QB Draft Thread

XFL Football discussion.
Firecop
Coach

Re: QB Draft Thread

Post by Firecop »

I have to strongly agree with 4th that the XFL seems very top heavy to me. Now that may be a good sign, for long term stability or it maybe a mistake - too early to tell. I hope the former rather than the latter.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Firecop wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm I have to strongly agree with 4th that the XFL seems very top heavy to me. Now that may be a good sign, for long term stability or it maybe a mistake - too early to tell. I hope the former rather than the latter.
Could you expand on what front office/management positions the XFL has announced are ones you feel are not necessary? I promise this is not a "gotcha" question - I'm genuinely curious as to which hire(s) you believe a league of this size can do without.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:05 pm
4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:09 pm
laxtreme56 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:50 pm

Why would we have to hear about it publicly? No reporters are asking these questions and I doubt Red Bird cares what 100 fans think on a random message board. The XFL is an investment just like AC Milan. Look at MLS, they lost close to a billion dollars since their inception and now individual teams are selling for $500 million. When Redbird bought the league out of bankruptcy they got all the profits and loss reports from XFL 2.0. They know where to put their money and where not to (hiring a $5 million commissioner). It's going to take a few years to hit its stride and I'm confident Redbird at the very least sees out the 5 year television contract.
Why would we have to hear about it publicly? Because it adds credibility big time. That's why McMahon said $300mm upfront and Fox said $150-200mm over 3 years. Why invest or do business with a league or get personally vested in a team league if its not going to last? Look at AAF especially with SA for example... people do get jaded.
Because these meetings typically happen behind closed doors. Tom Dundon publicly committed $250million to the AAF, how did that turn out? He didn't even spend a fraction of what he promised. The XFL obtained a sponsor for a draft that wasn't even televised, obviously Zip Recruiter liked what the XFL was selling. Gerry Cardinale seems to be a private man that doesn't grant many interviews, that's fine by me. I don't need to know how the sausage is made as long as it tastes good
I believe teh AAF said Dundon was investing $250mm, but he never 100% confirmed that. The difference is Dundon bought the league based on X from liar Ebersol and when he saw the state of things bailed.
And even McMahon bailed (yeah covid was the big reason)

As far as draft sponsor - for all we know ZipRecruiter paid just $10k for that sponsorship. Not that XFL would tell us, but XFL 3.0 has been extremely non-transparent. And there's no guarantee for either league.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:31 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 pm Back to QB's.....I would not be at all surprised if all 8 XFL teams have 4 QBs each heading into their camps. San Antonio has 4, so it remains to be seen if they take a 5th QB heading into camp, but if they do, that is rare because not even NFL teams bring in 5 QBs and if San Antonio does bring in a 5th QB, it's probably going to be a guy who can also play other positions.
I think you might see a mix. Just going based off 2020 rosters, some teams ended up keeping three QBs on their final roster, some ended up keeping just two (a couple third QBs, like M. Williams, Dungey, Flowers had multi-positional value, too). I think the teams that end up keeping two will take three to camp, and those that will keep three will take four.

With only 66 roster spots in training camp as opposed to 90 for NFL teams, some XFL teams may choose to use that fourth QB roster spot at another position.
That leaves many QB's available come week 1.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:29 pm
GregParks wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:31 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:41 pm Back to QB's.....I would not be at all surprised if all 8 XFL teams have 4 QBs each heading into their camps. San Antonio has 4, so it remains to be seen if they take a 5th QB heading into camp, but if they do, that is rare because not even NFL teams bring in 5 QBs and if San Antonio does bring in a 5th QB, it's probably going to be a guy who can also play other positions.
I think you might see a mix. Just going based off 2020 rosters, some teams ended up keeping three QBs on their final roster, some ended up keeping just two (a couple third QBs, like M. Williams, Dungey, Flowers had multi-positional value, too). I think the teams that end up keeping two will take three to camp, and those that will keep three will take four.

With only 66 roster spots in training camp as opposed to 90 for NFL teams, some XFL teams may choose to use that fourth QB roster spot at another position.
That leaves many QB's available come week 1.
Could be more for the USFL to choose.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Greg, happily. I am working on an XFL Org. chart based on what I have read, and when I finish, I will let you know what I think is duplicate or unneeded.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Khalil Tate worked out for the Raiders today.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:01 pm Khalil Tate worked out for the Raiders today.
As a WR, interestingly enough.
@gregmparks
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 pm As a WR, interestingly enough.
I almost asked at what position.

Watching the college conference championship games, I can't help but think how helpful UTSA's Frank Harris and TCU's Max Duggan might be at moving tickets for San Antonio and Arlington respectively. I'm not 100% sure of their remaining eligibility or their NFL prospects, and even if those two thing did line up it would be shortsighted to start assigning players for marketing reasons. But I think I'd at least ask Ward and Stoops if they'd be interested.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Tank55 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:40 pm
GregParks wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 pm As a WR, interestingly enough.
I almost asked at what position.

Watching the college conference championship games, I can't help but think how helpful UTSA's Frank Harris and TCU's Max Duggan might be at moving tickets for San Antonio and Arlington respectively. I'm not 100% sure of their remaining eligibility or their NFL prospects, and even if those two thing did line up it would be shortsighted to start assigning players for marketing reasons. But I think I'd at least ask Ward and Stoops if they'd be interested.
Harris is staying for another year. Duggan is likely going to explore his NFL options first before considering XFL or USFL. Same with Stetson Bennett.