ESPN/ABC+ XFL advertising & promotion

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

ESPN/ABC+ XFL advertising & promotion

Post by 4th&long »

Has there been any XFL promotion on ABC/ESPN sporting events especially MNF, CFB or related programing?
Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
herns
Head Coach

Re: ESPN/ABC XFL advertising & promotion

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 pm Has there been any XFL promotion on ABC/ESPN sporting events especially MNF, CFB or related programing?
They ran 1 commercial during XFL drive to the draft but that’s the only time I’ve seen one
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Looking at "XFL Drive to the Draft" I see it was an XFL produced show... not that they can't produce shows but it seems less of an ESPN product, ie not at ESPN expense.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA146A3J

>> The XFL-produced, can’t-miss special offers viewers unprecedented access behind the curtain as league Chairwoman and Owner, Dany Garcia, and league owner, Dwayne Johnson, work toward bringing their vision for the XFL to life. <<
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:38 am Looking at "XFL Drive to the Draft" I see it was an XFL produced show... not that they can't produce shows but it seems less of an ESPN product, ie not at ESPN expense.

>> The XFL-produced, can’t-miss special offers viewers unprecedented access behind the curtain as league Chairwoman and Owner, Dany Garcia, and league owner, Dwayne Johnson, work toward bringing their vision for the XFL to life. <<
This isn't exactly unexpected though. Danny Garcia production company is said to have a producing lots of XFL related content. There's a new show on Monday as well apparently.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:47 am
4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:38 am Looking at "XFL Drive to the Draft" I see it was an XFL produced show... not that they can't produce shows but it seems less of an ESPN product, ie not at ESPN expense.

This isn't exactly unexpected though. Danny Garcia production company is said to have a producing lots of XFL related content. There's a new show on Monday as well apparently.
Agreed, Yes I saw that too.

However, I'm looking to see what expense Disney is putting out on Ads and promotion etc...
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:12 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:47 am

Agreed, Yes I saw that too.

However, I'm looking to see what expense Disney is putting out on Ads and promotion etc...
Right now, about 0. It’d be nice to see them start rolling out ads or at least put drive to the draft in a better timeslot/on the main ESPN
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

I am more interested in seeing who from ESPN will cover the league. I would guess based on the XFL Draft Coverage that Stormy Boutany (or however her last name is spelled) would be involved and possibly Laura Rutledge (who did the team name reveals) and Kevin Seifert (who has written a lot of XFL articles for ESPN). But who else? That to me is more interesting that ESPN advertising and promotion. As for ESPN advertising or promotion, I can't see the XFL being talked about on the Get Up or First Take, at least not in the same way as they discuss the NFL. In that situation it's probably going to be either Stormy or Laura talking to the Rock or Dany, but that's it. I say this because I think a lot of the folks covering the NFL would probably find the XFL as beneath them.

As much as he can be annoying, if ESPN wants a group of people to discuss the XFL, I think Pat McAfee would have to be involved as well. I watch his show and he talks about a lot of things the Rock does as he's never met the guy and is a big fan of his (he hopes to meet the Rock when both return to WWE in January).
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:19 pm I am more interested in seeing who from ESPN will cover the league. I would guess based on the XFL Draft Coverage that Stormy Boutany (or however her last name is spelled) would be involved and possibly Laura Rutledge (who did the team name reveals) and Kevin Seifert (who has written a lot of XFL articles for ESPN). But who else? That to me is more interesting that ESPN advertising and promotion. As for ESPN advertising or promotion, I can't see the XFL being talked about on the Get Up or First Take, at least not in the same way as they discuss the NFL. In that situation it's probably going to be either Stormy or Laura talking to the Rock or Dany, but that's it. I say this because I think a lot of the folks covering the NFL would probably find the XFL as beneath them.

As much as he can be annoying, if ESPN wants a group of people to discuss the XFL, I think Pat McAfee would have to be involved as well. I watch his show and he talks about a lot of things the Rock does as he's never met the guy and is a big fan of his (he hopes to meet the Rock when both return to WWE in January).
While that is also true (the Stormy part) I would think for XFL to benefit it should be promoted to FB viewers, and that's now. Hopefully we'll start seeing some soon.
Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:19 pm I say this because I think a lot of the folks covering the NFL would probably find the XFL as beneath them.
I've seen you post something similar in the past and I'm really not sure where you're getting this from. Football players belong to a select fraternity, and they tend to have a lot of respect for each other. I think that's especially true for players who are scratching and clawing their way to make it as professionals; I don't see former NFL players on ESPN seeing that kind of coverage as "beneath" them. If anything, I think it'd be the opposite, that they'd have tremendous respect for those taking an alternative path.

If you're talking non-players, like studio hosts and PBP guys, again, I'm not sure that's the case. I think those who did games for the league in 2020 would have good things to say about their experience and would pass that on to their colleagues. But the bottom line is that if ESPN wants them to talk about the XFL in these settings, they're going to talk about the XFL.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:21 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:19 pm I say this because I think a lot of the folks covering the NFL would probably find the XFL as beneath them.
I've seen you post something similar in the past and I'm really not sure where you're getting this from. Football players belong to a select fraternity, and they tend to have a lot of respect for each other. I think that's especially true for players who are scratching and clawing their way to make it as professionals; I don't see former NFL players on ESPN seeing that kind of coverage as "beneath" them. If anything, I think it'd be the opposite, that they'd have tremendous respect for those taking an alternative path.

If you're talking non-players, like studio hosts and PBP guys, again, I'm not sure that's the case. I think those who did games for the league in 2020 would have good things to say about their experience and would pass that on to their colleagues. But the bottom line is that if ESPN wants them to talk about the XFL in these settings, they're going to talk about the XFL.
For the NFL folks, there are some who probably won't want to cover it, but some might. Dan Orlovsky might be interested in covering it from a QB perspective. He could use NFL Preseason or college footage for some of these guys and compare them with XFL footage just to see if they have improved any and if they are good enough to at least get a roster spot in the NFL. Louis Riddick might want to cover it from a scouting perspective. Others like Ryan Clark, Marcus Spears, Mina Kimes, Damien Woody and Dominique Foxworth could be under a "wait and see" situation wanting to wait and see how good the football is. I don't see others like Teddy Bruschi, Kimberly A Martin, Rex Ryan or Mike Tannenbaum wanting to cover it anyways. I did read that Diana Russini is pregnant, but she would most likely be open to returning to cover the XFL, depending on when she's due.

My thing has been I don't see some of the NFL folks on ESPN wanting to talk the XFL. Some might consider it intriguing and others are probably going to wait. As for the non football folks, I would put Stephen A Smith in the "wait and see" category as he would probably be happy that the XFL has four African American head coaches and is owned by two people of color. Mad Dog Russo would probably bash the league.

I might have said it wrong when I think that some will see the XFL as beneath them. It's more like "I can't see ESPN using all or most of their NFL people to talk the XFL." Again, some might but others won't.