XFL Football discussion.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Re: Jordan Palmer's Instagram features XFL QBs at his HQ

Post by DavedaHammer »

laxtreme56 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:24 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:05 pm
4th&long wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:30 am

It will likely come down to $$$. If is comparable I'd say they will stay, but XFL may open check book wider. And don't count out late NFL signings as injuries increase... which could allow more cross league transfers.
The CFL has set the QB standard for pay amongst alt leagues. Jake Maier and Tyler Cornelious signed for 2 two years at $400,000 each with the kicker being 50% of their final year in their contract retained($100,000 at least) according to 3 Downnation.

The XFL should match what the CFL pays if they want to keep their guys satisfied
Not sure the XFL needs to counter. Firstly, the XFL will play half as many games as the CFL so no need to overpay. Secondly, the season ends right before NFL camps start, which will make it easier to sign with the NFL. Look how many USFL guys got injured in the NFL preseason by having nearly no time off between games, another benefit of playing right after the SuperBowl
Vince paid close to a million for Landry Jones and Matt McCloin. He had no problem overpaying them and they only played 5 games. If you want to keep good QBs, you have to pay them. The CFL did. The XFL is now just don't know what they have at QB. The Palmer QB gathering is a crap shoot
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 pm
DavedaHammer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:05 pm
The CFL has set the QB standard for pay amongst alt leagues. Jake Maier and Tyler Cornelious signed for 2 two years at $400,000 each with the kicker being 50% of their final year in their contract retained($100,000 at least) according to 3 Downnation.

The XFL should match what the CFL pays if they want to keep their guys satisfied
Not sure the XFL needs to counter. Firstly, the XFL will play half as many games as the CFL so no need to overpay. Secondly, the season ends right before NFL camps start, which will make it easier to sign with the NFL. Look how many USFL guys got injured in the NFL preseason by having nearly no time off between games, another benefit of playing right after the SuperBowl
Vince paid close to a million for Landry Jones and Matt McCloin. He had no problem overpaying them and they only played 5 games. If you want to keep good QBs, you have to pay them. The CFL did. The XFL is now just don't know what they have at QB. The Palmer QB gathering is a crap shoot
The guys the XFL likely wanted have all been holding out waiting for NFL interest. I wouldn't be surprised if the XFL had interest in Jake Fromm, Bryan Lewerke and AJ McCarron but all three were waiting for NFL interest and tried out for the New York Giants. I would also guess they were interested in Garrett Gilbert but he waited for NFL opportunities and did so signing with the Patriots Practice Squad.

Mike Mitchell said on the Markcast that the XFL had interest in Blake Bortles, but he was waiting for NFL interest.

I don't know if McCarron, Fromm, Lewerke, Bortles, or Mike Glennon would be good options though. All were mediocre to terrible QBs in the NFL.

Also, Landry Jones, Matt McGloin and Aaron Murray were all washed up coming into the XFL. They did nothing of substance in the NFL, so it wasn't surprising that they did nothing in the XFL.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:30 pm

The guys the XFL likely wanted have all been holding out waiting for NFL interest. I wouldn't be surprised if the XFL had interest in Jake Fromm, Bryan Lewerke and AJ McCarron but all three were waiting for NFL interest and tried out for the New York Giants. I would also guess they were interested in Garrett Gilbert but he waited for NFL opportunities and did so signing with the Patriots Practice Squad.

Mike Mitchell said on the Markcast that the XFL had interest in Blake Bortles, but he was waiting for NFL interest.

I don't know if McCarron, Fromm, Lewerke, Bortles, or Mike Glennon would be good options though. All were mediocre to terrible QBs in the NFL.

