Where is the schedule?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Where is the schedule?

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:46 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:17 pm
MGB01 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 pm Official: Florida/Oregon State to a 3:30 kick (with Pats/Raiders flexed out of SNF), so there goes a prime time spot--if the league was even entertaining it.

(Actually with the whole Jalen Kitna situation, probably a good idea not to have the Gators in prime time--he did get a few snaps vs FSU so it's not like it was the equipment manager. So if Becht was interested in/being steered towards adding Jon to his staff, forget it, Dad's got bigger things to worry about right now)
What "primetime" slot was the XFL losing here?
If they'd wanted to do something as a tie-in, maybe a commercial for the opener, with a larger audience (probably wouldn't be much larger with Dolphins/Bills on NFLN but it's still the first P5 matchup of the bowl season) they'd have it, little tougher now in a more hidden slot.

The LA Bowl drew nearly 2.9 million viewers in the primetime slot last year. The LV Bowl was in line for a slight bump being a P5 matchup and the curiosity factor of an SEC team playing Vegas for the first time in over 20 years. Now the afternoon spot on ESPN won't be as good (NM Bowl drew under a mil last year) and more hidden away, on against several games--albeit a lesser NFL schedule and a suddenly unimpressive Gonzaga (currently playing like dog drool against a MAC team) will help.

But we'll have to see.
What does it matter if its the LV bowl or a bunch of other bowls on Disney? Getting the word out is the same., if they do it.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Yeah but if you're gonna have a Vegas opener, pretty good strategy to have an ad featuring the Vegas game during the other Vegas game. Remember it's not just the game that's part of it.

It doesn't necessarily rule out having ads during the other games that Saturday, but you're not exactly going to have tie-ins for LV during games in Boston, LA, Albuquerque, or Frisco.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

On Sportscenter, Dany was asked when we should expect the schedule. "In the next coming weeks."

WEEKS! WTF.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:28 pm On Sportscenter, Dany was asked when we should expect the schedule. "In the next coming weeks."

WEEKS! WTF.
I heard that too. They won't be able to sell single game tickets until schedule I would think?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:28 pm On Sportscenter, Dany was asked when we should expect the schedule. "In the next coming weeks."

WEEKS! WTF.
Agreed, not a fan of using the USFL (released schedule March 7, which would put the XFL on Jan 9) as a guideline, since they played in mostly one locale as opposed to eight--with the byproduct of 75% of the games not having crowds.

I'll take the job, hell I'll even do a 16-team merged USFL/XFL too. As my new favorite P12 coach might say, I'm comin :mrgreen:
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Right. Stallions fans didn't need to wonder which weekends the team would be in Birmingham.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:24 pm Right. Stallions fans didn't need to wonder which weekends the team would be in Birmingham.
The XFL having a fixed schedule is needed (as you say) for attendance, especially for single game ticket sales. But it will also help with TV as the league and Disney will have fixed times and dates to promote and will be easier to find for fans with a pre-published schedule. (well assuming it has good times etc).

Fox (and possiblly NBC) wanted complete flexibility on filling their programming schedule. Each weeks games schedules were set only a week/two or so before the actual game. That made it difficult to locate the games on TV and promote.

So even if the XFL is late getting a schedule out, having a pre-set with opponent, date and time for all 10 weeks will help XFL/Disney and that's an advantage over USFL.

The USFL may need to pre-set more with games in 2/3 hubs, it may reduce their flexibility but help with attendance and TV ratings.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 am
Tank55 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:24 pm Right. Stallions fans didn't need to wonder which weekends the team would be in Birmingham.
The XFL having a fixed schedule is needed (as you say) for attendance, especially for single game ticket sales. But it will also help with TV as the league and Disney will have fixed times and dates to promote and will be easier to find for fans with a pre-published schedule. (well assuming it has good times etc).

Fox (and possiblly NBC) wanted complete flexibility on filling their programming schedule. Each weeks games schedules were set only a week/two or so before the actual game. That made it difficult to locate the games on TV and promote.

So even if the XFL is late getting a schedule out, having a pre-set with opponent, date and time for all 10 weeks will help XFL/Disney and that's an advantage over USFL.

The USFL may need to pre-set more with games in 2/3 hubs, it may reduce their flexibility but help with attendance and TV ratings.
I think moose Johnston even said they’re changing hire they’re doing scheduling which is a clear indicator it didn’t work as intended imo. I think is follow the nfl format of fixed early but being able to flex games the last few weeks I’d the season
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:50 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 am

I think moose Johnston even said they’re changing hire they’re doing scheduling which is a clear indicator it didn’t work as intended imo. I think is follow the nfl format of fixed early but being able to flex games the last few weeks I’d the season
Good catch on Johnston. Well there you go, they could do it in Yr one as all teams in one local with only 1 game as primary attendance target. And with 2 or likely 3 hubs - it makes even more sense. Also the lead programming prior to game will also necessitate more planning. So yeah that makes sense.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

WEEKS! WTF.
Now that I think of it, with ESPN asking I assume the delay is not due to the Disney side so its all on XFL.