Big Week Upcoming for XFL

XFL Football discussion.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: Big Week Upcoming for XFL

Post by Gopher123 »

Let’s also remember the CFL had a chance to be part of this. No crying over spilled milk now. They need to forge their own path moving forward on how to expand interest.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

DavedaHammer wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:46 am
laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:35 pm Awesome! ESPN seems much more invested this time around compared to XFL 2.0.
ESPN is going to lose the CFL by the shitty way it's handling it relationship with the league . It basically buries the CFL on ESPN+. ESPN never gave the CFL a 2022 season primer or introduction of a new CFL season that the XFL got. It doesn't even post CFL scores on the ESPN Sports Center(unless it's Berman gives it some time for a few minutes on the pre-game show) or ticker

Netflix is looking to obtain live sports content. I hope Genius Sports can get a better deal with NF than what ESPN had with the CFL
The XFL gets about ten times the ratings the CFL gets when it's on linear TV. That's why ESPN buries the CFL. It's an auxiliary deal with their Canadian partners at TSN and it's thus easy to have an outlet in the U.S. without dealing with messy licensing deals.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

laxtreme56 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:35 pm Awesome! ESPN seems much more invested this time around compared to XFL 2.0.
ESPN is going to lose the CFL by the shitty way it's handling it relationship with the league . It basically buries the CFL on ESPN+. ESPN never gave the CFL a 2022 season primer or introduction of a new CFL season that the XFL got. It doesn't even post CFL scores on the ESPN Sports Center(unless it's Berman gives it some time for a few minutes on the pre-game show) or ticker

Netflix is looking to obtain live sports content. I hope Genius Sports can get a better deal with NF than what ESPN had with the CFL
Netflix has had their issues as of late. If they do acquire live sports, it probably won't be until they fix their current problems.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

laxtreme56 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:54 am

Look at these CFL on ESPN2 ratings. ESPN will live just fine without the CFL, they could replace it with bowling and draw 300k+. https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/cfl-202 ... -on-espn2/
You mean the CFL will do better without ESPN. ESPN will treat the XFL the same way it did with the CFL. ESPN has NBA, NHL, College Basketball way ahead on it viewing menu. It will replace the CFL on ESPN+, ESPN news. The XFL won't get a sniff on it's main platform with NBA, NHL and CB in full schedule mode
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Gopher123 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:05 am Let’s also remember the CFL had a chance to be part of this. No crying over spilled milk now. They need to forge their own path moving forward on how to expand interest.
The CFL wasn't going to sell it's soul to a twice failed league that had nothing built up. How can a league build interest when it's buried behind a cable wall? it's shitty that ESPN is treating the CFL like red headed step-child.
The relationship the CFL has with ESPN expires after next week's Grey Cup. I will be glad to see another partner that wants help promote the CFL game
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:25 am

The XFL gets about ten times the ratings the CFL gets when it's on linear TV. That's why ESPN buries the CFL. It's an auxiliary deal with their Canadian partners at TSN and it's thus easy to have an outlet in the U.S. without dealing with messy licensing deals.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

You forgot rating for the XFL was declining each week before the Pandemic hit. It was the reason why Vince pulled the plug on the league, the Pandemic gave him an excuse to cease operations of the XFL. ESPN buries the CFL by totally ignoring the league exists. ESPN paid the CFL $200,000 a year that is separate from the TSN deal. ESPN could've made twenty times that much showcasing the CFL into the summer months when there is no football. I think the CFL can get a better deal than what ESPN paid to them. I wouldn't be surprised that ESPN gave the same deal to the Rock and his XFL league like what the CFL got
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:04 pm

Netflix has had their issues as of late. If they do acquire live sports, it probably won't be until they fix their current problems.
Netflix problems are fixable with little time. Disney on the other hand has to decide if it wants to purchase Comcast for Hulu to blend ESPN with. That transaction is going to cost them. Disney+ lost money with popular franchises like Star Wars and Marvel.

If Netflix can resurrect F1 in US market. It can do so for the CFL
laxtreme56
Coach

Post by laxtreme56 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:44 am

You forgot rating for the XFL was declining each week before the Pandemic hit. It was the reason why Vince pulled the plug on the league, the Pandemic gave him an excuse to cease operations of the XFL. ESPN buries the CFL by totally ignoring the league exists. ESPN paid the CFL $200,000 a year that is separate from the TSN deal. ESPN could've made twenty times that much showcasing the CFL into the summer months when there is no football. I think the CFL can get a better deal than what ESPN paid to them. I wouldn't be surprised that ESPN gave the same deal to the Rock and his XFL league like what the CFL got
Danny Garcia went on record saying the league would be a no-go without a lucrative TV deal, the XFL is getting a much better deal than the CFL. ESPN doesn't give much time to MLS, WNBA, Women's tennis/soccer, lacrosse, and a plethora of other sports they carry, the CFL is no different. The fact they had a game on ESPN2 in the middle of NFL season is better than they'd get elsewhere. I could maybe see the CFL winding up on Pluto TV or Stadium if that network is still around, possibly Youtube Live, but doubt any other major US network is lining up to show CFL games.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

laxtreme56 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:11 am
DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:44 am
Danny Garcia went on record saying the league would be a no-go without a lucrative TV deal, the XFL is getting a much better deal than the CFL. ESPN doesn't give much time to MLS, WNBA, Women's tennis/soccer, lacrosse, and a plethora of other sports they carry, the CFL is no different. The fact they had a game on ESPN2 in the middle of NFL season is better than they'd get elsewhere. I could maybe see the CFL winding up on Pluto TV or Stadium if that network is still around, possibly Youtube Live, but doubt any other major US network is lining up to show CFL games.
The XFL never disclosed the actual dollar amounts. They made an announcement and that was it. So one has to assume it isn't lucrative as the XFL thought it would be. It might be the same kind of deal Vince's XFL had with ESPN and ABC. It' might've been a take it or leave it offer, no matter how much star power the Rock brings. ESPN probably remembered that the XFL failed twice to be careful in any dealings with an inexperienced owners.

You're selling the CFL short by listing lower tiered platforms. Americans love football, they will get to love the CFL. Any deal what the CFL got($200,000)from ESPN would be much better and it's partner will undoubtedly promote the league better than ESPN did.

That is why the CFL needs to leave ESPN. The NHL realized that after 2004 season when it left ABC/ESPN for Versus/NBC. The funny thing now is ESPN is still ignoring the NHL after acquiring them to their stable of sports options.

I'll be glad when the CFL is gone from ESPN where it will treated much better in a better situation