XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

XFL Football discussion.
herns
Head Coach

Re: XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

Post by herns »

4th&long wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:20 pm
GDAWG wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:45 pm
With all of that out of the way, here’s where the nine quarterbacks spotted working with Jordan Palmer are headed, provided they are still available in the coming weeks.

Louisville/PVA&M QB: Jawon Pass (San Antonio)
Miami QB: D’Eriq King (DC)
Troy QB: Brandon Silvers (Houston)
Colorado QB: Steven Montez (Seattle)
Baylor/NC State QB: Jalan McClendon (Las Vegas)
Ball State QB: Drew Plitt (Arlington)
Virginia Tech QB: Ryan Willis (St. Louis)
FSU/Hampton QB: Deondre Francois (Orlando)

There are no guarantees that any of these players will be day one starters, and a lot can happen with player movement in the coming months. But getting in on the ground floor of XFL 3.0 certainly gives them a head start.
https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-the ... 5c292e4143
Bryan Scott, who was in attendance but not on the list - is still listed on the USFL Star's Roster. USFL seems to be maintaining the list as up-to-date since resent signing QB James Morgan is listed on the USFL Mauler's roster.

How does this list compare to XFL 2.0 and USFL?
Interesting of Mitchell to report Scott’s contractual status is a question/unknown. It’s an odd situation and idk what to expect of it, I assume if he wasn’t under contract with USFL then he wouldn’t be on the website. Whole thing is odd
4th&long
MVP

Re: XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:42 pm
Bryan Scott, who was in attendance but not on the list - is still listed on the USFL Star's Roster. USFL seems to be maintaining the list as up-to-date since resent signing QB James Morgan is listed on the USFL Mauler's roster.

Interesting of Mitchell to report Scott’s contractual status is a question/unknown. It’s an odd situation and idk what to expect of it, I assume if he wasn’t under contract with USFL then he wouldn’t be on the website. Whole thing is odd
Its possible he is under USFL contract thru 12/31 and wasnt extended in 2023 he's a future FA as of 1/1/23
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:53 pm

Looks like the XFL 3.0 is going after younger guys. Out of this entire group, Steven Montez has the most NFL experience and even then his NFL experience was nothing more than a practice squad QB. Drew Plitt was in camp with the Bengals and I think McClendon was in camp with Washington after the XFL 2.0 ended. I don't think Francios and Pass have been in any NFL camps.
The point of hiring 8 QB's earlier was so they could of prep with C Palmer to get better QB play vs USFL shorter camp ... So these should be the anticipated starters for the XFL season. It was also to generate PR
That being said I don't see this group as moving the needle PR wise, and they are comparable or below the USFL 2022 passers and certainly from the XFL 2020. Having said that, this is what you'd expect
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GDAWG wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:33 pm There's still a good list of those who are still free agents:

NFL Free Agents: Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon, AJ McCarron, Jake Fromm, Kevin Hogan, Garrett Gilbert, Anthony Gordon, Nate Stanley, Brian Lewerke, Brandon Peters, Brett Hundley, Cole Kelley, Carson Strong, Reid Sinnett, Jack Coan, Ben DiNucci
CFL Free Agents: Joe Mancuso, Khalil Tate, Chase Litton, Cole McDonald, Tom Flacco, Kevin Thomson
Rookies: Kaleb Eleby, Aqeel Glass, Nick Starkel, Davis Cheek, Jake Floriea
This list is probably going to change with Miami
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pm

Looks like the XFL 3.0 is going after younger guys. Out of this entire group, Steven Montez has the most NFL experience and even then his NFL experience was nothing more than a practice squad QB. Drew Plitt was in camp with the Bengals and I think McClendon was in camp with Washington after the XFL 2.0 ended. I don't think Francios and Pass have been in any NFL camps.
The point of hiring 8 QB's earlier was so they could of prep with C Palmer to get better QB play vs USFL shorter camp ... So these should be the anticipated starters for the XFL season. It was also to generate PR
That being said I don't see this group as moving the needle PR wise, and they are comparable or below the USFL 2022 passers and certainly from the XFL 2020. Having said that, this is what you'd expect
I don’t think we can really compare qbs between the two leagues yet. Come week 1 of XFL is really the time to compare their game day starters to USFL game day starters. Throughout the season will also paint a clearer picture on who is where talent wise. I don’t think most of these names will be week 1 starters, some maybe not even backups. It depends on who becomes available.

