Falcons reach out to Sea Dragons' Haslett for DC

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Falcons reach out to Sea Dragons' Haslett for DC

Post by GDAWG »

Haslett and Arthur Smith were on the same staff with the Titans, so this make sense that the Falcons would be interested.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:09 pm
herns wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 am
johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:41 pm That's literally what a contract does. This isn't college.

If Haslett is under contract, he's obligated until he's either fired or the contract expired.
Depending, we don’t know the details of it. There maybe an out for if an NFL team calls. Luckily Seattle could likely withstand losing him since they have June Jones
Jones is 69 years old and should spend time with his grandkids, Enjoy his sunset years instead of running a football team. Seattle should find a younger replacement instead of using a rethread
There’s only a few spring football staples I’d want to see leagues hire that aren’t currently HCs, Jones is #1 (followed by Hal Mumme) on the list and I still find the fact they didn’t give him the roughnecks back wild as he was the best coach in 2020.
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

It's too late in the process. If he does accept it, (and he should because it might lead to another shot at an NFL head gig)....he needs to fulfill his XFL commitment first.....just my thought.
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

Sounder wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:21 am It's too late in the process. If he does accept it, (and he should because it might lead to another shot at an NFL head gig)....he needs to fulfill his XFL commitment first.....just my thought.
I think there would be too much to do, even as a DC, to be able to fulfill his XFL commitment first.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounder wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:21 am It's too late in the process. If he does accept it, (and he should because it might lead to another shot at an NFL head gig)....he needs to fulfill his XFL commitment first.....just my thought.
Haslett is 67, the only way he's getting an NFL head coaching gig again is on an interim basis--and even on a "non-interim", see Lovie Smith--one-and-done with crappy ownership who is low-key looking to sell the team.

The only three "seniors" that if they were all the sudden available would have new teams tomorrow are Belichick, Carroll, and Reid. And the only others out of the booth/studio from the time Haslett was last HC would be Dungy and Cowher.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

At the Sea Dragons fan event on Monday, Haslett said something to the effect that his wife would kill him if he took another NFL coaching job. So maybe that'll put this rumor to bed.
@gregmparks
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Officially put this to bed, Falcons hired Ryan Nielsen (Saints DL coach/co-DC)