Player 54 Podcast

XFL Football discussion.
Loogan
Kicker

Player 54 Podcast

Post by Loogan »

I saw this, including a plea for support. I wonder what kind of blackmail the league is pulling here. A new low.

FootballYoda
Quarterback

Re: Player 54 Podcast

Post by FootballYoda »

What happens when the XFL trademarks player 54? Isn’t that one of their catch phrases.
Loogan
Kicker

Post by Loogan »

FootballYoda wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:29 pm What happens when the XFL trademarks player 54? Isn’t that one of their catch phrases.
I hope that doesn’t happen. I’d like to support this move.
Joker
Quarterback

Post by Joker »

Right now the XFL is a money pit funded by investors that is trying to convert cash into football revenue. Why would they crap on a podcast that’s trying to support and promote their enterprise? Seems counterproductive.
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.
DavedaHammer
Quarterback

Post by DavedaHammer »

Phuck 'em. Go cover the CFL instead like how Reid has done on the Markcast
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

Loogan wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:16 pm I saw this, including a plea for support. I wonder what kind of blackmail the league is pulling here. A new low.

It's a Fan first league! For the Fans!

"Access to Coaches, league staff members and players must be coordinated through the league".

Translation, they'll be controlling every aspect of the "narrative" just like the scripted WWE. Woo hoo. For the Fans!

Questions you won't hear discussed: "Sportico reported in the summer that the XFL was looking to sell up to 45% of the league for $125 million. Would you care to comment or elaborate?"

Also I would think the next logical step is from podcasts to websites using "XFL"...
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

4th&long wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:56 am
Loogan wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:16 pm I saw this, including a plea for support. I wonder what kind of blackmail the league is pulling here. A new low.

It's a Fan first league! For the Fans!

"Access to Coaches, league staff members and players must be coordinated through the league".Translation, they'll be controlling every aspect of the "narrative" just like the scripted WWE. Woo hoo. For the Fans!

Questions you won't hear discussed: "Sportico reported in the summer that the XFL was looking to sell up to 45% of the league for $125 million. Would you care to comment or elaborate?"

Also I would think the next logical step is from podcasts to websites using "XFL"...
So I looked into this thinking "the NFL does the same" and the answer is "kind of but not really." The differences are that all 32 NFL teams have their own team reporters on their YouTube pages but also the access to coaches, front office personnel and players are through the individual teams rather than the league itself. Rich Eisen recently had both Daniel Jones and Cooper Rush on his show, it's likely his people contacted the Giants and Cowboys themselves rather than the league. Pat McAfee recently had Von Miller and likely that was due to his people contacting the Bills, but his show already had a professional relationship with the Bills as he's had Jordan Poyer, Josh Allen and GM Brandon Beane on before. Pat's show also has a pre-existing relationship with the Colts (well of course since he played for them) and the Chargers (he's had GM Tom Telesco on, but Telesco drafted him).

Sure all of that has a lot to do with NFL teams being well established but instead of contacting the NFL for access, all 32 NFL teams have their own YouTube channels with free behind the scenes access plus it's through the teams rather than the league. Some of these individual channels have their own podcasts. You want to talk to Patrick Mahomes? Ask the Chiefs for permission. Also the NFL hasn't clamped down on any podcasts or websites of any teams.

This mode of "XFL controls all media access to players, coaches and league personnel" is a bit of a bad look.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

Unaffiliated media having to go through the league or teams to interview members of that league or team is not specific to the XFL - it happens in every major league and/or with every team (wrestling fans may recall that MJF got in hot water with Tony Khan for doing a podcast interview that was not approved through AEW channels). This aspect of the story is a non-story.

I do wonder if, as team staffs continue to get built, they'll have their own PR people to contact for media relations specific to players/coaches on that team. In other words, if I wanted to get a press pass to attend an Orlando game, I would go through Orlando rather than the league itself. That's how it was in 2020. I'm not sure those team-specific departments are up and running yet, though.
@gregmparks
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

GregParks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm Unaffiliated media having to go through the league or teams to interview members of that league or team is not specific to the XFL - it happens in every major league and/or with every team (wrestling fans may recall that MJF got in hot water with Tony Khan for doing a podcast interview that was not approved through AEW channels). This aspect of the story is a non-story.

I do wonder if, as team staffs continue to get built, they'll have their own PR people to contact for media relations specific to players/coaches on that team. In other words, if I wanted to get a press pass to attend an Orlando game, I would go through Orlando rather than the league itself. That's how it was in 2020. I'm not sure those team-specific departments are up and running yet, though.
Is this how XFL 2.0 handled it? Was Brock Huard interview on The_Markcast approved by the USFL? Or did Brock get the approval or not need it. Bottomline it will limit access as its intended to by design. That's their decision to control all aspects of the league. Since they want this to be a media venture as much as FB I guess that's their MO.
Also unrelated to XFL, but related to the DG/Rk, apparently they scrutinize all aspects of a movie, project etc and want control of anything related to Rock's "imagine".

I would imagine all XFL branded websites will be asked to rebrand as well.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

4th&long wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:21 pm
GregParks wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:59 pm Unaffiliated media having to go through the league or teams to interview members of that league or team is not specific to the XFL - it happens in every major league and/or with every team (wrestling fans may recall that MJF got in hot water with Tony Khan for doing a podcast interview that was not approved through AEW channels). This aspect of the story is a non-story.

Is this how XFL 2.0 handled it? Was Brock Huard interview on The_Markcast approved by the USFL? Or did Brock get the approval or not need it. Bottomline it will limit access as its intended to by design. That's their decision to control all aspects of the league.
I don't know how XFL 2.0 handled it. Maybe Mark can speak to that. Each team had a PR person (and of course the league did as well), so I'm assuming you had to go through them to get someone from the league to talk. I don't recall a lot of in-season interviews on podcasts or in written form in 2020, at least for XFL-centric sites. Brock Huard works for Fox, not USFL, so that's an odd example. I get that Fox owns the USFL but Huard doesn't work specifically for the league. I feel like Reid on the Markcast has mentioned in the past trying to get USFL guests on his show but the USFL PR people not getting back to him/kinda giving him the run-around.

It doesn't necessarily limit access, what it limits is podcast hosts going into players/coaches DMs and inviting them onto a podcast without going through proper channels. It doesn't mean the league won't allow players/coaches to take part in interviews like these, just that the hosts have to go through a process to ask and schedule them. And again, this happens with every major league sport.
@gregmparks