Las Vegas Review Journal: XFL has selected Vipers venue, contract being worked out

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Las Vegas Review Journal: XFL has selected Vipers venue, contract being worked out

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:34 pm "their preferred venue has been selected and contractual details are being worked out"

I like how that's presented as progress, when surely they had a preference months ago and what's always been missing is the contract.
the term "their preferred venue" makes me think it's going to be Allegiant.
Tank55
MVP

Re: Las Vegas Review Journal: XFL has selected Vipers venue, contract being worked out

Post by Tank55 »

They didn't need all this time to identify Allegiant as their preferred destination. That was obvious on Day 1. Surely it's been finding a Plan B that's taken all this time.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:00 am They didn't need all this time to identify Allegiant as their preferred destination. That was obvious on Day 1. Surely it's been finding a Plan B that's taken all this time.
I think Tank is likely correct, or they decided to cough up the extra cash required to secure Allegient. Either way they squeezed the draft in (and it looks to have gone pretty well) just before Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

Now they need to get the LV decision made and publicize it to try and get tix sales.

I still think LV was a poor choice of city but we shall see.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:15 am
Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:00 am They didn't need all this time to identify Allegiant as their preferred destination. That was obvious on Day 1. Surely it's been finding a Plan B that's taken all this time.
I think Tank is likely correct, or they decided to cough up the extra cash required to secure Allegient. Either way they squeezed the draft in (and it looks to have gone pretty well) just before Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

Now they need to get the LV decision made and publicize it to try and get tix sales.

I have heard (I think it was on the Markcast) that Las Vegas was what Gerry Cardinale of Redbird wanted.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Mike Mitchell did say that on the Markcast.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:53 pm Mike Mitchell did say that on the Markcast.
That's right. It's been a bit of a debacle so far, but one that can easily be fixed if they end up playing at Allegiant.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:06 pm
4th&long wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:15 am

I have heard (I think it was on the Markcast) that Las Vegas was what Gerry Cardinale of Redbird wanted.
I'm still in that it was on ESPN's end too, all you have to do is look at their almost controlling interest in Vegas (mostly thru UFC) to see that. Plus if the XFL's about to go big here, then it's clearer. Opening day at Allegiant, Steeler legend vs. Steeler legend would confirm that.

Plus with their heavy counterprogramming push as of late, bet on the first two Saturdays of the NCAA Tournament being on ABC.

We'll know if this is the strategy if there's an XFL blitz during the Las Vegas Bowl (just cause it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't). There are pros and cons of announcing something that week, cause you don't want to not only step all over the game but take away from yourselves as well. Remember the LV Bowl being one of the first games has literally days to assemble everything (although if it ends up Wazzu/Mississippi State that almost takes care of it all in one). We kind of had this discussion last year with the Birmingham Bowl (at least I did), and first coaching announcements came the week after the game.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Per SMW, should the Raiders be flexed out of SNF 12/18, the LV Bowl would move to the afternoon, switching places with the New Mexico Bowl.

It might be a good test run for opening Saturday.
Lone Star
Running Back

Post by Lone Star »

"Xan Diego" is trending on Twitter because of Xander Bogaerts' new contract with the Padres. At first I thought the XFL was moving its Vegas team to San Diego.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

In our latest installment of As the Stadium Turns...

@gregmparks