QB Draft Thread

XFL Football discussion.
nick1091
Running Back

Re: QB Draft Thread

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:24 pm
Tank55 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:06 pm Jalan McClendon, Luis Perez to Vegas.
Sorry didn't see this... posted separate

So Perez and Sloter - the two guys released from their USFL contract via signing with NFL went to XFL. $$$ must be substantially better and USFL not going to over pay in 2023.

It's good for XFL to get two QB's (likely 1 or 2 more) but it also illustrates that USFL had good QBs if your competition grabs them. I hope they do well and the league doesn't fold on them.
Sloter one especially curious since he just did an AMA on the official USFL discord last month.

Reasons for leaving aside, this is for sure a blow to USFL. QB quality always seems an issue in these spring leagues and replacing these guys no sure thing.

Rest of the draft should be interesting. Wonder if we should just operate under the assumption any USFL player who got a release for an NFL workout/camp invite/practice squad add, etc. is fair game.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:16 pm This whole thing is kind of weird. Seems more like they're trying to get video for future stuff rather than this being an event itself.
I agree. I am interested in seeing the ESPN draft special tonight, and get a taste for how the XFL will spin this league documentary-wise.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

nick1091 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:20 pm

So Perez and Sloter - the two guys released from their USFL contract via signing with NFL went to XFL. $$$ must be substantially better and USFL not going to over pay in 2023.

It's good for XFL to get two QB's (likely 1 or 2 more) but it also illustrates that USFL had good QBs if your competition grabs them. I hope they do well and the league doesn't fold on them.
Sloter one especially curious since he just did an AMA on the official USFL discord last month.

Reasons for leaving aside, this is for sure a blow to USFL. QB quality always seems an issue in these spring leagues and replacing these guys no sure thing.

Rest of the draft should be interesting. Wonder if we should just operate under the assumption any USFL player who got a release for an NFL workout/camp invite/practice squad add, etc. is fair game.
Mike Mitchell said on the Markcast that Jim Popp works for the USFL and still has ties to the CFL so they might go that route.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:58 pm hmmm...no Carson Strong, Jarrett Guarantano, Khalil Tate, Cole McDonald and Davis Cheek
He also says that there's a current NFL practice squad QB who has agreed to sign with the XFL.
That would presumably be D’Eriq King, who was slated to go to the Defenders today, which is why they only took one QB.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Nick,
Sloter was already a free agent when he signed to NFL camp this summer. The USFL lost him then. He's a free agent. The XFL is said to be paying more and at his age he'd going for the money. Maybe he also would have stayed if Fedora was still there if he liked him, but money talks and he left. He tends to get banged up too, so that may be why USFL decided to pass on him.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Tank55 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:13 pm "I'm here to help guys out, go to the NFL..."

Way to go, Haslett.
One of these days we're gonna find out just how the hell Haslett wound up in Seattle. His most recent job was LB coach for the Titans, who played the Seahawks at Lumen in 2021 (also the opposing coach/DC with the Saints (2003), Rams (06-08), and Redskins (2011)), might have left an impression on him.

Once he was available he probably jumped at it.

BTW, one of Haslett's Tuskers is still active in the NFL, Matt Overton with the Cowboys.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:41 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:58 pm
GDAWG wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:58 pm hmmm...no Carson Strong, Jarrett Guarantano, Khalil Tate, Cole McDonald and Davis Cheek
He also says that there's a current NFL practice squad QB who has agreed to sign with the XFL.
That would presumably be D’Eriq King, who was slated to go to the Defenders today, which is why they only took one QB.
Most likely. Looking at the list of practice squad guys, there are a few (Matt Barkley, Tim Boyle, Ryan Griffin) who will probably transition to coaching as apparently, Boyle (who is on the Lions PS) is an unofficial QB coach since he's a mediocre QB.

I see why AJ McCarron is in the XFL. He fits the mode of "QB who is still a player but is essentially an unofficial coach." The NFL has a lot of these with guys like Brian Hoyer, Chase Daniel, Barkley, Boyle, Griffin, Case Keenum, Trevor Siemian, Chad Henne, Blaine Gabbert (who has been a massive disappointment as a former first round pick), Joe Flacco (these days) and Colt McCoy. These are the types who are content with being the backup QB. That's not something I see Sloter and Perez doing, at least not to start the season.
USXFL
Kicker

Post by USXFL »

As a Bengals fan who was curious to see how A.J. McCarron would perform in his professional career. I am now excited to see him play for the St. Louis Battlehawks who I believe will be the team I follow the most closely in the XFL. The excitement the city has for it's team is amazing, and hope this league thrives.
nick1091
Running Back

Post by nick1091 »

4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:45 pm

Nick,
Sloter was already a free agent when he signed to NFL camp this summer. The USFL lost him then. He's a free agent. The XFL is said to be paying more and at his age he'd going for the money. Maybe he also would have stayed if Fedora was still there if he liked him, but money talks and he left. He tends to get banged up too, so that may be why USFL decided to pass on him.
So wait, which is it? He left for more money or USFL passed on him? If it’s the latter, why would the USFL promote an AMA on their Discord of a guy they didn’t want back in late October?
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

About the USFL:

- Remember the Maulers have 5 QBs on their roster now: Vad Lee, Roland Rivers III and recent signings James Morgan, Troy Williams and Chase Fourcade. Something has to happen there. Now that the USFL can do trades, Lee and Rivers could be traded. Lee and Rivers could also be free agents and the Maulers may not want them back. I'd watch what happens at the QB spot for the Maulers there.