XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: ESPN/ABC XFL advertising & promotion

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:44 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:57 am
MGB01 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:48 pm

Just tell me that when/if the USFL doesn't get theirs out until March again that you'll have the same for them
The USFL had one location ins 2022, and a flex schedule for TV. All 10 weeks were in Birmingham - Its totally different - there's your schedule. Times were flexible for TV.

What will USFL do in 2023? Yeah they should have at least the Birm, Memphis, Mich games dates set ahead of 2022, to help with ticket sales. Maybe not the times and opponents. We'll see - but the biz goals are different enough for each league.

Ticket sales aren't the only thing the USFL has to do. They also need to fully reveal what the Showboats look like (we've only seen teases so far), the Stars need to add to their QB room (they have one under contract so far) and announce one or two more hubs. The USFL has been silent on all of these announcements, but my theory on that is that since the USFL season doesn't start until April, that they will wait until after the Super Bowl to announce some or all of these.

I suspect that there will be movement on the Stars QB room within the next few weeks. There's a reason that they only have one QB and my theory is that they are waiting for Case Cookus and I could also see them re-signing KJ Costello (The fact that he hasn't been mentioned anywhere: NFL tryouts, XFL, signed elsewhere in the USFL or wound up in the IFL or NAL is odd if he hasn't retired. He might have decided to retire after the Saints released him).
Agreed on Memphis.

Alot of players have rolled off contracts... P Lynch, S Patterson etc too. The USFL has about 400 players signed. I think I read that they were looking to bring 60 each to camp so expect some resignings and XFL cuts to be signed along with newbies. Costello is young so he may try again I would think. Some QB's may be holding out for XFL $ but I don't see them keeping more than 3 each.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:35 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:57 am

The USFL had one location ins 2022, and a flex schedule for TV. All 10 weeks were in Birmingham - Its totally different - there's your schedule. Times were flexible for TV.

What will USFL do in 2023? Yeah they should have at least the Birm, Memphis, Mich games dates set ahead of 2022, to help with ticket sales. Maybe not the times and opponents. We'll see - but the biz goals are different enough for each league.

Ticket sales aren't the only thing the USFL has to do. They also need to fully reveal what the Showboats look like (we've only seen teases so far), the Stars need to add to their QB room (they have one under contract so far) and announce one or two more hubs. The USFL has been silent on all of these announcements, but my theory on that is that since the USFL season doesn't start until April, that they will wait until after the Super Bowl to announce some or all of these.

I suspect that there will be movement on the Stars QB room within the next few weeks. There's a reason that they only have one QB and my theory is that they are waiting for Case Cookus and I could also see them re-signing KJ Costello (The fact that he hasn't been mentioned anywhere: NFL tryouts, XFL, signed elsewhere in the USFL or wound up in the IFL or NAL is odd if he hasn't retired. He might have decided to retire after the Saints released him).
Agreed on Memphis.

Alot of players have rolled off contracts... P Lynch, S Patterson etc too. The USFL has about 400 players signed. I think I read that they were looking to bring 60 each to camp so expect some resignings and XFL cuts to be signed along with newbies. Costello is young so he may try again I would think. Some QB's may be holding out for XFL $ but I don't see them keeping more than 3 each.
the fact that Costello hasn't signed anywhere or linked to any league leads me to believe that he'll be back in the USFL...unless he has a CFL deal impending.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:11 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:35 am

Agreed on Memphis.

the fact that Costello hasn't signed anywhere or linked to any league leads me to believe that he'll be back in the USFL...unless he has a CFL deal impending.
That's very possible
4th&long
MVP

ESPN/ABC final FB game prior to XFL

Post by 4th&long »

With the Monday night W/C game tonight... it will be the final ABC/ESPN game prior to XFL.

Expect to see at least one XFL commercial.
4th&long
MVP

Re: ESPN/ABC final FB game prior to XFL

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 am With the Monday night W/C game tonight... it will be the final ABC/ESPN game prior to XFL.

I didn't see any but turned the game off early. Was there any XFL talk or commercials?
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:02 am
4th&long wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 am With the Monday night W/C game tonight... it will be the final ABC/ESPN game prior to XFL.

I didn't see any but turned the game off early. Was there any XFL talk or commercials?
There was the same commercial that’s been playing during games played before the game
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:44 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:02 am

There was the same commercial that’s been playing during games played before the game
Sounds like once. That's the last ABC/ESPN FB game till XFL, so figured they would.
4th&long
MVP

SA-BJ - Scott Bailey on XFL

Post by 4th&long »

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
W. Scott Bailey@scottbaileysabj
Looks like #XFL2023 has a lot of seats to fill across the league. Lack of marketing and general hype likely isn’t helping. Seen more TV ads for #USFL and that league is set to kick off months later.
9:54 PM · Jan 19, 2023 <<
laxtreme56
Coach

Re: SA-BJ - Scott Bailey on XFL

Post by laxtreme56 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:39 am

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Looks like #XFL2023 has a lot of seats to fill across the league. Lack of marketing and general hype likely isn’t helping. Seen more TV ads for #USFL and that league is set to kick off months later.
With games still a month away, the available seats don't look too dissimilar from XFL 2020 at this point. I'll concede the league is lacking in marketing, and their social media presence is a bit of a downgrade from 2020, both in quantity and quality of posts. With that said, I feel most tickets will be purchased in the 7-10 days before kickoff. Heck, I already booked my room for the DC home opener and plan to just buy tickets day of the game.
MGB01
MVP

Re: SA-BJ - Scott Bailey on XFL

Post by MGB01 »

4th&long wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:39 am

>> Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
And? The guy's twitter reads largely like the best of Get Off My Lawn, your "award-winning journos" 2023. Oh and attendance is now important to him after dismissing the Spurs' record last week.

But we get it, you live for them (as seen with Florio)..........................................