Previously, I too was under the impression that only starting qbs would work with Palmer to improve and be ready when February came. Now, to me, it looks like it’s more about developing talent for down the road. Injuries, starters underperforming, (like McGloin for example),etc. Perhaps the XFL found it difficult to get more established qbs to commit this early. I’m starting to like their multi leveled approach, but it’s definitely not what I felt the Jordan Palmer big announcement was going to be originally. Again, that he was working with the starters. Also, it was said the qbs working with Palmer would already be under XFL contract and wouldn’t be available to go to the NFL. Now after reading MM’s article it appears they haven’t signed a contract. A very fluid situation, I guess.

It’s looking like we may not have a complete list of XFL qbs until perhaps through January, as some may sign after their NFL season ends. Which is fine by me.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

4th&long wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:50 pm
herns wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:42 pm

Its possible he is under USFL contract thru 12/31 and wasnt extended in 2023 he's a future FA as of 1/1/23
This could very well be the case but would be strange. Being it’s a league option, and knowing he was going to be one of the better qbs in the league, (and was), it’s odd he wouldn’t have been extended. Perhaps, he only would play on an agreed one year deal or his injury voided that contract somehow.
FootballYoda
Quarterback

Post by FootballYoda »

Bryan Scott is a maybe, but probably in my books. They’ll figure it out. This from XFL analyst.
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:51 amBeing it’s a league option, and knowing he was going to be one of the better qbs in the league, (and was), it’s odd he wouldn’t have been extended.
Maybe Andrus doesn't want to pick up an option on a QB that doesn't want to be there. The margins between all of these players is so thin that it seems pretty short sighted to hold anyone hostage, imo.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 am
Gopher123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:51 amBeing it’s a league option, and knowing he was going to be one of the better qbs in the league, (and was), it’s odd he wouldn’t have been extended.
Maybe Andrus doesn't want to pick up an option on a QB that doesn't want to be there. The margins between all of these players is so thin that it seems pretty short sighted to hold anyone hostage, imo.
Remember while his team is the Stars his contract is with the USFL, he could be reassigned.

As far as this guy saying he wasn't assigned a team because of his unknown USFL contract status... I think he has no clue and is speculating on that. XFL isn't looking to enhance USFL players.
The original USFL contract was thru 12/31 and USFL had the option to extend into 2023, did they for Scott? Who knows. And if USFL didn't pay him while out that may make it a gray area.
So Scott could be a FA on 1/1 and while under contract with USFL during off season knowing his future status he is going along with XFL until he legally can sign, or USFL makes a better offer.
Need more facts.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:40 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pm

I don’t think we can really compare qbs between the two leagues yet. Come week 1 of XFL is really the time to compare their game day starters to USFL game day starters. Throughout the season will also paint a clearer picture on who is where talent wise. I don’t think most of these names will be week 1 starters, some maybe not even backups. It depends on who becomes available.

Previously, I too was under the impression that only starting qbs would work with Palmer to improve and be ready when February came. Now, to me, it looks like it’s more about developing talent for down the road. Injuries, starters underperforming, (like McGloin for example),etc. Perhaps the XFL found it difficult to get more established qbs to commit this early. I’m starting to like their multi leveled approach, but it’s definitely not what I felt the Jordan Palmer big announcement was going to be originally. Again, that he was working with the starters. Also, it was said the qbs working with Palmer would already be under XFL contract and wouldn’t be available to go to the NFL. Now after reading MM’s article it appears they haven’t signed a contract. A very fluid situation, I guess.

It’s looking like we may not have a complete list of XFL qbs until perhaps through January, as some may sign after their NFL season ends. Which is fine by me.
You were under that impression cause that's how the league sold it. It was also "leaked" or stated that 'since QB is important to the game' they wanted to sign their starters early and coach them up as well as market them in their cities. So they seem to softly ignore that and just move on. Perhaps next week they will make annoucements.