XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Nfl alumni academy partnership possibly ending

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:59 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:43 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:40 pm

Spurrier basically said he took the job for fun and wasn't really hands on in the organization. He seemed pretty indifferent on the AAF demise. Ditto for Mike Martz as well. Money is not an issue for Redbird, let's wait until official word from the NFLAA before jumping to conclusions
Money is ALWAYS an issue.
It is. Kind of like when Brian Woods (TSL) absolutely SCREWED an Indianapolis hotel out of a million dollars. Has that ever been paid? At the time you called that a nothing burger, but now you think this is a big deal. Come on.
TSL was BW's and defunct at that point. TSL is not the USFL (Fox owned). XFL hasn't played a down. On surface similar in reality totally diff.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:00 pm
MGB01 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:51 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:42 pm

NO, i'm talking about your last post. I'm saying major players in CFB and NFL got hoodwinked by AAF, it can happen to XFL coaches too. Is Rod Woodson or Hines Ward smarter than Steve Spurrier? Mike Martz? Rick neuheisel, Mike Riley? All Pro Mike Singletary?
It can happen.
So answer the question: is RBC Reggie Fowler? He was (supposed to be) the money.
You're conflating.

Is RBC willing to lose money for 3-5 years ? That's the real question. Things can change. Just like 2020 and 2001.

We'll see if NFL-AA is a money issue, PR issue or BS. But imo, as I've said before, is not the white knight with a blank check IMO.
Fine. I'm conflating, you're back@$$ing (you go from "Oh I know this happened to "Well it may be BS"). Call it even?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:28 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:59 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:43 pm
Money is ALWAYS an issue.
It is. Kind of like when Brian Woods (TSL) absolutely SCREWED an Indianapolis hotel out of a million dollars. Has that ever been paid? At the time you called that a nothing burger, but now you think this is a big deal. Come on.
TSL was BW's and defunct at that point. TSL is not the USFL (Fox owned). XFL hasn't played a down. On surface similar in reality totally diff.
And yet the USFL, which has yet to spend any real money, rose from TSL (why else does Woods, and arguably his brother, have a job with them?). How's that for reality?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

If Mike Mitchell says it's nothing, then I 100% believe what Mike says.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:24 pm If Mike Mitchell says it's nothing, then I 100% believe what Mike says.
I wouldn't exactly call it nothing since there's definitely been a change at least since the draft, maybe the AA wanting to get involved with the USFL (thus the shift in tone) who knows, but is it what it was supposedly seven or eight hours ago? trending towards a huge no.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

MGB01 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:43 am
GDAWG wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:24 pm If Mike Mitchell says it's nothing, then I 100% believe what Mike says.
I wouldn't exactly call it nothing since there's definitely been a change at least since the draft, maybe the AA wanting to get involved with the USFL (thus the shift in tone) who knows, but is it what it was supposedly seven or eight hours ago? trending towards a huge no.
Still though I tend to believe what he says is more likely the truth.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:00 am
Mike gets his info from the league, they won't say anything negative, at this point certainly.

>>Mike Mitchell@ByMikeMitchell
Replying to @duckydisguised
and @BillLeeds
Hey Ducky. What are we talking about here? As always I am just relaying what I am hearing from sufficient sources. None of this has to do with funding or failure of money to exchange hands. Future funding maybe because AA was hopeful that more graduates would get into the XFL.
11:39 PM · Dec 6, 2022 <<

It could just be that XFL is just pulling back on their player commitment with the NFL-AA. The issue there is NFL-AA (Like HUB or early TSL) charges players a fee, now that fee comes with expectations of an XFL contract. So players/clients may have signed up for that reason and now they are unhappy as they were promised a contract and didn't get one. Since that was likely a selling point for the NFL-AA its no wonder clients are Pissed.

So whether its finances or rosters its a bad situation for NFL-AA and XFL.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:09 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:00 am

Mike gets his info from the league, they won't say anything negative, at this point certainly.

>>Mike Mitchell@ByMikeMitchell
Replying to @duckydisguised
and @BillLeeds
Hey Ducky. What are we talking about here? As always I am just relaying what I am hearing from sufficient sources. None of this has to do with funding or failure of money to exchange hands. Future funding maybe because AA was hopeful that more graduates would get into the XFL.
11:39 PM · Dec 6, 2022 <<

It could just be that XFL is just pulling back on their player commitment with the NFL-AA. The issue there is NFL-AA (Like HUB or early TSL) charges players a fee, now that fee comes with expectations of an XFL contract. So players/clients may have signed up for that reason and now they are unhappy as they were promised a contract and didn't get one. Since that was likely a selling point for the NFL-AA its no wonder clients are Pissed.

So whether its finances or rosters its a bad situation for NFL-AA and XFL.
This certainly seems like a much more logical explanation than hey look the XFL is going to have financial issues and angling everything towards that narrative. Or is it just smoke to steal the hype from their uniform reveal today? Don’t forget that angle!
Seriously, I think it’s time to admit that the XFL is going to happen and the sky is not falling with every piece of information that comes along. Have they done a great job with news - no. They have left themselves open to criticism - yes. Just because they haven’t made public how much money they are committing or got paid (if any), doesn’t mean they aren’t committed. It’s nobody’s business to know, especially the USFL’s. In competition it’s smart to keep certain things quiet.
LV has been handled poorly, no question, but I don’t think it’s just a matter of money. If it was, they simply would have went to a lower cost alternative months ago. They wouldn’t be holding the whole thing up now if they knew it wasn’t happening based off a price tag. Do they think Allegiant is going to feel sorry for them and give them a half price discount the closer they get to kickoff? No, it’s the opposite, the XFL loses leverage with each passing day. There is more to this story, and again, we don’t have all the details.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

The Markcast had a good discussion on this today. Without knowing any inside information (though it sounds like Reid may have talked to some people and certainly Mike Mitchell for background), I tend to agree with a lot of the conclusions drawn here:

@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:33 pm The Markcast had a good discussion on this today. Without knowing any inside information (though it sounds like Reid may have talked to some people and certainly Mike Mitchell for background), I tend to agree with a lot of the conclusions drawn here:

Listened to this too. Agree with many things said as well. Like XFL used affiliation with NFL-AA as a primary way to promote their affiliation with the NFL (which was BS anyway as NFL-AA is not the NFL). And while its likely a check didn't bounce - it does look like money that was anticipated from the deal due NFL-AA by XFL is the issue. And whether its a check or expected payment it appears the NFL-AA will not be paid what they expected from the XFL hence the issue. And yes, that's a financing issue.

Like I said (and Reid came to same conclusion early too) the promise they made to the NFL-AA and touted numerous times never sounded wise to me. Now they have to own it. Other vendors will be watching.

Major outlays will be starting come Jan when camp opens.