Where is the schedule?

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Where is the schedule?

Post by Tank55 »

The AAF and XFL 2020 released their schedules in mid October.

It's now December. We're in Christmas shopping season. We're well within that four month marketing window.

This is bad. And every day that goes by makes it worse.

I'm imagining that they're just waiting on the ink being dry on a venue in Vegas to nail everything down. They need to swallow their pride and cut bait. House them in Arlington, try again in 2024. It's lame and dumb and everything I hate about the USFL, in addition to the embarrassment of having to backtrack, but there are seven other markets to worry about. Everyone is suffering until a schedule is out.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Where is the schedule?

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:18 pm The AAF and XFL 2020 released their schedules in mid October.

It's now December. We're in Christmas shopping season. We're well within that four month marketing window.

I'm imagining that they're just waiting on the ink being dry on a venue in Vegas to nail everything down. They need to swallow their pride and cut bait. House them in Arlington, try again in 2024. It's lame and dumb and everything I hate about the USFL, in addition to the embarrassment of having to backtrack, but there are seven other markets to worry about. Everyone is suffering until a schedule is out.
Las Vegas is something that Red Bird Capital has been pushing for, so that is not going away.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:18 pm The AAF and XFL 2020 released their schedules in mid October.

Yes it is kind of lame, even looking at the USFL as any point of comparison is seeing that 1)they're different timeframes entirely and the USFL effectively ran as an enhanced TSL2.0.

Gotta aim at least somewhere above water.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

As long as a heavy marketing push comes with the schedule I think they’ll be fine doing it late, I bet you’re right that Vegas is holding it up
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

I would think it has to be Vegas holding it up. They may have a couple of schedules at the ready depending on the availability dates of the venues they were reportedly looking at. I agree they really need to make a definitive call one way or the other.

I also think they may be shorting themselves a bit by not having revealed the jerseys and putting them up on the shop for sale during the holidays, even if it's just replicas. Could be production issues, but if they don't have them up soon it'll be a missed opportunity, imo.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I mean, they definitely should have had all the merch ready to go for Black Friday. That's a missed opportunity, but ultimately one of limited damage. Year 1 merch sales aren't going to make or break this league.

Not having tickets ready to be sold is a much bigger problem, because this all can snowball. Lousy attendance makes people less likely to come back, fewer people to tell their friends, a worse TV product, etc.

I don't want to suggest all is lost or whatever, but every day that goes by is another day that people are buying Christmas presents for others that aren't XFL tickets.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

With the NHL Stadium Series game officially moving to ABC, and ESPN either simulcasting it or merely moving basketball into those spots, that would put them squarely into an afternoon opener on ABC, which (as I've been calling for six months) almost has to be Brahmas/Vipers from Allegiant, you can make the case that they've been trying to line up a doubleheader of sorts, which would also be the case locally with VGK hosting the Lightning that night.

Another potential problem is that the league might not have a primetime Las Vegas Bowl spot if they were going to start an ad blitz as I mentioned in another thread.

At this rate we'll be waiting til the Pro Bowl/Hunger/Firebert Games (cause it's in LV on ESPN/ABC you know ;) ) and then might as well just call it Major League Football 2/3/4.5 or whatever (cause it'll go the same way).
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:42 pm I mean, they definitely should have had all the merch ready to go for Black Friday. That's a missed opportunity, but ultimately one of limited damage. Year 1 merch sales aren't going to make or break this league.

Not having tickets ready to be sold is a much bigger problem, because this all can snowball. Lousy attendance makes people less likely to come back, fewer people to tell their friends, a worse TV product, etc.

I don't want to suggest all is lost or whatever, but every day that goes by is another day that people are buying Christmas presents for others that aren't XFL tickets.
I mean they barely had a sale on Black Friday so idk how important merch sales are rn, I’d assume not that important or we would’ve seen an actual sale rather than a free coozie if you spend $200. That said it would be nice to see jerseys on the shop
Rmbay
Running Back

Post by Rmbay »

herns wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:36 pm
Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:42 pm I mean, they definitely should have had all the merch ready to go for Black Friday. That's a missed opportunity, but ultimately one of limited damage. Year 1 merch sales aren't going to make or break this league.

I mean they barely had a sale on Black Friday so idk how important merch sales are rn, I’d assume not that important or we would’ve seen an actual sale rather than a free coozie if you spend $200. That said it would be nice to see jerseys on the shop
Jersey sales aren't going to make or break the league, but merchandise can have a nice return for a league that's basically in infancy.

The other thing to consider with jerseys is that they can be a form of advertising, especially for a newer league.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Rmbay wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:11 pm Jersey sales aren't going to make or break the league, but merchandise can have a nice return for a league that's basically in infancy.

The other thing to consider with jerseys is that they can be a form of advertising, especially for a newer league.
It's definitely a missed opportunity. I think the lack of a schedule is even worse, but neither is good.