Where is the schedule?

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: Where is the schedule?

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:18 pm The AAF and XFL 2020 released their schedules in mid October.

It's now December. We're in Christmas shopping season. We're well within that four month marketing window.

This is bad. And every day that goes by makes it worse.

I'm imagining that they're just waiting on the ink being dry on a venue in Vegas to nail everything down. They need to swallow their pride and cut bait. House them in Arlington, try again in 2024. It's lame and dumb and everything I hate about the USFL, in addition to the embarrassment of having to backtrack, but there are seven other markets to worry about. Everyone is suffering until a schedule is out.
Could be Vegas, could be ESPN/Disney, could be something else. At any rate it does seems delayed, but so has everything from XFL 3.0 so far(QB signings, Unis, Draft, tv shows, merch, hirings, marketing/promo) based on last falls expectations, rumor, and league reps statements.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Jerseys would've been great for Black Friday, but I do remember having the same argument in 2019 and that league didn't have jerseys ready to go then either (not that it makes it right). They revealed theirs in early December, I believe. At this rate, the jersey reveal for 2023 will be when the teams take the field in February.

As for tickets, yeah, not ideal. They can sell season tickets and that's fine, but most tickets sold, I assume, would come from individual game sales. But if you don't have a Las Vegas site, you don't have a schedule, which means you don't have tickets to sell. I'm just morbidly curious how far they can push this back at this point.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:50 pm Jerseys would've been great for Black Friday, but I do remember having the same argument in 2019 and that league didn't have jerseys ready to go then either (not that it makes it right). They revealed theirs in early December, I believe. At this rate, the jersey reveal for 2023 will be when the teams take the field in February.

As for tickets, yeah, not ideal. They can sell season tickets and that's fine, but most tickets sold, I assume, would come from individual game sales. But if you don't have a Las Vegas site, you don't have a schedule, which means you don't have tickets to sell. I'm just morbidly curious how far they can push this back at this point.
And the worst part about all of this is that, the longer the Vegas fiasco drags on, the less time they have to implement a backup plan for the team.

Remember, the other seven teams' venues were revealed in JULY. Over FOUR MONTHS ago. We are closer to the start of the season—and it's not like they can delay it because then they'll lose the crucial post-Super Bowl hangover audience and will find themselves going head-to-head with a surely emboldened USFL—than the reveal of the other seven teams.

What is the "abandon ship" signal? At what point does the XFL have to decide "look, we can't make Vegas work this year, let's quickly get this team a home to play in in 2023 so that we can move forward"? Honestly, that is something that they SHOULD have had ready by now. We knew ORL was likely all the way back to 2020, and San Antonio in March. Vegas is so far behind that it's jeopardizing everything.

This is the sort of thing a commissioner would be doing. The problem is that Russ Brandon, the closest thing this league has to a commissioner, has only worked in one city (Buffalo) his entire career.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:42 pm
GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:50 pm Jerseys would've been great for Black Friday, but I do remember having the same argument in 2019 and that league didn't have jerseys ready to go then either (not that it makes it right). They revealed theirs in early December, I believe. At this rate, the jersey reveal for 2023 will be when the teams take the field in February.

And the worst part about all of this is that, the longer the Vegas fiasco drags on, the less time they have to implement a backup plan for the team.

Remember, the other seven teams' venues were revealed in JULY. Over FOUR MONTHS ago. We are closer to the start of the season—and it's not like they can delay it because then they'll lose the crucial post-Super Bowl hangover audience and will find themselves going head-to-head with a surely emboldened USFL—than the reveal of the other seven teams.

What is the "abandon ship" signal? At what point does the XFL have to decide "look, we can't make Vegas work this year, let's quickly get this team a home to play in in 2023 so that we can move forward"? Honestly, that is something that they SHOULD have had ready by now. We knew ORL was likely all the way back to 2020, and San Antonio in March. Vegas is so far behind that it's jeopardizing everything.

This is the sort of thing a commissioner would be doing. The problem is that Russ Brandon, the closest thing this league has to a commissioner, has only worked in one city (Buffalo) his entire career.
What about DG? Her name's on the Football.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I can't see the XFL abandoning LV because LV was what RedBird Capital wanted but yeah, it's been an issue for the league so far.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:27 am

I can't see the XFL abandoning LV because LV was what RedBird Capital wanted but yeah, it's been an issue for the league so far.
The question then is why didn't they just open the the checkbook and sign Alliegent months ago? At this point regardless of whether RBC wants LV or not, they need to sign a lease or not.

They could play as a road team or play their home goes in Arlington as previously mentioned for months.

What if LV isn't selling season ticket deposits well they are worried about gate $$$ and fans in stands they could use the stadium issue push the road team only approach.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Or they could play one game in Vegas and four in Arlington. Or whatever. Regardless, the time to make a decision was a month ago.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Official: Florida/Oregon State to a 3:30 kick (with Pats/Raiders flexed out of SNF), so there goes a prime time spot--if the league was even entertaining it.

(Actually with the whole Jalen Kitna situation, probably a good idea not to have the Gators in prime time--he did get a few snaps vs FSU so it's not like it was the equipment manager. So if Becht was interested in/being steered towards adding Jon to his staff, forget it, Dad's got bigger things to worry about right now)
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

MGB01 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 pm Official: Florida/Oregon State to a 3:30 kick (with Pats/Raiders flexed out of SNF), so there goes a prime time spot--if the league was even entertaining it.

(Actually with the whole Jalen Kitna situation, probably a good idea not to have the Gators in prime time--he did get a few snaps vs FSU so it's not like it was the equipment manager. So if Becht was interested in/being steered towards adding Jon to his staff, forget it, Dad's got bigger things to worry about right now)
What "primetime" slot was the XFL losing here?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:17 pm
MGB01 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:53 pm Official: Florida/Oregon State to a 3:30 kick (with Pats/Raiders flexed out of SNF), so there goes a prime time spot--if the league was even entertaining it.

What "primetime" slot was the XFL losing here?
If they'd wanted to do something as a tie-in, maybe a commercial for the opener, with a larger audience (probably wouldn't be much larger with Dolphins/Bills on NFLN but it's still the first P5 matchup of the bowl season) they'd have it, little tougher now in a more hidden slot.

The LA Bowl drew nearly 2.9 million viewers in the primetime slot last year. The LV Bowl was in line for a slight bump being a P5 matchup and the curiosity factor of an SEC team playing Vegas for the first time in over 20 years. Now the afternoon spot on ESPN won't be as good (NM Bowl drew under a mil last year) and more hidden away, on against several games--albeit a lesser NFL schedule and a suddenly unimpressive Gonzaga (currently playing like dog drool against a MAC team) will help.

But we'll have to see.