Vegas and Memphis

XFL Football discussion.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: Vegas and Memphis

Post by Gopher123 »

No question that the weather in SLC during February and March had a negative effect, and that’s a good point. SD, ORL, and SA, had roughly 20k plus in the same poorly run AAF. Weather was nice sure but those cities all have avid football fans too.

Also, I agree that it’s a little dangerous to judge a city strictly off of a past team’s failure. It does factor in though, at least for me. Sports hungry towns still show up to support their teams, example STL.

Personally, I don’t see enough to put SLC at the top of a USFL expansion list. There’s also a little danger putting a team in a city just because of location and lack of other sports teams. Leagues can’t trip up in early selection for expansion.

I would prefer somewhere like Columbus, or somewhere in Ohio. No question about football demand there. Also, football tv ratings in Ohio for XFL 2.0 were at the top. Not sure where USFL ratings were for Ohio but I think they were decent. Much safer bet than SLC, IMO. Want a team out west? Then in or around Denver like I said earlier.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 pm Is there any possibility that both the USFL and XFL were being courted by Memphis and FedEx founder Smith and that's why Vegas was delayed?
Going back to the original IP...

My thoughts were that FedEx Founder Fred Smith was the one who initiated the call into the USFL not vice-versa. Is it logical to assume he would have reached out to the XFL as well? And if that was true would the XFL at least not explore it?

And if so was did that delay the XFL in signing off a lease in LV? Even if not, would be interesting to see if Smith did contact the XFL and if he thought USFL was better choice or he just wanted either one.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

I don't think I'd assume anything.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:46 pm I don't think I'd assume anything.
well you can't, its speculation based on fact pattern, but would like to hear some investigative reporting on it.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:25 am
4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 pm Is there any possibility that both the USFL and XFL were being courted by Memphis and FedEx founder Smith and that's why Vegas was delayed?

My thoughts were that FedEx Founder Fred Smith was the one who initiated the call into the USFL not vice-versa. Is it logical to assume he would have reached out to the XFL as well? And if that was true would the XFL at least not explore it?

And if so was did that delay the XFL in signing off a lease in LV? Even if not, would be interesting to see if Smith did contact the XFL and if he thought USFL was better choice or he just wanted either one.
My guess would be smith had an attachment to the original showboats and wanted them back, I believe in the press conference they said Smith initiated the move to memphis through calls to the USFL and asking what he’d need to do to get the showboats back in memphis
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 pm

My guess would be smith had an attachment to the original showboats and wanted them back, I believe in the press conference they said Smith initiated the move to memphis through calls to the USFL and asking what he’d need to do to get the showboats back in memphis
Maybe he wanted "just" the Showboats. But it comes across as he just wanted a team in Memphis.

Correct that FS called the USFL, I'd be surprised if he didn't try the XFL too. Especially with the LVV delayed lease signing. Its also possible the XFL was being courted by another city and that delayed LV or just general GI on the part of XFL in delayed lease. But I tend to think they were not 100% sure on LV until late.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:36 pm
herns wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:24 pm

Maybe he wanted "just" the Showboats. But it comes across as he just wanted a team in Memphis.

Correct that FS called the USFL, I'd be surprised if he didn't try the XFL too. Especially with the LVV delayed lease signing. Its also possible the XFL was being courted by another city and that delayed LV or just general GI on the part of XFL in delayed lease. But I tend to think they were not 100% sure on LV until late.
Idk maybe he did, we’ll probably never know. I do think having fox backing it and getting through a season was probably a big influence in him wanting to get involved. I think Vegas has been in the plan for awhile just because I believe it was Dany said that Cardinale and Redbird really wanted Vegas involved