ESPN/ABC+ XFL advertising & promotion

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: ESPN/ABC XFL advertising & promotion

Post by GregParks »

I guess I don't understand how you can single out people on ESPN and speculate whether or not they'd be interested in covering the XFL. I don't see how you can make that assumption, either way, of any of them.

That's also very different from what you put at the end, that you don't see ESPN using all/most of their people to talk about the XFL. That I agree with - I think it'll be interesting to see whether they pull more from their college or pro talking heads and just how much time they spend outside of games talking about the league - but that also seems very different from what you spent the previous two paragraphs dissecting.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:06 pm I guess I don't understand how you can single out people on ESPN and speculate whether or not they'd be interested in covering the XFL. I don't see how you can make that assumption, either way, of any of them.

That's also very different from what you put at the end, that you don't see ESPN using all/most of their people to talk about the XFL. That I agree with - I think it'll be interesting to see whether they pull more from their college or pro talking heads and just how much time they spend outside of games talking about the league - but that also seems very different from what you spent the previous two paragraphs dissecting.
Keep in mind that Steve Levy (XFL 2.0) and Jason Garrett (USFL) both used these leagues to advance (Level to MNF) and Garrett to SNF and ND games (I think).

Top tier guys may not but its definitely helped some.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

One thing to consider: Bob Iger might decide to split ESPN and ABC away from each other, so that could play a factor in ESPN advertising and promotion going forward.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

No new drive to the draft
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 am No new drive to the draft
Yes it was listed as 'XFL drive to kickoff'

but was repeat of 'XFL drive to the draft', i didn't see it before, looks like infomercial, not unexpected. also was produced by XFL

looks like 4 weeks till contracts signing deadline
Sounder
Coach

Post by Sounder »

I'd like Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle to be an XFL broadcast team.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Sounder wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:35 pm I'd like Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle to be an XFL broadcast team.
Tess is a pretty good idea actually, he got a bad rap for MNF (mostly due to surrounding, um, talent). College was more his game, not a bad thing--see Keith Jackson, who ended up as ABC's Mr. Everything (including the USFL) anyway. In fact while Fowler/Herbstreit would be a tremendous get for the league's profile, I've been more impressed with Tess on games this year. F/H have just been embarrassing at points (USC/Stanford was terrible), and also isn't a point in Herbie's favor that he's dragged Al Michaels back down almost to levels of the year he did regional games on CBS back in the 70s.

Riggle would not only be a Jesse Ventura problem for a league that shook it off in 2020 but would just about undo that in its third go-round (even though he's been doing Fox NFL Sunday spots for years, they're comedy bits--it's not like he's doing Bucs/Falcons at 1 with Adam Amin, Joe Davis or whomever). Plus, you're taking the focus off the game and having people think Holey Moley
4th&long
MVP

TV ads on ESPN/ABC for XFL?

Post by 4th&long »

I didn't watch the full game but didn't see any XFL TV ads/promos on MNF... were there any?
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Just saw what I believe was the first XFL commercial during MNF.
@gregmparks
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:14 pm Just saw what I believe was the first XFL commercial during MNF.