XFL Football discussion.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Re: Big Week Upcoming for XFL

Post by Gopher123 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:59 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:05 am
DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:31 am

The CFL wasn't going to sell it's soul to a twice failed league that had nothing built up. How can a league build interest when it's buried behind a cable wall? it's shitty that ESPN is treating the CFL like red headed step-child.
The relationship the CFL has with ESPN expires after next week's Grey Cup. I will be glad to see another partner that wants help promote the CFL game
So the answer is to do nothing and blame/drop ESPN? I understand the purists not wanting to sell out but the league needs to start making some changes to grow the brand. We don’t know exactly what the proposals were in the meetings. Joining leagues might not have been the answer but they need to do something to get out of neutral. The clock is ticking.
Yes, go with a partner that will support and promote the CFL better. Go where you are wanted. It's just ESPN has too much on their plate to concentrate on the CFL. I'm okay for the CFL to move on from ESPN. I think they can find a better partner at a better price than what ESPN paid($200,000) them. Streaming is the new frontier. Time for the CFL to stake it's claim elsewhere. The NHL did the same, why can't the CFL do it too?
Well, 25 of the NHL’s teams are based in the US, compared to 0 CFL teams. NHL’s support is much broader so the NHL likely has more legitimate platform options based off demand. Plus, the NHL is the NHL. Not a smaller professional football league trying to play over half their schedule during the same time the NFL is playing it’s preseason/regular season games.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:09 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:26 am
Gopher123 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:05 am

So the answer is to do nothing and blame/drop ESPN? I understand the purists not wanting to sell out but the league needs to start making some changes to grow the brand. We don’t know exactly what the proposals were in the meetings. Joining leagues might not have been the answer but they need to do something to get out of neutral. The clock is ticking.
9 out of 9 teams are in Canada. nuff said
There is talk of expansion in Halifax/Atlantic region. Halifax is dragging their feet on it citing stadium costs. But I say the CFL expands into northern US cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Syracuse, Portland Ore, Seattle. Just need a couple of those cities I mentioned to revitalize the CFL.
How many years now has there been talk of the Halifax expansion? It’s been awhile. If they were to miraculously pull off a US expansion team, it would be a tough sell going up against the NFL. There was a time, yes, but I feel they missed their window. In order to be successful I feel like they needed to change their business plan to cultivate that. They appear to me to be too stuck in their ways to make the necessary changes needed to grow the league.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

Back on topic, the XFL signed some real talent at qb yesterday and much more talent across the board today and tomorrow. Excited for the league!
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:21 am
4th&long wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:26 am

9 out of 9 teams are in Canada. nuff said
There is talk of expansion in Halifax/Atlantic region. Halifax is dragging their feet on it citing stadium costs. But I say the CFL expands into northern US cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Syracuse, Portland Ore, Seattle. Just need a couple of those cities I mentioned to revitalize the CFL.
How many years now has there been talk of the Halifax expansion? It’s been awhile. If they were to miraculously pull off a US expansion team, it would be a tough sell going up against the NFL. There was a time, yes, but I feel they missed their window. In order to be successful I feel like they needed to change their business plan to cultivate that. They appear to me to be too stuck in their ways to make the necessary changes needed to grow the league.
And how many times has the XFL ceased operations. It has been a 20 year gap between the first XFL and XFL.2.

It's not a tough sell if the CFL goes into under serviced markets during the Summer. The CFL have changed it business model with a long-term CBA(does the XFL have one?) revenue sharing, a partnership with Genius Sports to find a US broadcasting partner. Got new owners in BC, Montreal and Toronto ain't going anywhere. Why do you think the Rock approached the CFL for a merger talks. The CFL was getting a new approach to business.

It's a big week upcoming for the CFL too. The Grey Cup is on this Sunday, Be sure to watch it.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:29 pm

And how many times has the XFL ceased operations. It has been a 20 year gap between the first XFL and XFL.2.

It's not a tough sell if the CFL goes into under serviced markets during the Summer. The CFL have changed it business model with a long-term CBA(does the XFL have one?) revenue sharing, a partnership with Genius Sports to find a US broadcasting partner. Got new owners in BC, Montreal and Toronto ain't going anywhere. Why do you think the Rock approached the CFL for a merger talks. The CFL was getting a new approach to business.

It's a big week upcoming for the CFL too. The Grey Cup is on this Sunday, Be sure to watch it.
So....any reaction to this?

https://frontofficesports.com/bears-fac ... w-stadium/
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm

Typical MacCaskeys. Cheaping out on their team and fanbase. Probably didn't want to pay the $84 million fee to break the lease with the city. Looks like they don't have the money for a move. They sure didn't want to pay Roquan Smith his money. And It will cost more for the relocation in the future.What a dumpster fire the Bears are
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:30 pm

Not only that, the obvious of how you're going to get cities and MLS/other tenants to sign off on lengthening the field 30 yards.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 am Back on topic, the XFL signed some real talent at qb yesterday and much more talent across the board today and tomorrow. Excited for the league!
QB's I see easier. I don't have the eye for the other positions as much, but the names I knew seem solid.

Question: What exactly is the term for the XFL player contract?
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

My favorite three picks are (self-promotion on) guys that I've talked about or played in games that I did:

Brandon Arconado and Max Borghi both played in the Wazzu/Houston game at NRG in 2019 that was an all-star game in itself (Leach vs. Holgorsen, Stoops and Spurrier in the house). BA was the game's top receiver, and Borghi had 100 total yards. Naturally Stoops drafts one, and the other goes to Houston. I would have thought Borghi to Seattle based on the pseudo-connection with June Jones (Rolovich, longtime JJ assistants Morrison and McKnight).

But not that the Dragons came out empty-handed. I also talked a lot about Tre Walker althroughout 2021 (both spring and "regular" season), good week for guys named Tre who play/will play in Seattle.

An unnoticed QB tidbit: With Sunday being the 40th of Cal/Stanford, the closest ever to replicating it was Western Michigan/Ball State in 2020 (although as a scrimmage play), where WMU appeared to have won on a multi-lateral that ended up with Skyy Moore running past a horde of BSU players who flooded the field. Ball State was called for their sideline emptying, but WMU was called for an illegal forward lateral, ending the game, sending Ball State to the MAC title game. The QB matchup? Kaleb Eleby (Roughnecks), who technically would have thrown the game-winning TD pass, vs. Drew Plitt (Renegades).
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:07 pm
Gopher123 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 am Back on topic, the XFL signed some real talent at qb yesterday and much more talent across the board today and tomorrow. Excited for the league!
QB's I see easier. I don't have the eye for the other positions as much, but the names I knew seem solid.

Question: What exactly is the term for the XFL player contract?
I believe the last I saw it was at least a year. So I don’t know if that means a league or player option for a year 2. Haven’t really seen any deeper details on that.