QB Draft Thread

XFL Football discussion.
4th&long
MVP

Re: QB Draft Thread

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:13 pm
GregParks wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am I'm not sure that locks him in with the Vegas team - XFL Sr. Director of Football Ops Jim Monos was recording his "Go Long" podcast with Ty Dunne on Monday from Vegas, so the league may still be doing some work there even after the draft. Scott could be there related to that (if he's able to while still under contract with the USFL). Or could be related to work with Jordan Palmer.
With the USFL in need of QBs after losing Luis Perez and Kyle Sloter to the XFL, Case Cookus to the NFL and most likely Jordan Ta'amu, I would think that Bryan Scott is a QB that they would want to keep.
Money talk$ but USFL will be disciplined
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:29 pm
GregParks wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:56 am I'm not sure that locks him in with the Vegas team - XFL Sr. Director of Football Ops Jim Monos was recording his "Go Long" podcast with Ty Dunne on Monday from Vegas, so the league may still be doing some work there even after the draft. Scott could be there related to that (if he's able to while still under contract with the USFL). Or could be related to work with Jordan Palmer.
With the USFL in need of QBs after losing Luis Perez and Kyle Sloter to the XFL, Case Cookus to the NFL and most likely Jordan Ta'amu, I would think that Bryan Scott is a QB that they would want to keep.
Of course it does, but the USFL is in need of depth at that position. I find it hard to believe that the Stars, Gamblers, Breakers and Showboats will come into 2023 with the QBs they already have.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 pm

Of course it does, but the USFL is in need of depth at that position. I find it hard to believe that the Stars, Gamblers, Breakers and Showboats will come into 2023 with the QBs they already have.
why? the gamblers and showboats, and breakers sans sloter (xfl already) seem ok
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:01 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 pm

why? the gamblers and showboats, and breakers sans sloter (xfl already) seem ok
I can't see the Breakers heading into 2023 with just Zach Smith and Shea Patterson. They will add at least one more. Same for Showboats, who have Brady White and Guy Meyers.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Head to head, I MO the XFL is winning the QB competition.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Firecop wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:15 am Head to head, I MO the XFL is winning the QB competition.
I wouldn't call it a competition so much as them paying more $$. Is that the right strategy? Or will USFL counter or avoid a bidding war? We'll see that too. Money talk$ in hiring but burning money can hurt and the XFL is a way more heavily staffed org than USFL. That cost$.

I'm also concerned about the economy and impact on both leagues.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:24 am
Firecop wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:15 am Head to head, I MO the XFL is winning the QB competition.
I wouldn't call it a competition so much as them paying more $$. Is that the right strategy? Or will USFL counter or avoid a bidding war? We'll see that too. Money talk$ in hiring but burning money can hurt and the XFL is a way more heavily staffed org than USFL. That cost$.

I'm also concerned about the economy and impact on both leagues.
I think the XFL will be fine because of RedBird Capital. Unless they all of a sudden start to invest heavily in Crypto, Gerry Cardinale and Redbird Capital won't have any financial issues. If they did, they would not have bought AC Milan for $1.3 billion in September.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

With the caveat that a lot can change between now and when players report to training camp, both positive (adding more, higher-level QBs during supplemental draft) and negative (players choosing USFL over XFL, choosing not to report, being signed by NFL teams), I would tend to agree.

I think the fact that many of the assigned QBs were paraded up during the selection show and went through with the dog-and-pony show of being intro'd by coaches and putting on the hats tells you're they are ones who are pretty committed.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Getting AJ McCarron was a surprise for the USFL, because he's the type of QB I never thought would ever play alternative football. There are actually a few free agent QBs who I am surprised haven't showed up in either league yet: Nate Stanley, Anthony Gordon, Isaac Harker (CFL Free Agent) and Kevin Hogan.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Another thing:

- Since the players will live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and travel to their cities on Game Day, Ben DiNucci doesn't have to find a new home.

:)