XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
MVP

Re: XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

Post by GDAWG »

Mike Mitchell on the Markcast said that the XFL contacted Blake Bortles, but that Bortles is holding out go get back to the NFL.
Sounder
Coach

Re: XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

Post by Sounder »

With the exception of Silvers, I have never heard of any of these.... but it's ok ....they never heard of me either.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:06 am
Gopher123 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:40 am
4th&long wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pm

The point of hiring 8 QB's earlier was so they could of prep with C Palmer to get better QB play vs USFL shorter camp ... So these should be the anticipated starters for the XFL season. It was also to generate PR
That being said I don't see this group as moving the needle PR wise, and they are comparable or below the USFL 2022 passers and certainly from the XFL 2020. Having said that, this is what you'd expect
I don’t think we can really compare qbs between the two leagues yet. Come week 1 of XFL is really the time to compare their game day starters to USFL game day starters. Throughout the season will also paint a clearer picture on who is where talent wise. I don’t think most of these names will be week 1 starters, some maybe not even backups. It depends on who becomes available.

Previously, I too was under the impression that only starting qbs would work with Palmer to improve and be ready when February came. Now, to me, it looks like it’s more about developing talent for down the road. Injuries, starters underperforming, (like McGloin for example),etc. Perhaps the XFL found it difficult to get more established qbs to commit this early. I’m starting to like their multi leveled approach, but it’s definitely not what I felt the Jordan Palmer big announcement was going to be originally. Again, that he was working with the starters. Also, it was said the qbs working with Palmer would already be under XFL contract and wouldn’t be available to go to the NFL. Now after reading MM’s article it appears they haven’t signed a contract. A very fluid situation, I guess.

It’s looking like we may not have a complete list of XFL qbs until perhaps through January, as some may sign after their NFL season ends. Which is fine by me.
You were under that impression cause that's how the league sold it. It was also "leaked" or stated that 'since QB is important to the game' they wanted to sign their starters early and coach them up as well as market them in their cities. So they seem to softly ignore that and just move on. Perhaps next week they will make annoucements.
I think we were all guilty of reading into Palmer's involvement that he would be working with presumptive "starters," but nowhere in the press release (the only thing put out by the league about his involvement) does it mention that word. Maybe the league thought they'd be able to get more Benkert-types in the fold early and assumed their starters would be working with Palmer and be assigned to teams. But that may no longer be the case, especially knowing the XFL's interest in other veteran QBs on the market who may not sign until much later. These guys working with Palmer will have a leg-up, no doubt, but I think it's a mistake to assume they'll be the starters come February.

I also think the attitude of "these MUST be the starters" is a little insulting to team coaching staffs and QB competitions that should be open in training camp; if these guys come in and don't perform in January, they shouldn't be starting regardless of whether they were assigned to teams or worked with Palmer or not.
@gregmparks
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

Sounder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:24 pm With the exception of Silvers, I have never heard of any of these.... but it's ok ....they never heard of me either.
Francois was in FCF and Scott was in the USFL this past year. They're not huge names, but not Ben Holmes, either. :lol:
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Names like Blake Bortles, AJ McCarron, Garrett Gilbert and Mike Glennon are out there, but most likely are holding out for NFL opportunities. Glennon recently tried out for the 49ers when Trey Lance went down. Glennon was terrible last season in the NFL with the Giants and Tyrod Taylor is a massive upgrade from Glennon. Not sure if Glennon would do any better in the XFL. Bortles probably thinks he can be a "he's still in the league?" guy as fellow first round failure Blaine Gabbert has been with the Bucs and Brian Hoyer with the Patriots and Chase Daniel with the Chargers. Bortles, McCarron, Gilbert and Glennon may be January guys along with names like Jake Fromm and Brett Hundley. Right now these guys are waiting for their NFL returns.

And then still a free agent is a former NFL MVP. But he fits the "not a chance in hell" category for the XFL. Plus when he played in the NFL the last two years, he had nothing left and it seems unlikely he would be interested in the XFL.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

I am content not to speculate but just to closely watch the QB competitions when they eventually develop.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
Tank55
MVP

Post by Tank55 »

Sounder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:24 pm With the exception of Silvers, I have never heard of any of these.... but it's ok ....they never heard of me either.
Crazy to me that we have XFL fans that don't follow college football.

PSA: college football is absolutely, hilariously bananas. If you like football enough to watch the XFL, you will love college football.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Tank55 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:36 pm
Crazy to me that we have XFL fans that don't follow college football.

PSA: college football is absolutely, hilariously bananas. If you like football enough to watch the XFL, you will love college football.
CFB ... IS fun but soooo many teams its hard to remember all the names.
Firecop
Coach

Post by Firecop »

Really? Who doesn't watch CFB? Go Huskies!
Direct from the Dragon's Lair
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

4th&long wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:15 pm CFB ... IS fun but soooo many teams its hard to remember all the names.
Indeed, and not only are there around 65 teams in the Power Five conferences alone, but dozens more in the mid-majors and FCS, which are on obscure cable channels if they're on TV at all. (And that doesn't even begin to touch D-II, D-III, NAIA and sprint ball.)

Throw in the fact that some of these names graduated several years ago, and it's easy to forget a LOT of them. I vaguely remember D'Eriq King, and he was on a Miami squad that was on TV a lot! All you really remember about those Hurricanes squads are those darned turnover chains...