All team names leak through xfl shop

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
MVP

Re: All team names leak through xfl shop

Post by MGB01 »

MarkNelson wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 pm I bet they are thinking along the lines of "Sea Dragons" is almost like "Seahawks," right?

If you love the Seahawks you gotta like the Sea Dragons.
You know I was surprised that Seawolves was never used for the IFL team when it had the Seattle branding, instead whoever the hell thought it was good idea to use an NBA name (too soon) at that time, I mean it might as well have been Seattle Thunder.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

herns wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:17 am
MarkNelson wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:10 am DC Defenders
Houston Roughnecks
St. Louis BattleHawks
Arlington Renegades
Orlando Guardians
Seattle Sea Dragons
Vegas Vipers

Orlando Guardians makes little sense. How will they stretch that to justify the connection?

Las Vegas Vipers is cool in that it is alliterative. Fun to say. From Wikipedia "All rattlesnakes are vipers," so there is a connection to a local dangerous critter.

San Antonio Brahmas makes sense, and yes there is a connection to The Rock's product line. Doesn't he have a tattoo as well? Lone Star Brahmas is an NAHL hockey team based in DFW. Brahmas has many meanings, other than the more obvious Brahma bull.

Seattle Sea Dragons. A "Sea Dragon" is technically a leafy fish. I am sure they are going for more of a mythical dragon that comes from the sea?

Ya I think Sea dragons is just to try and force them to fit into the theme of the city. That was the one I meant as a downgrade, agreed on both the guardians who idk what they do with brand wise to trey and make it make sense and vipers being solid although I think they had a layup for vegas and missed with fans saying/wanting the Outlaws back and it being an overall great team brand from 2001.
Sea Dragons = new logo, maybe new colors

SA name is brutal. The rest I expect to see new logo's anyway, uni's and merchandise for sale.
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

MarkNelson wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:00 pm I bet they are thinking along the lines of "Sea Dragons" is almost like "Seahawks," right?

Eek. Now that you put it that way, you have to think the trademark lawyers are going to dig in somewhere along the way.
4th&long
MVP

Post by 4th&long »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:58 pm

Eek. Now that you put it that way, you have to think the trademark lawyers are going to dig in somewhere along the way.
Yep, ie rip off. For the Fans!
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

Orlando Guardians are going to get a cease and desist from a baseball team in Cleveland aren't they?
johnnyangryfuzzball
Head Coach

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball »

GDAWG wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:20 pm Orlando Guardians are going to get a cease and desist from a baseball team in Cleveland aren't they?
Which leads me to another possibility: what if these are, indeed, simply placeholders? It's probably a long shot (given how accurate most of the leaks have been to date) but this could be a trial balloon to see what lawyers sniff out the trademarks before they officially reveal the brands.

If they're keeping a 2020 brand, you'd think Orlando Wildcats might fit better.
GDAWG
MVP

Post by GDAWG »

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:43 pm
GDAWG wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:20 pm Orlando Guardians are going to get a cease and desist from a baseball team in Cleveland aren't they?
Which leads me to another possibility: what if these are, indeed, simply placeholders? It's probably a long shot (given how accurate most of the leaks have been to date) but this could be a trial balloon to see what lawyers sniff out the trademarks before they officially reveal the brands.

If they're keeping a 2020 brand, you'd think Orlando Wildcats might fit better.
Orlando Vipers and Las Vegas Wildcats.
MGB01
MVP

Post by MGB01 »

Why would they? XFL had it first, and the Guardians aren't even the only team in Cleveland with that name

Although they could always go the rumored/never-used/cult fav (UFL) Rockfish.
LetsGoBrandonSilvers
Linebacker

Post by LetsGoBrandonSilvers »

MGB01 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:26 pm
Not really a big fan of that for two reasons: One, Sonics (whenever the hell the NBA decides to bring them back, it'll be 15 years next summer) don't really have anything to do with sea, neither do Sounders nor Reign;
The Sounders name comes from the Puget Sound.
GregParks
UFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks »

It's funny...going back to the thread of the nickname reveals on this board in 2019, the Wildcats was easily the least favorite of the posters on this board - and it's the only one of the eight the league apparently isn't bringing back in any form.
@gregmparks