XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

XFL Football discussion.
Tank55
MVP

Re: XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

Post by Tank55 »

Coffeeeyes wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:52 pmOf course the FCF isn't real football
Agreed.
2020 East Division Champions
2021 February Monthly T-Shirt Giveaway Champion
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL: The First Group Of Tentatively Assigned Quarterbacks For The 2023 Season

Post by GregParks »

FWIW, this note from Inside the League's Friday Wrap e-mail that they send out each Friday:

"The league (XFL) has identified 10-14 quarterbacks who will be targeted once the league irons out a few contract issues." That is from a conversation with Doug Whaley. No word on if that 10-14 includes the eight already working with Jordan Palmer, but I wonder if some of those "contract issues" refer to USFL contracts.

Also of note: The draft was confirmed for November 16th and 17th. I think we already knew the 16th (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3978), but this confirms it will be a two-day affair. And, "Offensive linemen are a priority as the league continues to add to its player pool." Probably the second or third most important position behind QB as bad OL play can even make good QBs look bad.
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:52 am FWIW, this note from Inside the League's Friday Wrap e-mail that they send out each Friday:

"The league (XFL) has identified 10-14 quarterbacks who will be targeted once the league irons out a few contract issues." That is from a conversation with Doug Whaley. No word on if that 10-14 includes the eight already working with Jordan Palmer, but I wonder if some of those "contract issues" refer to USFL contracts.

Also of note: The draft was confirmed for November 16th and 17th. I think we already knew the 16th (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3978), but this confirms it will be a two-day affair. And, "Offensive linemen are a priority as the league continues to add to its player pool." Probably the second or third most important position behind QB as bad OL play can even make good QBs look bad.
That is true, even in the NFL. Look at Tampa Bay. In 2020 and 2021, they had the same five starters on the Offensive Line: Donovan Smith, Ali Marpet, Ryan Jensen, Alex Cappa and Tristian Wirfs. Now it's 2022, and Marpet has retired, Jensen is out with a serious knee injury (the hope is to return in December), and Cappa is blocking for Joe Burrow in Cincy. They have been replaced by Shaq Mason, a former teammate of TB12 in New England, Luke Goedeke, a rookie and Robert Hainsey, a backup from 2021. One of their key backups, Aaron Stinne (who played quite well as a starter during the Bucs Super Bowl run) is out for the year. That OL hasn't given Brady room to throw and during the game against the Chiefs, they didn't help the running game (a total of 4 yards).
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Davis Cheek, Cole McDonald to XFL

Post by GregParks »

As a follow-up, per XFL News Hub, Davis Cheek and Cole McDonald are two more QBs who have signed XFL contracts. The site reports both QBs are working at the NFL Alumni Academy. I like McDonald so I'm glad the league was able to secure his services (was hoping he'd be an assigned QB, actually).

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/former- ... contracts/
@gregmparks
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Davis Cheek, Cole McDonald to XFL

Post by GDAWG »

GregParks wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:33 pm As a follow-up, per XFL News Hub, Davis Cheek and Cole McDonald are two more QBs who have signed XFL contracts. The site reports both QBs are working at the NFL Alumni Academy. I like McDonald so I'm glad the league was able to secure his services (was hoping he'd be an assigned QB, actually).

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/former- ... contracts/
If Cole McDonald ever throws a pass in the NFL and throws a TD pass it will be "TD pass from Cole McDonald Had a Farm" from Chris Berman.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

GregParks wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:52 am FWIW, this note from Inside the League's Friday Wrap e-mail that they send out each Friday:

I’m kinda confused by how the USFL contract situations with some seem to be unknown/iffy, just odd
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:37 pm

I’m kinda confused by how the USFL contract situations with some seem to be unknown/iffy, just odd
Its possible the USFL contracts are through 12/31/22, so those players would not be eligible to sign until the contract expired. But as you say there isn't much clarity
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Think Eric Dungey might end up being one? He was just the answer to a trivia question (last QB of an unranked team to beat a top 5 Clemson--2017), might at least get some mileage off it--especially the same partner, they might even run it back.
herns
Head Coach

Post by herns »

I can’t wait to actually understand where Bryan Scott is going to play. My guess has been he wants out because cookus is the stars franchise guy but that’s a guess.