Also, Landry Jones, Matt McGloin and Aaron Murray were all washed up coming into the XFL. They did nothing of substance in the NFL, so it wasn't surprising that they did nothing in the XFL.
Not to mention Murray was well into his TV career at that point, resulting in Tom Hart (I don't think they're on the same announce team though, looks like he's just on the overflow) doing what ended up being the final game, with Murray as QB3
GDAWG
MVP

Re: Jordan Palmer's Instagram features XFL QBs at HQ

Post by GDAWG »

There's a major free agent QB out there who's name I have not mentioned because it's unlikely he would ever play in the XFL. It's more likely that we see AJ McCarron or Mike Glennon in the XFL than this free agent, however much like Glennon, AJ McCarron and Jake Fromm, this guy has nothing left in the tank as a QB. While Glennon, McCarron, and Fromm have had mediocre NFL careers, this guy was once an elite QB. This guy I am talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton

It's unlikely he has any interest in playing in the XFL. His last two seasons in the NFL have been mediocre and showed he had nothing left in the tank.
Gopher123
Quarterback

Post by Gopher123 »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 am There's a major free agent QB out there who's name I have not mentioned because it's unlikely he would ever play in the XFL. It's more likely that we see AJ McCarron or Mike Glennon in the XFL than this free agent, however much like Glennon, AJ McCarron and Jake Fromm, this guy has nothing left in the tank as a QB. While Glennon, McCarron, and Fromm have had mediocre NFL careers, this guy was once an elite QB. This guy I am talking about?

It's unlikely he has any interest in playing in the XFL. His last two seasons in the NFL have been mediocre and showed he had nothing left in the tank.
But you have mentioned him, over and over again. You left him off the list because you don’t think he will play in the XFL. I don’t think anyone is passionately arguing that. I’m not sure why you keep restating your point? I think everyone gets it for like the tenth time.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Gopher123 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:45 am
GDAWG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 am There's a major free agent QB out there who's name I have not mentioned because it's unlikely he would ever play in the XFL. It's more likely that we see AJ McCarron or Mike Glennon in the XFL than this free agent, however much like Glennon, AJ McCarron and Jake Fromm, this guy has nothing left in the tank as a QB. While Glennon, McCarron, and Fromm have had mediocre NFL careers, this guy was once an elite QB. This guy I am talking about?

But you have mentioned him, over and over again. You left him off the list because you don’t think he will play in the XFL. I don’t think anyone is passionately arguing that. I’m not sure why you keep restating your point? I think everyone gets it for like the tenth time.
He's made millions in the NFL - he isn't playing in the XFL for 100-200k. That goes for most multiyear QBs that were busts (Bortles) or washed out (Cam). They made their (big) money.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Okay, I won't mention Cam anymore.

I hope that guys like Mike Glennon, DeShone Kizer and Brett Hundley are not on the radar for the XFL because they suck. Cardale Jones is washed as well but he'll probably end up in the XFL somewhere. Jake Fromm sucks too, but there's a chance he can get better because he's still quite young as a professional football player. I'd rather go after someone like Fromm, who although he has sucked in the NFL, has a chance to get better rather than someone like Glennon, Kizer or Hundley, who's probably hit their ceilings as QBs.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:30 pm

Those guys you listed above aren't in playing in the XFL. Bortles retire before considering the XFL.

Remember Landry, McGloin had a name attached to them so, Vince signed them to get to legitimize his league
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

GDAWG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:14 pm Okay, I won't mention Cam anymore.

I hope that guys like Mike Glennon, DeShone Kizer and Brett Hundley are not on the radar for the XFL because they suck. Cardale Jones is washed as well but he'll probably end up in the XFL somewhere. Jake Fromm sucks too, but there's a chance he can get better because he's still quite young as a professional football player. I'd rather go after someone like Fromm, who although he has sucked in the NFL, has a chance to get better rather than someone like Glennon, Kizer or Hundley, who's probably hit their ceilings as QBs.
Kizer probably priced himself out the XFL salary range. Kizer was in talks with the Toronto Argos last year, never signed. I have to guess he wanted to too much money to play in the CFL
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

DavedaHammer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:43 pm
GDAWG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:14 pm Okay, I won't mention Cam anymore.

Kizer probably priced himself out the XFL salary range. Kizer was in talks with the Toronto Argos last year, never signed. I have to guess he wanted to too much money to play in the CFL
More than likely it is because Kizer sucks.