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Portland, Oregon a natural rival to Seattle.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Lone Star wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 am
The XFL already has a portable team in Vegas. Or should I say, the future Omaha Nighthawks! 8-)
Not for a few years. They have a multi-year deal with Cashman Field, which could mean as little as 2 years.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:05 pm
Lone Star wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:25 am
Not for a few years. They have a multi-year deal with Cashman Field, which could mean as little as 2 years.
That was the second-most cynical comment I could have made. My first instinct was to worry about the league actually making it through Season 1.

Also, I don't post here enough to know if this idealogy is blasphemous, but I would want a merger of XFL/USFL featuring at least the Roughnecks, Sea Dragons, Battlehawks, and Defenders. My choice of the Defenders is subject to change to whoever draws better between Dallas, SATX, and Orlando.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

The classic newbie thread topic.

It's been discussed ad nauseum already, the speculation is pointless, and as long as the USFL is in the way, there's going to be a pretty firm ceiling on how much expansion can even be done.
IM4TheBattleHawks
Rookie

Post by IM4TheBattleHawks »

I'd like to see teams in San Diego, Portland, Mexico (Cancun), maybe Louisville.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

You want expansion? One word, merger. Cause that's the only way either league is gonna be a thing.

Seriously, this is the seventh straight eight-team-or-less league setting up shop. Forget the QBX vid, this is what makes people on the whole look it at it as the glorified 33rd-40th practice squads. But get it to 16 (or at least 12) if you wanna make a jump. And then there's the whole matter of the money involved and the infrastructure needed, neither are exactly minor.

Right now though, that shouldn't even be in anybody's wheelhouse.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MGB01 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:05 pm You want expansion? One word, merger. Cause that's the only way either league is gonna be a thing.

Seriously, this is the seventh straight eight-team-or-less league setting up shop. Forget the QBX vid, this is what makes people on the whole look it at it as the glorified 33rd-40th practice squads. But get it to 16 (or at least 12) if you wanna make a jump. And then there's the whole matter of the money involved and the infrastructure needed, neither are exactly minor.

Right now though, that shouldn't even be in anybody's wheelhouse.
But really, they're going to be seen as the 33rd through whatever no matter how many teams there are. Let's face it, it would take a miracle to get to the point where any other league's best could even beat the NFL's worst.

Then there's a crucial point of the more teams you have, the further stretched the talent is going to be. How many offensive linemen are out on the free agent market right now?

I know I'm a bit of a contrarian on this, but as far as having a high level of talent, the smaller the league, the better. Expansion teams are only good for expansion fees, and in a single entity league, that's out the window. You could argue that getting into certain media markets would be a benefit by increasing in-person fans, but that can be done by judiciously choosing the right markets without adding an expansion team that will take a while to get to full speed.